Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By alee712
  • 1 Post By alee712
  1.    #1  
    Thanks! I like the box layout across the screen. Feeds take you to the NY Times page.
    There is video but for some reason my youtube app spawns the video app which just opens and spins, so I could not check out the video. OTA #! Where are you?
    Did this app get pulled? I can't find it in either the hp catalog or in preware? Thx for any info....
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisby View Post
    Did this app get pulled? I can't find it in either the hp catalog or in preware? Thx for any info....
    I just checked & still have it on my TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I just checked & still have it on my TouchPad.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply... do you mean you have it installed and it still works or that you can see it in the app's catalog (if that's where it comes from). Thanks again, chris
    mine still works, but I also can't find it in the catalog.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply... do you mean you have it installed and it still works or that you can see it in the app's catalog (if that's where it comes from). Thanks again, chris
    Sorry for a late reply. Mine is still installed & still works--I like it a lot. BUT, I just did a search for it in the app catalog and could not find it.
    Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply... Saw a bunch of posts regarding the app but figured I was looking in the wrong places to find it. Now, hopefully someone from SpinBytes will see this and maybe pop in and comment. Or is there any other way to find a removed app? Thx again for any info....
    Sent them an email after I read your post. Still waiting for a reply...
    Thanks, please let us know what they say... I had thought about doing the same but wasn't sure if they are "spinbytes.com" or not. The page at that address looks like a sw consultancy or something (and doesn't mention any of their apps that I saw). So thanks for checking....
    Quote Originally Posted by alee712 View Post
    Sent them an email after I read your post. Still waiting for a reply...
    Ever hear back from them?
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Ever hear back from them?
    +1.

I'd be also interested in getting their NYT reader back (lost it after I visited the Doctor with my TP).
    Yeah! Wah happened?
    Sorry, no reply yet.
    Sorry, no reply yet.
    Thanks for the followup... just realized that the way to email the dev is through the catalog. Will drop them a line myself and see if I have any better luck. Thx
    Ok. BTW, tried sending Spinbytes a third email yesterday; the message bounced with this explanation:

"Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 <info@spinbytes.com>: invalid address (state 14)."

I've extracted the News Feeds folder from my Touchpad and made an ipk. Installed and tested it on the TP emulator, and it works. I'll wait until we get a reply from Spinbytes, but if we don't hear back from them, I'm tempted to post the ipk.
    taxi and kayphoonstar like this.
    Ok. BTW, tried sending Spinbytes a third email yesterday; the message bounced with this explanation:

"Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 <info@spinbytes.com>: invalid address (state 14)."

I've extracted the News Feeds folder from my Touchpad and made an ipk. Installed and tested it on the TP emulator, and it works. I'll wait until we get a reply from Spinbytes, but if we don't hear back from them, I'm tempted to post the ipk.
    Cool... thanks. I emailed them as well but never heard anything back (not even a bounce). I wonder if the ipk file is already out there somewhere in google-land (since it was a free app to begin with I think). Anyway, thanks again, chris
    Will this app help you scale the pay wall, or are you still cut off after a number of reads per month?
    Finally got a reply from Spinbytes! The email is appsuport@spinbytes.com (extracted from one of the files in the ipk).

Turns out that the New York Times asked Spinbytes to remove the News Feeds app from the catalog. Spinbytes didn't elaborate, so we can only speculate why NYT wanted the app pulled. Maybe it scales the pay wall; maybe NYT wants to retain complete control over how their content is distributed; maybe Apple paid off NYT to pull our app.
    Finally got a reply from Spinbytes! The email is appsuport@spinbytes.com (extracted from one of the files in the ipk).

Turns out that the New York Times asked Spinbytes to remove the News Feeds app from the catalog. Spinbytes didn't elaborate, so we can only speculate why NYT wanted the app pulled. Maybe it scales the pay wall; maybe NYT wants to retain complete control over how their content is distributed; maybe Apple paid off NYT to pull our app.
    That kinda sucks on their part (ny times)... I could see them taking that position once they had an HD version of their own app out but as a subscriber it kinda sucks that they would kill the only alternative in the interim. Thanks again for all the followup alee712.