webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   webOS Apps & Games (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-apps-games/)
-   -   TuneIn Radio - questions (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-apps-games/290090-tunein-radio-questions.html)

Wozza666 08/02/2011 04:44 AM

TuneIn Radio - questions

Hey,

So I loaded the tunein radio app to my TP with high expectations as I love the app on my iphone *cough*, but what a disappointment! Some of the main radio stations, such as BBC Radio 1 and Kiss 100 show up but are tagged with 'unsupported'.

I fired off a mail to the tunein support and got the following response...

"Thank you for contacting us to let us know that you're having trouble accessing a stream through TuneIn. The stream that you're trying to access uses a format that's not compatible with your operating system and/or device. You can ask the broadcaster to provide TuneIn with streams that are compatible. We suggest an mp3 stream for digital home products and an AAC stream for mobile users."

you have to love the DIY approach!! - I guess I will have to hunt for other radio apps..

<title updated by staff>

JD.Plourde.II 08/02/2011 05:41 AM

iheartradio...took the spot of Tune In almost immediately after I launched it the first time.

(it took awhile to load, that was the only delay in converting me.)

Wozza666 08/02/2011 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=JD.Plourde.II;3051701]iheartradio...took the spot of Tune In almost immediately after I launched it the first time.

(it took awhile to load, that was the only delay in converting me.)[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find it in the catalog, seems it may be another US only app? I guess I am stuck to listening to certain stations in the browser..

DocLee 08/02/2011 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Wozza666;3051685]Hey,

So I loaded the tunein radio app to my TP with high expectations as I love the app on my iphone *cough*, but what a disappointment! Some of the main radio stations, such as BBC Radio 1 and Kiss 100 show up but are tagged with 'unsupported'.

I fired off a mail to the tunein support and got the following response...

"Thank you for contacting us to let us know that you're having trouble accessing a stream through TuneIn. The stream that you're trying to access uses a format that's not compatible with your operating system and/or device. You can ask the broadcaster to provide TuneIn with streams that are compatible. We suggest an mp3 stream for digital home products and an AAC stream for mobile users."

you have to love the DIY approach!! - I guess I will have to hunt for other radio apps..[/QUOTE]

The operating system does not support Windows Media Audio streams. The BBC and Kiss streams that we are allowed to use stream in Windows Media Audio. How are we supposed to support streams that are in a format that HP/Palm has chosen not to support in the operating system itself?

We've contacted the BBC and Kiss (and numerous other stations that stream in WMA) in order to try to get an mp3 or aac stream up. We ask that others also contact the stations in order to create demand. The greater the demand, the more likely they are to implement an mp3 or aac stream. It's not a DIY approach...it's a strength in numbers approach.

Believe me, if HP/Palm implemented the WMA codec, they'd be available. But, you're blaming us for something that is completely out of our control. We are working within the constraints (and restraints) of the operating system.

Doc

TuneIn Radio

DocLee 08/02/2011 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=JD.Plourde.II;3051701]iheartradio...took the spot of Tune In almost immediately after I launched it the first time.

(it took awhile to load, that was the only delay in converting me.)[/QUOTE]

iHeartRadio does not offer BBC or Kiss or any other station in the UK. iHeartRadio offers around 750 stations within the US, Australia, and New Zealand. TuneIn Radio offers over 40,000 stations worldwide including many stations in the UK.

Doc

TuneIn Radio

jhoff80 08/02/2011 11:27 AM

iHeartRadio is nice... if you like the same generic ClearChannel stuff that almost every station is these days.

Because that's all it is, an app to play ClearChannel stations.

TuneIn actually has stations I like. iHeartRadio doesn't.

Unfortunately, webOS doesn't support WMA playback, so that does hurt some stations in TuneIn, and I suspect that's the issue that the original poster is having.

1palmclapping 08/02/2011 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=DocLee;3051979]The operating system does not support Windows Media Audio streams. The BBC and Kiss streams that we are allowed to use stream in Windows Media Audio. How are we supposed to support streams that are in a format that HP/Palm has chosen not to support in the operating system itself?

We've contacted the BBC and Kiss (and numerous other stations that stream in WMA) in order to try to get an mp3 or aac stream up. We ask that others also contact the stations in order to create demand. The greater the demand, the more likely they are to implement an mp3 or aac stream. It's not a DIY approach...it's a strength in numbers approach.

Believe me, if HP/Palm implemented the WMA codec, they'd be available. But, you're blaming us for something that is completely out of our control. We are working within the constraints (and restraints) of the operating system.

