Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Hello,

I just signed up to the forum to relate my experience with the long awaited Zinio app. First I must state that I am super happy to see it arrive ! Thanks Zinio for not letting us down. And since it is my first message, thanks to PreCentral for hosting this forum and to the many members from whom I've learned a lot without leaving any "thanks" or "like"... 'till now !

As many here I saw my Zinio library being empty at my first connection.

I noticed that if I remove some items from my library, the Touchpad App synchronizes correctly. My full library has about 14 items (including the 10 free samples), so it it is not a size issue.

I keep getting the "traditional" error many have seen :
    <zinioServiceResponse><responseStatus>
    <status>0</status>
    <errorDetail><code>SYSTEM_ERROR</code></errorDetail>
    </responseStatus></zinioServiceResponse>

If I have any of those following items in my library :
    - The Going Greener Guidebook
    - The PopSci Genius Guide Zinio Digital

Those items were free, so I deleted them without too much remorse (I read some of it from my PC). And the synchronization occurs now smoothly.

So... From my point of view, the bug is that if one item is not compatible, the server should not totally refuse to update the library, but only update it filtered with the compatible items.

Another thought : when looking at the library on the Zinio website (http://www.zinio.com/my-library.jsp?...Date&view=list) as a list, there are columns for pc/mac, iphone, ipad and checkboxes indicating support/compatibility. We definitely need a new column "HP Touchpad" ! Maybe this could be added as a profile option: indicate which devices you own, and the columns will appear accordingly. We understand that HP Touchpad users dwarf the iOS people... but even the Android users would benefit from that option...
    anyone know how to delete the sample mags in your library?
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptilol View Post
    Hello,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! EXCELLENT FIRST POST.

I deleted both those items and now I have my library back.

May you be blessed and highly favored, live long and prosper, etc, etc.

Oh...and welcome to Precentral.net. Enjoy your stay!!!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    anyone know how to delete the sample mags in your library?
    Sign into the website. Click my library the upper right, click edit, remove the items, and then click done.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
    >>- Zinio breaks Adobe Reader. Well it still works, but it's next to useless since it's littered with hundreds if not thousands of encrypted page fragments. Could be just me though since nobody else on this thread has reported it. Would appreciate some help if you know how to get around this.

I can confirm that this behavior is on mine too. Hopefully, zinio can change their directory to be hidden as suggested by jhoff80.

webOS itself does not help this situation either - since webOS has no scrollbar element (Android does not have one that you can drag but at least gives you a visual clue to how long the list is), it is impossible to know how long the list is. Fortunately all my PDFs start with letters before the letter P (all the fragments are Page1, Page2, etc) so the PDFs I care about are still at the top in the Reader app (for now).

I emailed Zinio Support about my missing magazine issues in my library - will report back on the results.
    Zinio Support got back with me - the missing magazine issues in my library are interactive magazine issues - interactive magazines are not currently supported on the version of Zinio for Touchpad. Hopefully, they'll release a future version with compatibility.

If you're having any problems with the app, I would advise you to email them as I did - support@zinio.com
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    You're a champion! My library has now appeared after deleting the Going Greener book

I'll update Zinio via email of the issue...ta mate
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Ok...after working with Zinio and their support group it appears that the app has problems with magazines older than 2009 (in my case). I removed all the magazine (back to 2005) from my PC Web browser and restarted the app...BAM!! Magazines started loading in the Library. I have all my 2010 and 2011 magazines. I was told that the developer is working on a resolution and that will come in some future update. Should you wish, you can re-activate the older magazines later when the app gets fixed.

BTW...for my problems I got a free 12-issue subscription! Thanks Zinio.
    EUREKA!

Removing the PopSci Genius Guide freed up my Zinio library. Thanks!!!! I was hoping it was as "simple" as finding a culprit magazine, but I didn't want to go through the trial and error of figuring out which one(s) it was. Combinations were mindboggling with my library!

I will email Zinio's support to update my ticket. Thanks again!
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I heard back from Zinio and they confirm that any of the following will prevent your library from showing.

- The PopSci Genius Guide- Green Home Guide
    - The PopSci Genius Guide : Dec-09 Jan-10
    - The PopSci Genius Guide- Home Entertainment(also appears as Popular Science- Home Entertainment)
    - VIVmag - VIVGREEN
    - Sample Magazine : First Edition

If you have any of the above in your library (looking at it through a web browser, obviously), remove them from your active library, then sign in again from your TouchPad. You should now see your library.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    THANK YOU so much for that, everythingsablur. That's exactly what I needed to discover. Turns out, I had a bunch of those:

Removing them did the trick! I am now able to see my magazines on my TouchPad. I've been using Zinio for a long time and have a large library. Downloading a bunch now, thanks to your post.
    Last edited by Fofer; 11/08/2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Interesting to note:

For a long while, even as a big Apple fan, I'd been upset at their strict approval process with regards to content for the App Store and the iOS ecosystem. No apps with adult content, that's fine, I understand that. But also, I was under the impression that the reason the Zinio app on the iPad wasn't allowed to display Playboy subscriptions was due to the same rule. That didn't make as much sense to me, since it's a paid subscription, and let's be honest, any child can easily see far more graphic content via (free) Mobile Safari. Still, I chalked this censorship up to Apple's strict rules, and went on with my day.

Now I see that Playboy isn't available to WebOS on the TouchPad either. Nor Android. So now I'm just wondering, who's decided to keep this content entirely off tablets? Is this coming from Zinio, and if so, why is that?

Yes, I know Playboy.com has their own subscription for a web app now, to bypass any censoring filter, but it's three times more expensive, and as a web app isn't as elegant and efficient as a real app like Zinio.

I'm just wondering why the powers that be (at which company? all of them? Just Zinio?) has decided that adults who have paid for a subscription to a magazine like Playboy (which BTW, does have some excellent articles) should not be allowed to view them on their expensive tablet. We can view them on our Mac/PC, but not on a tablet using the same software. It seems like a bizarre, arbitrary choice to me, that's all. I'm not complaining so much as I'm sincerely curious to know the rationale behind this decision. Does anyone here have any insight?
    "- Zinio breaks Adobe Reader. Well it still works, but it's next to useless since it's littered with hundreds if not thousands of encrypted page fragments. Could be just me though since nobody else on this thread has reported it. Would appreciate some help if you know how to get around this. "

I'm also having the same problem with Adobe Reader now that I've installed Zinio. Its rather annoying to see all these hundreds of page fragments littering my list of Adobe Documents. If Zinio or Adobe could fix this problem that would be fantastic. Also if Adobe could list the pdf files as they appear withing the folder hierarchy rather just all in one common list that would be great!
    Quote Originally Posted by genenyc View Post
    "- Zinio breaks Adobe Reader. Well it still works, but it's next to useless since it's littered with hundreds if not thousands of encrypted page fragments. Could be just me though since nobody else on this thread has reported it. Would appreciate some help if you know how to get around this. "

I'm also having the same problem with Adobe Reader now that I've installed Zinio. Its rather annoying to see all these hundreds of page fragments littering my list of Adobe Documents. If Zinio or Adobe could fix this problem that would be fantastic. Also if Adobe could list the pdf files as they appear withing the folder hierarchy rather just all in one common list that would be great!
    There's a patch that fixes this in Adobe Reader (but I think if you're looking at PDFs in QuickOffice it might still display).

http://forums.precentral.net/3235207-post338.html
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Quote Originally Posted by dept27 View Post
    Had the same problem. In the end deleted the app and reinstalled it and that seems to have fixed it, although the bottom section where you see all the pages are blank.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks... I was having the same problem (unable to read articles because double clicking to zoom text to readable level would create a blurry mess). I deleted the app, re-downloaded from the catalog, and re-logged in.

I am now able to read article but like you, the line of pages below the main viewer is now a series of blank (gray) pages. I would prefer this problem than my previous problem, but I am leery of spending on subscriptions if the app is unstable.

Anyone else have and solve the problem and blurry closeups?

fyi, still completely stock 16gb TP. I am having more and more probs with apps (eg stock browser slowing down and multiple "unable to load page" error messages). At this point I am considering having at Preware and modifying the TP since the risk of screwing it up is being outweighed by its performance issues.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genenyc View Post
    "- Zinio breaks Adobe Reader. Well it still works, but it's next to useless since it's littered with hundreds if not thousands of encrypted page fragments.... If Zinio or Adobe could fix this problem that would be fantastic.
    I don't use Zinio but I have read this several times in the forums. Is there nobody contacting Zinio and telling them about this problem? In my opinion Zinio should use a custom file extension instead of .pdf because anyway only Zinio is able to show the file's contents.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    I don't use Zinio but I have read this several times in the forums. Is there nobody contacting Zinio and telling them about this problem? In my opinion Zinio should use a custom file extension instead of .pdf because anyway only Zinio is able to show the file's contents.
    This patch - http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3194859 - fixes Adobe Reader to not index anything in the Zinio directory. It's been mentioned numerous times, so people continuing to complain about the problem are being somewhat obstinate in not fixing it for themselves.

Yes, it would be great is Zinio fixed it, but considering how long it took to get the current version out, just fix it yourself with the above patch until that fateful day comes (or doesn't come; more likely scenario).
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    Anyone else have and solve the problem and blurry closeups?

fyi, still completely stock 16gb TP. I am having more and more probs with apps (eg stock browser slowing down and multiple "unable to load page" error messages). At this point I am considering having at Preware and modifying the TP since the risk of screwing it up is being outweighed by its performance issues.
    I uninstalled the application, deleted the Zinio directory from my /media/internal folder, reinstalled, and... I load all books in the portrait orientation. I know, I think it sounds stupid too. Just on totally anecdotal observation, if I load things in landscape, they don't zoom consistently. If I load things in portrait, they are inherently more zoomed than the zoomed out landscape view, and seem to work better when viewing in landscape. Just my observation, 100% non-scientific.

BTW: It's really damn hard to screw up a device with Preware I'm finding. The system is highly recoverable.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    This patch - http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3194859 - fixes Adobe Reader to not index anything in the Zinio directory
    I know about this patch (as I read the forums), but
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    I don't use Zinio ...
    just wanted to get rid of my opinion
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I had to remove all my magazines prior to 2010, and it worked! Crazy, I've been using Zinio since 2003. Love me some Zinio! Wish they were able to offer the same deal that Apple does - free ipad digital version for print subscribers. I don't want to have to pay for another digital version of Wired.
    not many options in here. I thought there would be more mags to grab. shoot.