Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Two weeks on the rd
    Well, i'm concluding a 2 wk trip abroad with my TP as my sole computing device.

Areas in which it shined:

Web flash support- I was able to watch all my news channels by live streaming, no apps required

Weight-tablet + camera weighed much less than a laptop

Email

Facebook

Entertainment-Downloaded movies + shows recorded from cable with HDPVR in mp4 played flawlessly. Kindle app came in handy, not geolocked.

Glimpse app-epitome of multitasking on a tablet, would watch streaming flash video, read rss feeds and follow tweets in the same window

Didn't shine:

Lack of SD card slot or usb input to transfer pics from my DSLR camera. Used my wife's laptop to download them, transferred to TP after I installed hpplay to ensure new pics would show up. Clunky yes

Lack of hdmi/video out-had to use my wife's laptop's hdmi to easily display the pictures on my host's tv. HP should've put at least micro hdmi on this device.

Entertainment-I was unable to stream any US based movie streaming content due to georestrictions-crackle, hulu or Amazon (for which I have free streaming). Didn't complete setup of PlayOn before departure which may have bypassed this.

The TP is the closest to a laptop replacement of all the tablets, but isn't this the story of webos over the last few yrs: so near yet so far?
    Aww.. Too bad you couldn't get your PlayOn set up before you left. It would've been interesting to see how it worked for you. Thanks for the write up!
    retroblu likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I disagree that the TP is closest to a laptop replacement at this point - at least from a business perspective.

Need to use a real IT app like ssh? iPad 2 wins.
    Need to use the tablet to preset a powerpoint on a projector? iPad 2 wins.

I love my TP more than my iPad 2 but it has far less capability today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I disagree that the TP is closest to a laptop replacement at this point - at least from a business perspective.

libreoffice and ubuntu (see webos-internals wiki for install instructions) work well, we are awaiting full keyboard mapping but still nice to know can run desktop versions of office software rather than the lesser versions most tablets have.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Okay a few minutes on webos-internals and I can see, as I already knew, that I can open a terminal to linux from my computer when my TP is in dev mode. I found no references to running libreoffice?? but I assume this is after you create a new ext3 partition and install ubuntu chroot from preware?

I'm not sure booting to another OS is my idea of making the TP the best tablet out there...I love ubuntu and all, but I prefer the webOS interface...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    libreoffice and ubuntu (see webos-internals wiki for install instructions) work well, we are awaiting full keyboard mapping but still nice to know can run desktop versions of office software rather than the lesser versions most tablets have.
    That's the problem, though. Right now there are soo many things that we know the TP can do, that require workarounds to accomplish. Average people don't want workarounds, they don't want to dig up some obscure patch, app or 3rd party tool in order to do simple thngs that should just work.

I have a TP that hasn't left my side since I got it. Love it. I don't mind coming to this site and digging through forums to figure out how to get the TP do do things (AND I APPRECIATE all of the devs who make those things possible!!!), but the average user does mind and most will not bother. HP HAS to fix this stuff at a steady clip if they want the Touchpad to catch on. Serously..
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Okay a few minutes on webos-internals and I can see, as I already knew, that I can open a terminal to linux from my computer when my TP is in dev mode. I found no references to running libreoffice?? but I assume this is after you create a new ext3 partition and install ubuntu chroot from preware?

I'm not sure booting to another OS is my idea of making the TP the best tablet out there...I love ubuntu and all, but I prefer the webOS interface...
    You are not booting to another OS you are running another OS in a card. Check out post #19 here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3047760 for a couple of screenshots.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm reading that thread too...chrooted OS with X11 mapped to a card. Pretty slick.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I will most likely be doing this after webOS 3.02 is released.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I wasn't referring to it as a business laptop as it
    lacks a decent citrix client that I use on a daily basis @ work. The general sense of workflow on the TP is what is akin to a laptop with cards stack and glimpse to name a few.