Doc

TuneIn Radio[/QUOTE]

PocketTunes claims to support WMA on WebOS. Is there any way to use their codec for TuneIn? I am also frustrated at the inability to listen to certain stations.
1Pc

JD.Plourde.II 08/02/2011 03:26 PM

Well, perhaps I was taken in by the glitz and glam of the interface, or perhaps it was the ease with which iheart presented my local stations and then kept a playlist of what I had listened to...

I suspect its time to check out Tune In again eh?

speedtouch 08/02/2011 03:31 PM

I've been using TuneIn since it came out for the Palm Pre. I don't know when that was, exactly, but it was a long time ago. I love the app for my Pre and now my TouchPad. Though it loads so slowly on the TouchPad, that's my only major complaint. A small complaint is sometimes it doesn't start buffering a stream when I tap a radio station. It opens the radio station's page, but it doesn't buffer. So I tap Back and then tap the station again and it'll buffer.

Other than those two problems, I have a good experience.

threed61#WN 08/02/2011 04:05 PM

I have found a lot of stations to like with tune in. But my favorite moment was telling my co worker that it was available on his phone, and his being able to listen to stations from his home province in the Philippines. Thanks for the service.

angiest 08/02/2011 04:38 PM

No iheartradio for webOS. And, since it seems Clearchannel uses mostly WMA, it probably wouldn't work well anyway. :P

I use tune in just about everyday, to listen to a local morning show on its station in another city. Local station (flagship for the show) is Clearchannel, and the remote station isn't, and works in tune in.

jhoff80 08/02/2011 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=angiest;3052352]No iheartradio for webOS. [/QUOTE]

There is on the Touchpad.

DocLee 08/02/2011 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=1palmclapping;3052273]PocketTunes claims to support WMA on WebOS. Is there any way to use their codec for TuneIn? I am also frustrated at the inability to listen to certain stations.
1Pc[/QUOTE]

The only current way to support WMA on WebOS is to use FFmpeg. FFmpeg has licensing requirements and also involves codec licensing requirements. This would be cost prohibitive to the end users of WebOS right now.

Doc

TuneIn Radio

DocLee 08/02/2011 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=speedtouch;3052282]I've been using TuneIn since it came out for the Palm Pre. I don't know when that was, exactly, but it was a long time ago. I love the app for my Pre and now my TouchPad. Though it loads so slowly on the TouchPad, that's my only major complaint. A small complaint is sometimes it doesn't start buffering a stream when I tap a radio station. It opens the radio station's page, but it doesn't buffer. So I tap Back and then tap the station again and it'll buffer.

Other than those two problems, I have a good experience.[/QUOTE]

A lot goes on at startup of the app. Grabbing unique IDs, grabbing presets, turning on the GPS, grabbing the local stations, and grabbing the recommended stations. The GPS in the touchpad is rather week and the wifi connection isn't anything to write home about. Both could use significant improvements in order to speed things along.

As for audio...lordy. There weren't even audio event handlers in the operating system when the TouchPad was released so we ended up having to do it manually. HP/Palm decided to focus on other things first and left audio in a pitiful state at release. You could play a sound or pause it...that was it. We were lucky to get it functioning at all so the app could be in the catalog at release time. It will get better over time provided that the operating system improves over time.

Doc

TuneIn Radio

k4ever 08/02/2011 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=DocLee;3052512]A lot goes on at startup of the app. Grabbing unique IDs, grabbing presets, turning on the GPS, grabbing the local stations, and grabbing the recommended stations. The GPS in the touchpad is rather week and the wifi connection isn't anything to write home about. Both could use significant improvements in order to speed things along.

As for audio...lordy. There weren't even audio event handlers in the operating system when the TouchPad was released so we ended up having to do it manually. HP/Palm decided to focus on other things first and left audio in a pitiful state at release. You could play a sound or pause it...that was it. We were lucky to get it functioning at all so the app could be in the catalog at release time. It will get better over time provided that the operating system improves over time.

Doc

TuneIn Radio[/QUOTE]

Doc,

Keep up the good work. I truly love TuneIn on my Touchpad. I too was disappointed that some of the stations I listened to on Android would not work on webOS. However, I understand what your restrictions are. Is HP going to eventually add .wma support to the Touchpad? Both webOS and Android are based on Linux which has .wma already, so this shouldn't be hard for them.

speedtouch 08/02/2011 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=DocLee;3052512]A lot goes on at startup of the app. Grabbing unique IDs, grabbing presets, turning on the GPS, grabbing the local stations, and grabbing the recommended stations. The GPS in the touchpad is rather week and the wifi connection isn't anything to write home about. Both could use significant improvements in order to speed things along.

