Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm sorry, but I'm getting annoyed by a lot of developers but I don't want to name them directly.

Honestly, as a user, it's total BS to mark a Mojo app that works perfectly on the Touchpad as non-compatible, just to force us to upgrade for a second payment. Literally, it was working 100% on my Touchpad a week ago. It got deleted accidentally, and now it's not in the App Catalog. Some might say that as long as it's installed on their device already, it doesn't matter, and that I shouldn't have even temporarily deleted it. However, if you ever plan on doctoring your device, it's an issue there as well.

I can understand how a developer wouldn't want to do additional work and not get paid, but if the Mojo app already works, then it's not additional work.

If your Touchpad version is good, people will upgrade on their own to the Enyo version. If you try crap like pulling the Mojo version from the Touchpad catalog just to FORCE us to upgrade, well I'm sure I'm not the only one who is never going to buy one of your apps in the future.
    Bo and dcbo89 like this.
    I feel your pain, but I think you will have to chalk this one up as a loss. They are here go make money. If you don't like their practices, don't support them. Sounds like that was your plan anyway ;-)
  3.    #3  
    I'm fine with developers wanting to make money, I've bought a lot of apps that I use regularly and I have no problem with that. And like I said, I understand making an Enyo app is really like a new app, so while I prefer it when apps like AuctionMate Pro include the Touchpad and phone version in the same app, I can fully understand when they want me to pay for the Touchpad version.

It's just an issue when something works in the emulator 100% and they pull it for no reason other than to force a new purchase.

I understand that it's a loss, and there's nothing I can do other than not support them any longer, I just also wanted to strongly recommend to developers that it's probably not a good idea to alienate consumers who probably would have bought the Touchpad versions anyway.
    Name 'em and shame 'em, I say.
    It's entirely possible that it's due to a mistake or a problem with the developer portal. Frankly, they have a lot of work to do in that department. Have you contacted the developer and asked them about it?
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I was about to ask about this as I am missing an app I use every month. I think it was free initially, but I wouldn't mind paying a bit for it since I used it regularly. I don't mind the devs making money--they did the work--but please consider not removing the old app until the new one is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's entirely possible that it's due to a mistake or a problem with the developer portal. Frankly, they have a lot of work to do in that department. Have you contacted the developer and asked them about it?
    this is always a possibility out there, there are some transition issues on the dev side and hp/palm side
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    You can always use Impostah to install any app you have legal rights to.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    You can always use Impostah to install any app you have legal rights to.
    Not true. I just tried it, and it doesn't see app IDs that aren't compatible with the Touchpad.
    Is the app still in your backup profile? If you doctor, would it get restored from there? (I know it's a pain.)
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not true. I just tried it, and it doesn't see app IDs that aren't compatible with the Touchpad.
    What applications did you try? I purchased Let's Golf and Music Player Remix for my Pre+ and used Impostah to install both on my TP. Music Player Remix runs just fine on the TP with a few caveats. Let's Golf runs but is not playable on the TP. They are both considered not compatible since they are not offered in the HP Catalog.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    What applications did you try? I purchased Let's Golf and Music Player Remix for my Pre+ and used Impostah to install both on my TP. Music Player Remix runs just fine on the TP with a few caveats. Let's Golf runs but is not playable on the TP. They are both considered not compatible since they are not offered in the HP Catalog.
    Let me try again, but I tried Weather Dashboard, Internalz, and Lastpass.

Edit: Yeah, just gives "Application not Found"
    Before you crucify the developers, take into account the following:

- Yes Impostah does work assuming you purchased the app under the same app id. I've provided instructions on how to recover the app for anyone who's contacted me about wanting the app on their TouchPad. And everyone so far has been able to install my app.

- There have been bugs with the app portal marking apps "compatible" or "not compatible" when the developer chose the opposite. So in some cases, it may not be the developer's choice.

- HP reviewed a lot (all?) of the Mojo apps and marked ones "not compatible" if they found issues during testing. Developers were notified when this happened; however there are some issues that are not easy to overcome...which leads to my next bullet...

- Developers may test their apps and find issues with their apps due to bugs in Mojo emulation (and there are plenty of them). If there's no easy way to workaround the bugs, they may mark their apps as "not compatible" to avoid having TouchPad owners buy their app and finding issues. This is what I did with Music Player (Remix). It has several issues that I felt were serious enough to warrant pulling it from the TouchPad catalog.

- Some apps cannot be fully tested unless you have actual hardware and not all developers have TouchPads. For instance, I cannot test most of the core functionality of Music Player (Remix) without a TouchPad. Even if I experienced none of the Mojo emulation issues I've encountered, I still wouldn't feel right about offering my app for sale without testing it on real hardware.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Is the app still in your backup profile? If you doctor, would it get restored from there? (I know it's a pain.)
    The apps themselves aren't backed up. Only the link to them in the App Catalog is. So if something is removed from the Catalog, you're SOL.

Slightly off topic, but as an example, a few apps I've bought are pulled entirely (Wumpus, Plasma Cannon) and so now I paid for something I can't access on my Pre or my Touchpad.

