Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Has anyone figured out how/where to activate private browsing? I notice that's listed as a feature in the latest version, but can't figure out how to actually enable it...
    Preferences
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ^ oh! i was expecting some sort of toggle that you can turn on/off without going into the preference...
    not unless there's a hidden feature I haven't found

could always e-mail/tweet maklesoft as a suggested enhancement.

not a big deal to me
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Just so you know: Yes, we are listening! Although we dont always choose to participate in the discussion, we still try to listen to what you guys are saying. And to be clear: We are NOT done developing for webOS. In the contrary: we are currently working on new projects but we are always open for new suggestions for our published apps. Just keep it coming!

Martin from MaKleSoft
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    so how does one get glimpse to load the new advanced browser? Or do I have to wait for a glimpse update?
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    so how does one get glimpse to load the new advanced browser? Or do I have to wait for a glimpse update?
    Glimpse has already been updated to support Advanced Browser. You just have to enable it by going into the preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    Nice to see an update and one of the points I mentioned has been added (opening tabs in background).
    This was one of my main gripes with the 'Advanced browser' and I am glad that the option to open tabs in background has been added. But, there seems to be a bug with this feature. Why does the focus switch to the new tab for a brief moment before coming back to the active page? Is this a bug, or is it just a clever workaround, for the 'genius' way in which webOS 3.0.2 implements multitasking?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    Oh... the left/right thumb nav has been added too... fine
    Yes, another good addition to the 'advanced browser'. But, to be honest I would much prefer the 'custom browser gestures' patch, be incorporated into the 'Advanced Browser'. At the very least, it would be nice if the 'button' size and spacing is increased, in the current 'quick action bar'.

Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Has anyone figured out how/where to activate private browsing? I notice that's listed as a feature in the latest version, but can't figure out how to actually enable it...
    Considering that a lot of us like to switch 'private browsing' on/off a lot, it would be nicer if a toggle button was provided in the 'drop down' menu. Which is in fact, what the homebrew 'private browsing' patch adds to the native browser.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Glimpse has already been updated to support Advanced Browser. You just have to enable it by going into the preferences.
    I have advanced browser in glimpse, its just not the latest version.
    There seems to be a bug that effects shifting focus to another tab when an existing active tab is closed. When you close an active tab with focus, the tab closes, but the focus does not shift to another open tab and instead you end up with a blank screen.

Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I have advanced browser in glimpse, its just not the latest version.
    Yeah, what's with that? Why is there an older version of 'advanced browser' in Glimpse. How does this actually work? I was under the impression that Glimpse simply opens the 'Advanced browser' already installed. But now it seems like there is a separate version of 'Advanced browser' included within Glimpse. That seems like a waste of resources to have two separate versions installed. Also, so does this mean that if you buy and install Glimpse, the 'Advanced browser' comes bundled with it?

As I understood it, Glimpse just uses widgets for its functions, not the real programs itself. Advanced Browser is only available when you bought it.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Yes, another good addition to the 'advanced browser'. But, to be honest I would much prefer the 'custom browser gestures' patch, be incorporated into the 'Advanced Browser'. At the very least, it would be nice if the 'button' size and spacing is increased, in the current 'quick action bar'.
    I agree. With custom browser gesture in it would be perfect.

I figure they added thumbNav control instead of browser gesture because it wasn't released when they were making the update version.
    The latest version with the ThumbNav compatibility is great for me. Thanks!
    Yep getting better all the time

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    There seems to be a bug that effects shifting focus to another tab when an existing active tab is closed. When you close an active tab with focus, the tab closes, but the focus does not shift to another open tab and instead you end up with a blank screen.
    Forum user Paintoad has a fix for this. I can't find the post on the forum but the link to the fix on his blog is here:

Ramblings of a Closet Geek: Advanced Browser - Fixing Tabs

For those who can't be bothered to click the link:

1. Open /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.maklesoft.browser/source/BrowserApp.jsjsjs
    2. Find the closeTab function, and replace it's contents with the following (inside the curly brackets for non-coders):

var browserIndex = sender.parent.value;
    var currentIndex = this.$.tabs.getValue();

if (this.$.tabs.getControls().length > 2) {
    this.$["tab" + browserIndex].destroy();
    this.$["browser" + browserIndex].destroy();
    if (browserIndex == currentIndex) {
    //start by looking left
    for (var i = currentIndex-1; i > -1; i--) {
    if (this.$["tab" + (i)]) {
    this.$.tabs.setValue(i);
    this.tabChanged(this.$.tabs);
    return true;
    }
    }
    //then look right if not found
    for (var i = currentIndex+1; i < this.tabCount+1; i++) {
    if (this.$["tab" + (i)]) {
    this.$.tabs.setValue(i);
    this.tabChanged(this.$.tabs);
    return true;
    }
    }
    }
    }
    return true;

3. Reboot tablet
    4. Done
    All credit for this fix goes to Paintoad!
    Last edited by ns1959; 09/30/2011 at 03:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ns1959 View Post
    Forum user Paintoad has a fix for this. I can't find the post on the forum but the link to the fix on his blog is here:

Ramblings of a Closet Geek: Advanced Browser - Fixing Tabs

For those who can't be bothered to click the link:

All credit for this fix goes to Paintoad!
    Apparently this fix has been around since at least September 2nd. I am wondering why MaKleSoft has not bothered to incorporate the fix in the actual app.

Maybe in the next update...

It would be nice if they could incorporate the cache fix too as this one has been annoying a lot of people. The fix Paintoad gave for this actually is applied to the default browser and appears to be inherited by other browser apps built on to of it so I guess they couldn't implement the fix as is without affecting other apps. Maybe there's a way to override the default cache settings on a per app basis?

p.s. I found that the only bit that needed changing to fix the cache issue was the DiskCacheEnabled=false bit.