Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pdch
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Is there a backup utility for the TouchPad yet that will backup all of your app data, pics, etc like "Pre Backup Utility" for the Pre? I have a touchpad that isn't working right, and need to run webOS doctor, but want to make sure I can back everything up first. If there is not a utility, is there a way to manually copy everything over and restore?
    dmcccdmn likes this.
    WebOS doctor doesn't delete data stored on the USB drive, and all your apps are backed up with your Palm profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    WebOS doctor doesn't delete data stored on the USB drive, and all your apps are backed up with your Palm profile.
    My hunch is that the question is in regard to Save/Restore? I haven't tried it yet on the TouchPad, I doctored & am waiting for the OTA before I patch again (my device went crazy unstable when patched before).

Having not used Save/Restore on the TouchPad, I lost all of my save game data for Quell, Slice-it, and Robotek. Sucked, but I'll deal with it.
    back ups, like syncing, calendars and doc editing has never caught up to palmos.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    My hunch is that the question is in regard to Save/Restore? I haven't tried it yet on the TouchPad, I doctored & am waiting for the OTA before I patch again (my device went crazy unstable when patched before).

Having not used Save/Restore on the TouchPad, I lost all of my save game data for Quell, Slice-it, and Robotek. Sucked, but I'll deal with it.

Yeah, looks like I am hosed as well. Save/Restore still doesn't recognize most of the apps, so was hoping to avoid losing data if there was something else out there. My unit has defective hardware (will not recognize touchstone in any orientation and only broadcasts from the left headphone when using headphone jack).
    Yeah I think last Save/Restore only had 2 HD apps on it, NFS and Angry Birds.

Speaking of which I should manually go in with internalz and back up a couple things.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The backup utility is under the "Settings" tab on the menu. It backs up your profile to include synergy accounts and apps downloaded from the official app catalog. It will not back up your media files, documents stored on the USB drive, Homebrew apps, or saved application data (position in games, etc.). Plug your Touchpad to a PC and back up the data on your USB drive prior to doctoring it. Once you reenter your profile information into your Touchpad it will download all your official apps and restore your synergy account settings. Make sure you have a good wifi connection. You will have to re-enter the passwords for each account that is password protected so make sure you know all your password. Then transfer your data back to your Touchpad from your PC.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    What do we do when HP shuts down the servers with our backups on it? Is there a way to backup EVERYTHING onto my pc? My apps, data, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulm64 View Post
    What do we do when HP shuts down the servers with our backups on it? Is there a way to backup EVERYTHING onto my pc? My apps, data, etc?
    I'm guessing the tp will become obsolete before the servers are shut down (or hope so anyway). It would be nice to have a clone program.
    You can make .ipks of your apps with internalz.

After updating to 3.0.4, I had problems with some programs like WiFi file browser, TouchVol and ReadOn touch, sound issues and the tp was lagging on shutdown/restart. I doctored it and most problems have been resolved, although I still get the occasional sound distortion.

After I ran the backup and doctor, I noticed the touchpad automatically reinstalled some app store applications I had deleted weeks prior. So it's not an exact backup/reinstall.

I ran the save/restore app, but did not use it to reinstall. I wanted to reinstall the preware apps/patches slowly, because I wasn't sure if a particular one was the causing the previous issues I had. Before the doctor I took some screenshots of all the apps in my launcher, the installed packages in preware and software manager's pages, then backed up the .png files with TB file transfer to a screenshots folder on my pc to help keep track while reinstalling.

I think muffle system logging might be causing some conflicts, but not sure.
    This is a good question. I've been wondering what's the most reliable way of backing up all the information including apps/games settings. I hate losing game progress. Perhaps a backup app is due? Not sure if there's a demand for one seeing this question hasn't been asked until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcccdmn View Post
    This is a good question. I've been wondering what's the most reliable way of backing up all the information including apps/games settings. I hate losing game progress. Perhaps a backup app is due? Not sure if there's a demand for one seeing this question hasn't been asked until now.
    I think save/restore is supposed to save those settings for apps it supports, but I haven't tried it.

http://www.precentral.net/understand...ve-restore-app

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...velopment.html
    read here:
    [url= Survival Kit[/url]
    Complete backup apps have been requested since webOS launched, but Save/Restore is as close as we get.