Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    so I have seen a few people mention gemini. Wondering if anyone using it has compare it to internalz, I get that its a useful app for those that dont HB but I would rather send $5 to jay than $3 for something that is less functional than internalz

I know gemini wont have certain features due to it being an official app, just wondering if there are features useful to those of us used to internal.

BTW this is nothing negative against gemini or its dev, just curious.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Here's a few pieces of info most people seem to not know
    - The version of Internalz on the App Catalog is specifically designed for phones
    - Internalz Pro in the homebrew world is a full-screen Mojo app and only intended as a stop-gap solution for TouchPad owners
    - A renovated Internalz HD is in the works, designed specifically for the TouchPad, with new features, and with optional homebrew support if FileMgr is installed
    - Once I release Internalz HD, but it, and the old regular Internalz will be lowered from the current $4 to $3 to keep a competitive edge

EDIT: And for the record, I'd like to try and avoid the "which is better" debates. Both will have their own advantages; I know the dev from twitter and he's a nice guy, we just happen to be both making file managers.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/23/2011 at 06:02 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    - A renovated Internalz HD is in the works, designed specifically for the TouchPad, with new features, and with optional homebrew support if FileMgr is installed
    I like the additional HB support in the upcoming paid HD app. Seals the deal for me personally and I had missed the additional HB support in what I have read so thanks for pointing that out Jason.

Wasn't really thinking about switching anyways, been loving internalz for what seams like forever now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I use both. Internalz has better filesystem support and default app support as well. Gemini with double panes is easier for moving files and just (right now at least) using it in landscape mode. Gemini also supports Dropbox - more Network support promised. Happy to have both and pay for both. Options! I like options!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I'm using Internalz Pro 1.5.0 on my TouchPad and I'm happy with it.

But I also use Gemini for the following reasons:
    - Only official file manager in the catalog so far (until Internalz HD has been released that is)
    - Dual pane layout (very handy, I'm a long time Total Commander user on my PC)
    - Dropbox support (nice!)
    - Very slick photo viewer with small thumbnail bar for navigation
    - The dev is very responsive and working on added features such as box.net and ZIP archive support (per his twitter statements) plus some other network access

Will I purchase Internalz HD once it is available? Of course! There's nothing wrong with having multiple tools available (and supporting outstanding devs).
    kayphoonstar and noseph like this.
    I use Gemini and so far am happy with it. Waiting for Box.net support.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I use Gemini and so far am happy with it. Waiting for Box.net support.
    me too.... I find it odd there is no box.net support yet. I'm actually minutes away from opening a free drop account just to test with gemeni.

I will buy jasons when it comes out for the TP. He rulez.
    I hope they soon have the ability to extract zip and rar files
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    I'm using Internalz Pro 1.5.0 on my TouchPad and
    - Dual pane layout (very handy, I'm a long time Total Commander user on my PC)
    TC for life!
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    I hope they soon have the ability to extract zip and rar files
    For the record, I announced a long while ago after Internalz HD 1.0 is out, my ArchiveXtractor app would be next. I've only briefly mentioned it before, but I plan on have Internalz HD integration, on the same level of Integration I'm planning for homebrew

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    How's the transfer speed using Gemini or Internalz HD? When using Internalz Pro, moving files on the TouchPad is MUCH slower than on the phone. Don't know if this is an inherent "feature" of the TouchPad or just the consequences of running a Mojo app on webOS 3.0.
    Robitaille Homebrew HD all the way. You the man!
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    How's the transfer speed using Gemini or Internalz HD? When using Internalz Pro, moving files on the TouchPad is MUCH slower than on the phone. Don't know if this is an inherent "feature" of the TouchPad or just the consequences of running a Mojo app on webOS 3.0.
    I haven't noticed this myself. FileMgr uses linux binaries to move/copy files/folders, so it should be pretty fast. I'll do a bit of testing later this week.

I haven't noticed this myself. FileMgr uses linux binaries to move/copy files/folders, so it should be pretty fast. I'll do a bit of testing later this week.
    What's been happening to me is: tap on file name (all < 1 MB), select move from popup menu, select destination directory. It takes 2 - 3 seconds for the notification about successful move.

I think the move is taking that long & not just a lag in the notification. After selecting the destination directory, the display immediately returns to the file list, the moved file name isn't displayed, & if I tap on another file, it's 2 - 3 seconds before the pop up menus appears. It seems to pop up simultaneously when the notification pops up. It's nice that Internalz Pro caches the tap - don't know if that's a webOS feature or your programming skills.

For comparison, I bought Gemini & moved 14 files (nulti-select) from / to the same directories as before. Basically the "completed" message popped up as soon as I tapped OK to confirm the action.

So back to the original "I don't know". I now know fast transfers are possible, but I don't know if the cause of Internalz Pro's relatively slow transfer is because of webOS 3.0, Mojo running full-screen in emulator, or programming issues.

Oh, and yes, Internalz Pro & FileMgr are latest versions in the public feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    What's been happening to me is: tap on file name (all < 1 MB), select move from popup menu, select destination directory. It takes 2 - 3 seconds for the notification about successful move.
    Hmm, looks like you're right. I should have early beta of Internalz HD soon to compare. Would you like in on the beta group?

Well, InternalZ or Gemini, my only need is support SugarSync... but if support Dropbox, SugarSync, FTP, ZumoDrive, Box.Net, etc, I promisse that I don't claim!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  17.    #17  
    Hmm, looks like you're right. I should have early beta of Internalz HD soon to compare. Would you like in on the beta group?
    I'm down for some beta testing if you need more folks.
    Sure. My email is pgovotsos at gmail.
    Gemini just added box.net support.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Gemini just added box.net support.
    Yep, and it works very well! I noticed a problem with the app and emailed the dev. He fired back an email in 5 minutes...from his Pre! Very responsive. Gemini is a superb app and it's money well spent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast