1.    #1  
    Greetings,

Last year about this time I had an ipad 1st gen. There was a handy little thing call instapaper that I could install as a bookmarklet on the browser and use that to save articles to the ipad itself and access them offline via the browser app. It was super.

I wondered if this were possible with the TP; enter PaperMache. However, I need to pay a cloud $1 per month to store articles for offline viewing? I don't follow. Why can't it function as it did on the ipad? Direct save and access from the pad itself. Does it even function that way on the ipad any longer? If so, why isn't papermache, or something like it, able to save articles in this fashion?
    There's the instapaper bookmarklet, then there's the instapaper API. The API requires that users (as opposed to developers) pay to access instapaper. So instead of the developer paying and passing the cost off to users, users have to pay this cost directly.

Of course, there are ways to get free access to instapaper. What the Spare Time app does is that it scrapes the content of the instapaper website, allowing it to get around the API limitation. However, this scheme is prone to breaking whenever the web site design changes.
  3.    #3  
    So what I used on the ipad was indeed the bookmarklet that didn't utilize the API? I still don't quite understand what I'm accessing that requires payment beyond purchasing the app. Is there a cloud that formats the article and then the device saves the article to it's memory, from said cloud? What is the $1 per month paying for, exactly? I'd rather pay once for an app that just grabs the data directly and stores it locally, if indeed it works that way.

After not having a tablet for about 10 months and now using the TP; it's little things like this I that have me wishing I still had my ipad but then I know I'd miss webOS. Not to mention feeling crappy for paying the apple tax.
    JavaScript bookmarklets are not supported on the TouchPad, meaning there's no way for you to save articles to Instapaper directly from the browser (right now).

As rsanchez1 said above, if you use anything other than Instapaper's official app to access your content through their API, you have to pay $1 a month to have full access.

He has to make money somehow for those that access the service outside the official apps (where he makes most of his money). Managing the servers required to keep Instapaper running are not cheap.
  5.    #5  
    I'm in IT, I know the cost of such things, it sucks. So does the instapaper service also allow folks to save stuff to it's server and sync cross platform? Or is the cost of the app and subs just to support development?

sigh; the ipad has been out for a while, I'm just gonna have to accept that moving to webos is gonna be like this for a while until it gets more mature on the tablet format.
    Last edited by observator; 07/26/2011 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    I'm in IT, I know the cost of such things, it sucks. So does the instapaper service also allow folks to save stuff to it's server and sync cross platform? Or is the cost of the app and subs just to support development?

sigh; the ipad has been out for a while, I'm just gonna have to accept that moving to webos is gonna be like this for a while until it gets more mature on the tablet format.
    You're paying to retrieve your content. If a user isn't a $1/mo paying customer AND not using the official Instapaper app, they don't have access to retrieve their content through the API.

It's clearly outlined here, under Subscription accounts: Instapaper: Full Developer API Documentation

Most of the Full API’s methods require the authenticating user to have a Subscription account.

Only these methods may be used for users without a Subscription:

• /api/1/oauth/access_token
    • /api/1/account/verify_credentials
    • /api/1/bookmarks/add
    • /api/1/folders/list
    Hope that clears things up and makes sense.
    Yeah, that's the main reason why I'd use Read It Later's API over Instapaper's. Read It Later is not charging for use (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Yeah, that's the main reason why I'd use Read It Later's API over Instapaper's. Read It Later is not charging for use (yet).
    One likely, $2.5 million reason: Read It Later Raises $2.5 Million, Wants To Become The Dropbox Of Content | TechCrunch
    PaperMache tweeted today that they added a patch to get a button on the TP browser! I plan on testing it tomorrow.

"@PaperMacheApp "Add to Paper Mache" patch to allow saving pages directly from the #TouchPad Browser app now available via #Preware.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Before I decide to sub to instapaper; I gotta ask: Are there any read it later apps or any means of interfacing with it in webos? I thought I saw something in preware yesterday. Read it later will allow for saving of article to the device for offline viewing?
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    Before I decide to sub to instapaper; I gotta ask: Are there any read it later apps or any means of interfacing with it in webos? I thought I saw something in preware yesterday. Read it later will allow for saving of article to the device for offline viewing?
    I use Paper Mache on the TP and SpareTime on the Pre with my Instapaper subscription. Works quite well.
    I'm confused I have the $1 a month instapaper & paper mache installed but for the life of me can't figure out how to save pages from my Touchpad. I don't have or need preware, is that the only way or am I missing something?
    To save a webpage directly on the TouchPad, you have four options:

1) Install Preware, Install Add to Paper Mache patch. Adds an entry to the browser Share menu to directly save to Paper Mache
    2) Click the App Menu and click 'Add By URL' and paste in the URL you want to save.
    3) Email the URL, or content for the page to your @instapaper.com email address.

These are all outlined in the Introduction document:
    Introduction
    and in the FAQ:
    paper mache : faq

4) Or you can go to the instapaper.com website on your TouchPad and add an article by URL there as well.

There are also other apps that integrate "Save to Instapaper" like the Google Reader, nomnomnom.
    --
    @ryanwatkins

Paper Mache / @papermacheapp
    http://www.ryanwatkins.net/software/papermache/
    I'm confused on why it doesn't have readitlater integration (which is free). Is paper mache made by the people at instapaper?
    Paper Mache does not have ReadItLater integration, because I decided to write an Instapaper app, not a ReadItLater app.

If you'd prefer to use ReadItLater, there are other apps in the catalog for that. I think mine is better, and worth the $1/month. But maybe one of those apps are what you're looking for instead.

Paper Mache is made by me, not the people at Instapaper. Thats made clear in the app catalog description, the application website (ryanwatkins.net) and the introduction page when you first run the app.

Paper Mache is free - I get paid nothing. The subscription fee Paper Mache users pay all goes to Instapaper, not myself. This confusion over the subscription model is the main reason I decided to make the application free.
    --
    @ryanwatkins

Paper Mache / @papermacheapp
    http://www.ryanwatkins.net/software/papermache/
    sorry I didn't do my research on who made it. But yes, I've been using readitlater for almost a year now on my other devices so I was looking for an app for my TP. I did buy an app that supports it but I do like the look of paper mache better, oh well. More cost effective to buy the app and free service rather the other way around.

edit: oh and about the integration, its been a long day, don't know why I thought you could have both.
    Last edited by Tendo; 09/15/2011 at 01:46 AM.