Just one of the downsides to no local backups.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Before you crucify the developers, take into account the following:

- Yes Impostah does work assuming you purchased the app under the same app id. I've provided instructions on how to recover the app for anyone who's contacted me about wanting the app on their TouchPad. And everyone so far has been able to install my app.
    It may have worked in the past, but I'm telling you now that I'm using Impostah v0.9.9 from the testing feed, and it's not working. I'll try the non-testing feed version 0.9.7 right after this. Edit: 0.9.7 doesn't work. It may have worked in the past, but not any more.

- There have been bugs with the app portal marking apps "compatible" or "not compatible" when the developer chose the opposite. So in some cases, it may not be the developer's choice.
    This I can understand as an issue, and definitely isn't the developer's fault. But for example with Weather Dashboard, it's hard to believe that the app portal bug would affect both the free and the paid version.

- HP reviewed a lot (all?) of the Mojo apps and marked ones "not compatible" if they found issues during testing. Developers were notified when this happened; however there are some issues that are not easy to overcome...which leads to my next bullet...

- Developers may test their apps and find issues with their apps due to bugs in Mojo emulation (and there are plenty of them). If there's no easy way to workaround the bugs, they may mark their apps as "not compatible" to avoid having TouchPad owners buy their app and finding issues. This is what I did with Music Player (Remix). It has several issues that I felt were serious enough to warrant pulling it from the TouchPad catalog.

- Some apps cannot be fully tested unless you have actual hardware and not all developers have TouchPads. For instance, I cannot test most of the core functionality of Music Player (Remix) without a TouchPad. Even if I experienced none of the Mojo emulation issues I've encountered, I still wouldn't feel right about offering my app for sale without testing it on real hardware.
    I realize this can be an issue, but some of these aren't exactly complex applications. Weather Dashboard pulls in weather and displays it in the dashboard, and was working perfectly on the Touchpad until they pulled it.

And your situation is different. You're pulling it for a different reason than I explain. What I have an issue with is developers who pull the Mojo versions so they can sell an HD version. Like I said, as someone who has spent hundreds on apps, I'd probably have bought the Touchpad version anyway, but now I refuse to.

Despite your points being valid, I still think it's a bad idea in general, though the situation obviously can vary.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/03/2011 at 01:43 PM.
    The apps themselves aren't backed up. Only the link to them in the App Catalog is. So if something is removed from the Catalog, you're SOL.

Slightly off topic, but as an example, a few apps I've bought are pulled entirely (Wumpus, Plasma Cannon) and so now I paid for something I can't access on my Pre or my Touchpad.

Just one of the downsides to no local backups.
    Ahhhh... that explains one of mine disappearing. Thanks for that
    It may have worked in the past, but I'm telling you now that I'm using Impostah v0.9.9 from the testing feed, and it's not working. I'll try the non-testing feed version 0.9.7 right after this.
    People have had it work with my app very recently. I don't know which version of Impostah they're using though. I'd recommend asking in the Impostah thread for help because it was Rod himself that told me about this solution and it has worked like a charm on many occasions.

I realize this can be an issue, but some of these aren't exactly complex applications. Weather Dashboard pulls in weather and displays it in the dashboard, and was working perfectly on the Touchpad until they pulled it.
    What you think as "working perfectly" may not be what the developer considers perfect. I've had people tell me Music Player (Remix) works fine for them on the TouchPad. But the fact remains is there are issues with it on the TouchPad.

But even if that's not the case for Weather Dashboard, ultimately it's up to the developer which devices he/she will make the app available on. You purchased it on a phone, so there were no assurances that he/she would make it available on all future webOS devices.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

18.    #18  
    People have had it work with my app very recently. I don't know which version of Impostah they're using though. I'd recommend asking in the Impostah thread for help because it was Rod himself that told me about this solution and it has worked like a charm on many occasions.
    Yeah I've used Impostah before on my Veer, so I know what I'm doing with it, and it's not working today. Maybe it's a just a temporary glitch, but it's not working for this function on the Touchpad today.

You purchased it on a phone, so there were no assurances that he/she would make it available on all future webOS devices.
    Sure, they have the right to. I'm just stressing how I feel this is a bad idea in this thread, because the user has the right to not purchase anything else from them. I'm not badmouthing any of the developers that I can see, and I don't think I'm really crucifying them, like you said. I was reluctant to even name the apps which I had been having this issue with.

But if the developer (not directed at you, of course) wants to bother people in the small group who are webOS users and purchasing apps, feel free.

Anyway, as for the Impostah solution, I just used my wifi-only Veer with Impostah 0.9.9. to "Get Application Info" of your app, com.hedami.musicplayerremix and that worked fine.

When I do the same on the Touchpad, I get the attached image. It looks like maybe HP changed something on their server to prevent this from working.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/03/2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Anyway, as for the Impostah solution, I just used my wifi-only Veer with Impostah 0.9.9. to "Get Application Info" of your app, com.hedami.musicplayerremix and that worked fine.

When I do the same on the Touchpad, I get the attached image. It looks like maybe HP changed something on their server to prevent this from working.
    Ask Rod about it in the Impostah thread. He may have a clue as to why it's not working.

This is why I have an sFTP running where I can take my application folders and copy them to my Mac, create IPK's and save them for a rainy day. I know developers do not like the fact that we can do this, but as a Homebrew Developer myself. I do not care. If I want copies of my purchased content I should have the right to do so even if you don't want me to have it anymore.

I abide by the rule of not sharing with others... That should suffice.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    peterlemonjello likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast