Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I need a good terminal app. Is there one in the app catalog or Preware that works with the Touchpad? I need it to use the zip/uzip command since there is no zip application for the Touchpad yet.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    preware........has that stuff..(xserver,xecutah,xterm). and zip/unzip gets install when you install (save/restore). You can digg for instructions or purchase the home brew guide for 99 cents from the Catalog

Edit: Just remembered that the terminal app will not work correctly until the upcoming OS update. It will load but you will not be able to type
    I'm pretty sure that installing the Xecutah/XTerm combo in the Preware testing feeds is what you're looking for. Xecutah is also used for the Ubuntu Chroot, which requires either a 'debsmall.img' file or a Doctor to create a new partition. But just installing Xecutah,Xterm gives you a command line.

Once installed, you have to run 'Xserver' first (from Xecutah), then go back to Xecutah and run XTerm. Then you can close Xecutah and the terminal is running in the Xserver card.

Caveat: You need a BT keyboard (or dev firmware), since mappings for virtual keyboard aren't done (yet?)

Only other way I know of is via WOSQI.
    I've been using xterm. You need to have the bluetooth keyboard to use it though.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    this, plus ssh, is a tragic shortfall fornthe tp. Hell, ipads and iphones have ssh.
    And so can your webOS devices by installing it from preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    this, plus ssh, is a tragic shortfall fornthe tp. Hell, ipads and iphones have ssh.
    What are you talking about? Webos has had ssh and terminal apps for a long time. OpenSSH either through Preware (which includes Xforwarding if running in Xterm) or you can run the dev sdk which puts ssh (dropbear) on it. As for Terminals, WebOS has a few terminal apps from, SDLTerminal, to Terminal app to Xterm. As the others have said Xterm works on the Touch Pap but requires a BT keyboard atleast untill the upcoming OTA.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    Edit: Just remembered that the terminal app will not work correctly until the upcoming OS update. It will load but you will not be able to type
    That's what I was afraid of. So no terminal support until the update (I don't have the BT keyboard). I think Internalz HD will be ready by then. Hope Jason adds zip support in it.
    I am disappointed so far that there is no Terminal yet (dont have a bluetooth keyboard either yet so xterm does not work for myself), hopefully it will come, have been eager to try to set up SSH for my touchpad, would make transferring files so much easier.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. So no terminal support until the update (I don't have the BT keyboard). I think Internalz HD will be ready by then. Hope Jason adds zip support in it.
    yep, already confirmed zip and rar will be supported in the first post-release update
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    And so can your webOS devices by installing it from preware.
    Okay, so install it and then show me a screenshot of using it on your TP please.
    The ssh on preware is only useable from a connected computer.
    If I have a connected computers...*** do I need a TP for?

Xterm + ssh + bluetooth keyboard? Not really a solution.

Something like zaTelnet would be excellent.
    Last edited by Mize; 07/23/2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    While we're at it, webOS has OpenVPN too...but no way to use it on the TP.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    where is xterm on preware? Doesn't show up when I search all.
    Xterm in Preware by setting up the testing feed.

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

are you looking for a SSH client or SSH server on your TP?

SSH servers those are available, ssh client will require a terminal, so once there is a terminal you will have an ssh client. Multiple Terminals are in the works from my understanding. Give the TP/HP a little time to get the next update release and all your dreams will be solved.(at least the ones about ssh and terminals)

The wonderful thing about WebOS and linux there is always a work around or another option if you are smart enough and determined enough to figure it out.
    darkassain likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ssh client to remote-admin my servers...hence the need for a terminal
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    ssh client to remote-admin my servers...hence the need for a terminal
    thus why I still carry around a ThinkPad for this function. It would be cool to be able to this on a Touchpad, though.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    thus why I still carry around a ThinkPad for this function. It would be cool to be able to this on a Touchpad, though.
    ...and you can do it on an iPad or iPad2 so...come on already
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    yep, already confirmed zip and rar will be supported in the first post-release update
    You are a webOS god!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Anyone can confirm xterm works in 3.0.2 with just the virtual keyboard (not a BT paired one)?
    it does.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast