Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Overall, the webOS 3.0.2 update is fantastic and fixes a number of the little annoyances from 3.0.0, making the over all experience much better and faster.

However, it seems that one of my main issue with the Photos & Videos app has not yet been fixed:

1) it seems that it is not possible to change the way both folders and files are sorted - folders and photos appear quite randomly (loosely it seems by date of files/additions but it seems overall quite random with no control on how to rationalize this)

2) as a result when displaying my photo albums my 2001 album would appear 1st then my 2006 album, then my 2010 album etc... with no particular reason - the same applies for files within a folder: some recent photos 1st then for no reason old ones, etc...

3) when uploading photos to the TP (USB mode): I've tried everything to change this random behaviour: i) changing all file names (A-Z sorting) before copying over); ii) removing/chaning metatags (photo date etc...) before copying, etc... - no matter what I am doing the result is always disappointing and I end up with random sorting of folders/photos/videos

4) the same irrational behaviour applies to cloud albums/photos (from Facebook) which are displayed/listed in no logical order

Is there a way (or a patch?) to address this and restore some logic in the way photos/videos are sorted and indexed? Any help/ideas much appreciated.
    sorting is vital for sales presentations.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Is there a way to delete folders now? (Haven't updated myself yet)
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    This seems like a really dumb question, but searches turned up no results and it's really bugging me, so here goes. In the built-in photo app is there a way to change the photo sort order for either the whole app or a given album/gallery? As far as I can tell there isn't a way to change sort order and it defaults to date taken in descending order (latest first). This makes the slideshow feature useless for showing event photos in ascending chronological order, and if you're flipping through a gallery where the order matters you have to start at the end and flick photos to the right instead of to the left as is more natural.

Also, what's the max resolution for photos that the Touchpad can actually show at full resolution? I copied some 12MP (4000 x 3000) photos to it that it shows mostly fine (sometimes it gets stuck on the fuzzy preview and never gets sharp and I have to go back to the thumbnails and select the image again at which point it will be sharp--is that a "normal" bug in 3.0.2?), but when I zoom in I can tell that it's not showing the full resolution as I zoom since it looks a lot more blocky and jaggy than on my computer screen zoomed in to 100%. If it can't show the full resolution when zoomed in I might as well not upload full resolution photos, so I'd like to know what the max resolution is that it can show.

And as a last ditch option, is there a better photo gallery app in the market? Thanks for the help ahead of time.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Anyone have any input on this?
    I also would like a "fix" for this.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I found one other thread about the max size of images... If you plug it in you can find a folder called .photosapp which is where the resized images are stored... Sadly it's only 1024 on the long end, and if it's a vertical photo it's only 768! That's all it can display...

Is there some sort of patch/hack to 'fix' this? anyone know?
    I would also like a fix for this. I can't show a slide show inm the correct order, even based on filename. Sorting files should be a basic OS feature.
    from what I can tell the first photo is the last one you added, same with the folders. If you add the last image in a slide show first and the first last it should work out.(which is totally unacceptable) there's an untapped market for photo gallery apps in webOS.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boomjosh View Post
    I found one other thread about the max size of images... If you plug it in you can find a folder called .photosapp which is where the resized images are stored... Sadly it's only 1024 on the long end, and if it's a vertical photo it's only 768! That's all it can display...

Is there some sort of patch/hack to 'fix' this? anyone know?
    Phew... was talking to myself there for a while Can you post a link to the thread? Nobody seems to be interested in talking about this, so if there's an older thread with some good info in it I'd appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I posted a question earlier about the photo slideshow. I can't beleive there isn't any way to shuffle the pics. Did you ever find another photo gallery app? One that might can shuffle images?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
    I posted a question earlier about the photo slideshow. I can't beleive there isn't any way to shuffle the pics. Did you ever find another photo gallery app? One that might can shuffle images?
    No, I asked in my original post about better photo apps but got no responses as of yet. I'm finding out that webOS itself is pretty slick, but the functionality of a few of the included apps leave a lot to be desired and there are few alternatives in the app market.
    I had the same problem with the albums I was uploading via USB as well. Like many of you, the photos seemed to be randomly sorted. No matter how many times I deleted and re-transferred the pics via USB, it was the same order.

I tried using Windows applications that change file attributes (date modified, date created, etc.), but that didn't seem to work either.

The album was 6 GBs large and having to copy the files again and again while testing was taking quite some time. So I decided to try to resize the images before transferring them to the Touchpad. I used a program called ACDSee, which has an utility for resizing multiple images (called Batch Resize). When I uploaded the newly-resized pics, the album was sorted alphabetically...except it was in reverse order (photo50.jpg, photo49.jpg, photo48.jpg, etc.)

That's when I tried to resize the photos in ACDSee again, this time in reverse alphabetical order. I sorted the files in ACDSee in reverse filename order, chose all the files and clicked on the Batch Resize function. ACDSee then began resizing images in reverse alphabetical order.

After uploading the resized files via USB, it looks like I finally have that album in alphabetical order. I'm not sure why changing the file attributes doesn't work but editing the image seems to but, hopefully, this trick works for you too.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MentatYP View Post
    Phew... was talking to myself there for a while Can you post a link to the thread? Nobody seems to be interested in talking about this, so if there's an older thread with some good info in it I'd appreciate it.
    Sure, but nobody was of any help sadly
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-res-only.html
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boomjosh View Post
    Sure, but nobody was of any help sadly
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-res-only.html
    Well 2 threads on it and no helpful answers (lol at the "but camera is only 1.3MP" comments). I guess that more or less confirms that the native photo app can't do high-res photos at full res. At this point I'm tempted to whip up my own photo browser for webOS if there isn't one on the market. After all, how hard could it be? Famous last words
    Philippz likes this.
    Has someone already complained to HP about this? When I first started the App I was positively impressed by its design and the synergy integration (except the lack of picasa support). Well this lasted until I found out about the lack of sorting abilities - which makes the App basically useless. I loaded several pics of my last holidays on the pad to show them to my family. It was just a mess so in the end I decided to leave the pad at home and take my notebook with me. That's ridiculous.

I always assumed that a developer would implement sorting possibilities in the first instance. Lets all notify HP about the issue - what do you think?

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk
    Ya I just want to organize my videos in alpha-numeric order. It just makes sense.
    Pain in the ****, but the only solution right now is to go back and resave your images in the REVERSE order in which you'd like them displayed.

I've got a client presentationthis afternoon that I need these displaying correctly for. I resaved a group of images just now and it displayed them in reverse order (first one saved is last one displayed).
    My app Slide RSS will order slideshows in alphanumeric order if you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MentatYP View Post
    Well 2 threads on it and no helpful answers (lol at the "but camera is only 1.3MP" comments). I guess that more or less confirms that the native photo app can't do high-res photos at full res. At this point I'm tempted to whip up my own photo browser for webOS if there isn't one on the market. After all, how hard could it be? Famous last words
    Could you? Please? Pretty please? Is it ok to beg...? I can't believe it isn't possible to sort images in an album by name! I dumped some manga onto my Touchpad to read and I can't even do it because of the photo viewer and the fact that no 3rd party app exists that just lets you view images in order by name!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast