1.    #1  
    After seeing another iPad commercial yesterday demonstrating children practicing writing, I began brainstorming on a cool app idea. I decided that this was an awesome idea and something that could really be a push in the business side of HPs plans:

Create an app where waiters/waitresses (w/w) can take orders. This app would basically have an order form on the TouchPad where the w/w would be able to fill it out and then send it directly to an HP printer, sitting in the kitchen, and ready to be prepared.

The app can have multiple options. The first option would be where the waitress can write what someone is ordering. This would be real plain and simple. However, I believe it could be enhanced. The app could have a recognition device similar to something like PalmOS had that would translate it into a clear text and input it into the order form so it’s more easily readable.

Another option would be to have lists where the w/w can just check what someone is ordering. While I believe this would be a little more difficult initially (because of the different menus at restaurants) if the w/w used a standard system for the menu (such as numbers for specific items) I believe that it could be achieved.

As mentioned before, once the w/w is done they could send the note to an HP printer. Another option for the eco-friendly, you could email it directly to a computer sitting in the kitchen that will display the order as they come in.

What do you think? Cool idea? It really shouldn’t be that hard to create, it would just be a matter of getting restaurant chains to purchase TouchPads for their w/w’s.
    Last edited by kryptonite_2448; 07/30/2011 at 11:13 AM.
    I could build an app like that , but it wouldn't really have much of an audience.

I really doubt restaurants will ever give up using pen and paper in this decade. Not to mention buying this many tablets for a singular purpose is rather expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbased View Post
    I could build an app like that , but it wouldn't really have much of an audience.

I really doubt restaurants will ever give up using pen and paper in this decade. Not to mention buying this many tablets for a singular purpose is rather expensive.
    Actually I visited a brasserie in Paris this summer which was using small hand-helds for order taking.

Odds are you'd have much greater interest with a smaller form factor, like the upcoming 7" WebOS tab. You'd probably also want a more ruggedized device/case for restaurant environments.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    Actually I visited a brasserie in Paris this summer which was using small hand-helds for order taking.

Odds are you'd have much greater interest with a smaller form factor, like the upcoming 7" WebOS tab. You'd probably also want a more ruggedized device/case for restaurant environments.
    The 7" tablet is a great point. Also, I've heard of restaurants where you actually sit down and order your drink before a waiter or waitress shows up to take your food order.

It's clear that technology is going to change the way restaurants work too. I believe business owners would be able to see the benefit in something like a tablet. I could see their "supply chain" (for lack of a better phrase) enhanced by technology. Educated business owners would be the ones who should be the most easily convinced.

Why not give it a shot on the TouchPad?
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    the ipad children writing commercial I have to say is really really cool.

i hope someone makes something as high quality as that for the touchpad!
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    I was just at a Movie Tavern where they were using handhelds for taking orders. I think instead of writing, they have buttons on the screen for each item. So instead of writing it out, they can just tap it and be done. I don't know how they handle special orders though. Maybe there's a special add/hold menu.
    So...keep thinking along those lines, but spend more effort thinking about what problem you would be solving rather than a cool new way to take an order.

You're suggesting a restaurant owner should spend $500-$600 per waiter/waitress. He or she better get way more than that back in some way.
  8.    #8  
    I don't believe it will be an instant money saver, but how many "cool" apps are there that save you money? I don't know a figure, but an easy majority don't.

Also, you're being naive to think tablets are always going to cost $500. Like I said before, with technology you're going to be able to increase work flow. I don't believe you can exclude restaurants in this assumption.
    So, I wasn't bagging on your idea, I was actually trying to help you focus its functionality.

That said, being aware of the price of these devices isn't naivety, that's what the devices cost today, and that's the cost that would have to be justified.

The fact that 'cool' apps aren't productivity apps is rather pointless. A business owner isn't going to purchase TPs because he can get a fart app, he's going to purchase TPs because he can either solve a problem he's experiencing or he can be more productive.

So how could an app help a restaurateur? Fewer error on orders? Would it help his waitstaff serve more tables faster? Would it help him raise his table turnover rate? All I was suggesting was thinking beyond cool factor.

Cool is OK if the only folks you're trying to sell to are folks who already have the TP.

Useful & valuable is what's necessary if you're in a position where you'd to sell someone both the TP and the app.