Doc

TuneIn Radio[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh I had no idea it had to do so much during startup. That's a lot of activity! I understand completely now. But maybe users who don't read this forum could benefit by some sort of status update in the app like: Grabbing your account...parsing presets...acquiring GPS...downloading stations...etc. Maybe you could just get the app up so that you can display the status of these actions, then actually go about launching the startup actions.

That way regular (non-techie types) won't think, "Oh my gosh, this app is SO SLOW, I hate it." And then they go about uninstalling it.

As far as the sound goes, your explanation of the sound system on the TP goes hand-in-hand with all the reports of folks losing sound. It all makes sense. No wonder users lose their sound so often...the sound architecture is crapola, from what I understand by reading your post. That's a shame, too. The TP is supposed to be this kick-**** multimedia device, only to have its sound system crippled.

I hope it gets better too. Thanks for the great explanations on all my concerns. It's been enlightening.

No matter what, keep up the good work. TuneIn has been one of the most-used apps on my Pre and now my TouchPad. I really appreciate the app and what it does.

DocLee 08/02/2011 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=JD.Plourde.II;3052279]Well, perhaps I was taken in by the glitz and glam of the interface, or perhaps it was the ease with which iheart presented my local stations and then kept a playlist of what I had listened to...

I suspect its time to check out Tune In again eh?[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you that we have a lot more of your local stations than iHeartRadio carries.

Stations in New Hampshire carried in iHeartRadio:

ROCK 101 On Demand
WHEB On Demand
107.1 WERZ
WGIR AM Live Stream
96.7 The Wave
KISS 95.3

Stations in New Hampshire carried in TuneIn Radio:

Littleton New Hampshire Fire/Rescue
Southern New Hampshire Counties Fire
Victory 102
VPR Classical
The Wolf
WKKN
WVXR
WBAR-FM
WBAR-FM
WRJT
WMTK
The Game
The Wolf
WCNL
WNTK
WOKQ 97.5
The Mill
The Shark
WSMN
WSPS
WTSN
WUNH
Oldies 104
WEEI
Kixx 100.5
WXXS
WZID
WASR
The Bay
WEVO
WFNX
99 Rock
WXEX
WCCM
Q-106
106.3 Frank FM
94.9 WHOM Continous Light Rock
JYY
WKNH
WKXL
The Hawk
98.3 LNH
WLTN-FM
Air 1
WXGR-LP
WSCA-LP
Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
WCKJ
WUVR
NOAA Weather Radio North Conway
NOAA Weather Radio Holderness
WSEW
NOAA Weather Radio Concord
Free Talk Live
NOAA Weather Radio Pack Monadnock
NOAA Weather Radio Hanover
NOAA Weather Radio Pittsburg
NOAA Weather Radio Deerfield
LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
WEQX
Oracle Broadcasting
WCKJ
New Country
Real Oldies
Portsmouth Fire and EMS
Hesser College Radio
Tenacity Radio
WCNH

These are the mp3 and aac stations only.

Doc

TuneIn Radio

DocLee 08/02/2011 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=k4ever;3052538]Doc,

Keep up the good work. I truly love TuneIn on my Touchpad. I too was disappointed that some of the stations I listened to on Android would not work on webOS. However, I understand what your restrictions are. Is HP going to eventually add .wma support to the Touchpad? Both webOS and Android are based on Linux which has .wma already, so this shouldn't be hard for them.[/QUOTE]

Linux actually doesn't have WMA support natively. It's added to the operating system by adding codec support for the audio backend (in WebOS' case, gstreamer codecs). I don't know if HP/Palm plans on supporting WMA in the future as I don't work for them but I would assume not seeing as it would require a licensing agreement with Microsoft which adds additional cost.

Doc

TuneIn Radio

angiest 08/02/2011 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=jhoff80;3052396]There is on the Touchpad.[/QUOTE]

Oh there is? I wasn't aware of that.

catallah 08/02/2011 09:02 PM

Downloaded this app just cause of this thread...so far it is better than iheart, I will test it out in the hospital tomorrow. iHeart would just randomly stop on me, I was unclear if it was the wireless system but I will see with this. Thanks for developing this program DocLee