Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was going through 1000s of .txt, .doc, .jpg, .pdf, .odt, .rtf, .ods and boat load of other type of files on my PC for a major clean up and i have finally seen the light with google docs. Its pretty cool how it can scan inside the pdf and the jpegs and translate those into google docs.
    I am not a heavy office type user so openoffice/ libreoffice were more than needed for my memos, invoice creation, etc.

QO is a must but for those who did the switch to the office cloud, how good is your experience on the Touchpad so far?

thank you
    Haven't made the full conversion to Google docs just yet. Currently using Windows Live Mesh with Libre Office as my cloud solution. I will probably end up going to Google Docs eventually since I do have Google Apps for my domain, but right now I am testing Libre Office/Evolution as an MS Office suite replacement for clients.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I am 100% Google Docs user, but since owning the TP I haven't had the need to edit any documents. Whenever I have to use Google Docs on the TP, I'll evaluate it then against Quickoffice...if those guys can ever get their app out.

Who was the app maker that was supposed to produce a full document editing suite for the Pre? Was it also Quickoffice? I just can't remember.
    Dataviz' Docs2Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Dataviz' Docs2Go
    Thanks. Adding another company to my personal boycott list. Dataviz, what a bunch of losers.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Thanks. Adding another company to my personal boycott list. Dataviz, what a bunch of losers.
    They were bought by RIM.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    They were bought by RIM.
    rofl! Well, I'm sure that'll work out swell. They deserve each other.
    On the other side of things, I'm pretty big on Office web apps, but I'm sold pretty far up the river on Office 365/Skydrive and that ecosystem. It works fairly well.
    I'm not 100% either but have been makjng the transition. The university I'm taking classes at uses the full Google Office cloud suit and I have been typing up assignments and papers on it for a while. (couple this with the full flash browser to access the class portal, and it is a students dream)

I use OpenOffice as an alternative to PC clients that can afford the licensing for MS Office and other open source apps as part of our productivity services. It's as capable and more so in many ways (native pdf writing was always a boon)

I've written one assignment on it so far and had no issues. Now trying to use it with the QO Viewer has been hit or miss but the browser works great.
    I am not a 100% Google Docs user...yet. I cannot figure out how to scroll in a spreadsheet to cells that are off the initial screen to the right or bottom. That being said, I cannot scroll through spreadsheet tabs in QO if they are off the screen either. Neither program works well for my needs. Does anyone know how to solve either issue? I have a large spreadsheet (28 tabs) that I use on an almost hourly basis that I cannot use on the TP.
    Speaking of Google Docs, does anyone else find it unusable with the bluetooth keyboard? It couldn't be more laggy, and the lack of ability to use the directional arrows really makes it a bust. It had better work more fluidly with the native app.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    They were bought by RIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    rofl! Well, I'm sure that'll work out swell. They deserve each other.
    Hahaha! Too funny. Serves Dataviz *and* RIM right. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    I am not a 100% Google Docs user...yet. I cannot figure out how to scroll in a spreadsheet to cells that are off the initial screen to the right or bottom. That being said, I cannot scroll through spreadsheet tabs in QO if they are off the screen either. Neither program works well for my needs. Does anyone know how to solve either issue? I have a large spreadsheet (28 tabs) that I use on an almost hourly basis that I cannot use on the TP.
    Go here (below) and carefully follow webos internals instructions to create a partition and install libreoffice. It will work fine in a card to bring up Calc which can read and edit your excel spreadsheet (you will need the bluetooth keyboard)
    Chrooting - WebOS Internals
    which, as you read carefully, will ask you to metadoctor and instructions found here for that:
    Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals (note: for some reason you can't read this page on a TouchPad, so read it on your pc).

Instructions are tedious so set aside a few hours but after that, you are done. webosinternals is still working on keyboard mapping but bluetooth will still work ok for now.
    No, I'm still a Office user pure and simple. I use google docs for back up, sharing, and computer syncing. Though will probably start moving that to box maybe now.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Speaking of Google Docs, does anyone else find it unusable with the bluetooth keyboard? It couldn't be more laggy, and the lack of ability to use the directional arrows really makes it a bust. It had better work more fluidly with the native app.
    That's probably more a limitation of BT technology than Google Docs. I use a MS BT Keyboard 6000 for day-to-day things, but there are a few apps that cause a great amount of lag time between the keyboard and the PC. It also seems to get more and more laggy the longer I try to put up with it. Apparently HTML5 or Flash or Silverlight or Gears or whatever Google Docs is running in is one of those apps. I have a USB keyboard on standby for when I need to run an app I know will not work well with my BT board.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I havent used google docs at all. Does it have an offline mode so you can create docs on, say, an airplane or when no wifi is abailable?
    I've used Google Docs on a PC in the past and was actually fairly impressed.

How is the experience of using it on a TouchPad, for example in conjunction with a launcher bookmark to fully simulate an app, when compared to the desktop version? I'm really curious. Is there in fact anything usual that QuickOffice can do but Google Docs can't?

The only thing holding me back from using Google Docs is that Google already has so much of my data that I don't know how much else I'm willing to freely give them. These free services are a two-bladed sword because they're not truly free. They just don't cost you any money. You pay with personal information, and what Google does with that is up to them.

Sure, some employee could blow a whistle when they do something evil with data supposed to be private and send stuff to WikiLeaks. OR the same employee could keep enjoying their industry-leading salary at their amazing, out-of-this-world adventure playground working place with cereal bar, flipper machines, flying simulators and a ball pit.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Google docs is pretty good and for most users is more than capable - however for my needs (the need to reference) it's not quite there and I'll stick to office (+ Zetero for referencing and reference management).

Having said that (and I've never considered it) - I know a lot of people who are simply using Evernote for word processing.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/01/2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Having said that (and I've never considered it) - I know a lot of people who are simply using Evernote for word processing.
    I believe that Evernote does not have a TouchPad app yet.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    It's kind of hard to depend on just Google docs, when the TouchPad refuses to even add my google docs account.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast