Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By ksht
  • 1 Post By TheMarco
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    So I bought this app and life was good. I received a replacement TouchPad because of a flaky wifi problem, and the app didn't restore. Come to find its no longer in the app catalog!

What's a user to do in a situation like this. I emailed the developer, but have not gotten a response in the past few days.

Edit: The Dev has gotten back to me and sadly HP is flexing some muscle with the UI. I'm going to miss the nostalgia almost as much as the functionality. See the link in bluenote's post below.
    Last edited by rksand; 08/04/2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Update
    read the story here. This dev is amazing and I am going to buy his app even though I don't need it, let me know when it pops back into the catalogue
    Opinionated - A tale of two pretty user interfaces
    Mr Hyde likes this.
    It's a wonder I haven't had some of the same for my Calc12C & Calc12CS in the homebrew catalog. Maybe they don't know where to find me?
    Last edited by johncc; 08/04/2011 at 08:33 PM.
    HP could have just bought his app considering there was no stock cal app to begin with. HP could have just paid him some handsome money and he is rewarded for his hardwork, and hp didnt have to worry about any infringements. Well, my background is not in law (Thank goodness)...so may be i dont know something they know..
    speedtouch likes this.
    It's silly they would force this dev to change the app's beautiful UI on their TouchPad platform, but they don't go after apps like this on other platforms: https://market.android.com/details?i...mpetence.hc11c
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    This sucks. HP should be happy but that's the problem with big companies. The new UI looks very good as well.

I would pay big Euros for Matlab/Octave and LaTeX on a Touchpad *drool*
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    This sucks. HP should be happy but that's the problem with big companies. The new UI looks very good as well.

I would pay big Euros for Matlab/Octave and LaTeX on a Touchpad *drool*
    Perhaps LaTeX could be compiled via Linux running via Chroot.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It's a wonder I haven't had some of the same for my Calc12C & Calc12CS in the homebrew catalog. Maybe they don't know where to find me? :-)
    Have you ported these to TP?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Perhaps LaTeX could be compiled via Linux running via Chroot.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You could write your tex-files with basically every text editor out there. However, I'd prefer a GUI with shortcuts to basic stuff like itemize, equation etc. Maybe I'll get my hands wet for the first time. My studies will be over in october and that's when I plan on getting a Touchpad. However, my programming experience is extremely limited, especially when GUIs are concerned. I'm an engineer, not a programmer ^^

Octave should not be a big problem as well. Biggest issue there would be the handling of plots. A card for each plot would make webOS a biest for scientific use :love:
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It's silly they would force this dev to change the app's beautiful UI on their TouchPad platform, but they don't go after apps like this on other platforms: https://market.android.com/details?i...mpetence.hc11c
    Maybe we should start reporting those to HP and see if they all receive similar treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It's a wonder I haven't had some of the same for my Calc12C & Calc12CS in the homebrew catalog. Maybe they don't know where to find me? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Have you ported these to TP?
    Yes, I have modified just the Calc12CS to run on all webOS devices including Touchpad and Pre 3. I am only using the emulator for TP & Pre 3 development, so I can't do on device testing and there have been suggestions that there are problems with taps being registered when using the TP.

If you want to give it a try, the test version is here...

Calc12CS thread
    Last edited by johncc; 08/05/2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Updated link to newer version
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    DL's the preware version earlier and got a luna reboot when I went to landscape.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    DL's the preware version earlier and got a luna reboot when I went to landscape.
    If you are talking about version 0.20.0 , then there was a problem which I introduced when updating for Pre 3 operation. 0.21.0 should work.

This discussion is a bit Off Topic for this thread and probably should continue here

Calc12CS thread
    Last edited by johncc; 08/05/2011 at 01:09 AM.
    Hey all!

Thanks a lot for the kind words. The new version of the app has been submitted to HP last night so hopefully it will show up in the app catalog again very soon!

I agree there's quite a bit of 'silliness' in this whole affair but I decided it's much better to just move on rather than starting some sort of argument about it. I figured it's simply not worth it. I'm quite happy with how the new UI came out and first signs seem to indicate that most people love it so at least nobody, especially those who paid for the app, will feel they got robbed.

Thanks again! I appreciate the support!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    The app is available again in the app catalog as of today!

If you feel like doing something nice/supportive please leave a review! (in which you don't go negative about HP and what happened to the old design, please)
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    FischOderAal likes this.