Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    **PSA**

    I've calmed down and want to retract the shock/awe/horror/"arrogance" from this post, however will leave it whole in its entirety so everyone can throw stones at me.

    **END PSA**

    I'm just in SHOCK at the arrogance of Amazon support. I sent an eMail (using the "Contact Support" link in the app menu).

    Here is my eMail:


    Hello. Trying the app out on a book, and it doesn't seem to start out on the same page as I left it. I close the book at location 115. When I start the app up again, its at 115, however its a different 115.

    I start on 115, and swipe back once, which should take me to 114, but it becomes 104! Swiping forward brings me to 134.

    Reading in portrait orientation with the fancy page turn animation, if that makes a difference to you.

    - Sent from my HP TouchPad
    And here is Amazon's response:

    Hello,

    I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having with the

    I've checked the account and see that your Kindle web OS is not recognized as registered to your account. Please note that the Kindle web OS should be connected to wireless for the first time it is registered to your account. I've checked your account and see that your Kindle application is not connected to internet. Hence I request you to connect your device to the wireless network so that you can sync within the books.

    After you've installed the software, all you have to do is log into your Amazon.com account to register. First, verify that you have a network connection on your mobile device and then launch the Kindle for web OS application. You'll be prompted to log into your Amazon.com account and register Kindle for web OS.

    Please note that, Kindle for webOS is compatible with the HP TouchPad.

    More information about the Kindle application can be found here:

    www.amazon.com/help/kindlewebOS

    And regarding syncing:

    Whispersync automatically synchronizes your bookmarks and your reading location among devices registered to the same Amazon.com account. When you open a Kindle book you are also reading on another device, you are given the choice to go to the furthest page read if you are further ahead on the other device. This ensures that you can easily pick up where you left off regardless of which device you are using.

    Automatic Whispersync is enabled by default, but you can turn off synchronization from the Manage Your Kindle page if you wish to manage it manually.
    To view and change synchronization settings:

    1. Visit the Manage your Kindle page.
    2. Click on the Manage Your Devices section.
    3. Click the "Turn Off" or "Turn On" link.

    If you still are unable to sync, please give us a call so that we can assist you further. You can reach us by phone directly and toll free from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option in the right-hand column of our Kindle Support pages at:

    http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

    When you visit our website and select Contact Us, click on the "Phone" tab, enter your number, and we’ll call you right back.

    Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security before a call is placed and ensures we have your account information ready when we call you. If your country isn’t listed or you’re unable to take advantage of the Contact Us feature, you can call us directly at 1-877-453-4512 or 1-206-922-0844 (if you're calling from outside the U.S.).

    We're happy to help if you need more assistance. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.
    My Kindle "device" is most CERTAINLY registered to my account, as I've bought/sync'd two books. And the fact I mentioned nothing about GETTING books or having problems syncing, this drives me up the wall!!

    Absurd!!! Is this how Amazon treats all of their customers, or just webOS users???
    Last edited by insane42; 07/22/2011 at 01:50 PM.
  2. #2  
    Do yourself a favor and go to your 'manage your kindle' page from your amazon account and click on the contact us link. Have them call you - you'll get a call within seconds and get excellent help. Going back and forth in email will get you nowhere.
  3. #3  
    I agree... there telephone support has been excellent in my experience. They even replaced a broken kindle for me that was technically out of warranty...
  4. #4  
    My wife & I have been Kindle customers since the launch device. We've had nothing but great experiences with their customer service. CALL THEM LIVE. Guess what, you won't be met with button pushes, and you won't get a scripted foreign call. We've... broken three Kindles over the years, two were completely our fault, and they have replaced them all with virtually no questions asked. All this in about three 5-10 minute phone calls, with no hassle whatsoever.

    What I'm saying is, I don't see the arrogance you do in that response. It's nearly impossible to troubleshoot an issue like yours over email, so they have to list what they can see. Again, call them. You will not be disappointed.
  5.    #5  
    The problem with calling them (and I will this evening), is that it's clearly a bug in the software. Written information goes MUCH further with bugs than otherwise. I'm certain they won't be able to "fix" my problem over the phone. While there's always a possibility I'm just not doing something right, the webOS help was literally non-existant when I was working with the app. It would take me to the Amazon page, and when I would tap around to read more information (like how to bring back up the controls), I would just get blank pages or iOS info.

    All I expected was some questions about exactly what I was doing and on which book, and some kind of note that the problem was being forwarded to the development group to address. NOT a complete disregard of the eMail.

    The whole Kindle experience on the TouchPad has me soured on Kindle =/

    I'll post back after I call them tonight, in the spirit of keeping the thread complete.
  6. #6  
    The Kindle app is working fine for me (and many others). Something probably went wrong with the registration and they can clear it up for you if you call them. I saw nothing 'arrogant' about their response to you.
  7. #7  
    It's obvious that you've got this all figured out, so why even bother contacting them?
    So he offers you suggestions on how to fix the problem, and you get furious and call him arrogant? What more could you want from support?

    I work in tech support. When I get a problem report, like yours, I look at common issues that would result in your error, and offer those solutions. Just because it's not the answer you were looking for doesn't mean they are arrogant or rude.

    Again, if you think you have it all figured out, don't try to get support.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    It's obvious that you've got this all figured out, so why even bother contacting them?
    So he offers you suggestions on how to fix the problem, and you get furious and call him arrogant? What more could you want from support?

    I work in tech support. When I get a problem report, like yours, I look at common issues that would result in your error, and offer those solutions. Just because it's not the answer you were looking for doesn't mean they are arrogant or rude.

    Again, if you think you have it all figured out, don't try to get support.
    Why am I "furious" at him? Because his response had NOTHING to do with the problem.

    How would "the page doesn't restart in the same location" have anything to do with syncing books? If I'm on any page at all, it's blatantly obvious I've sync'd the book.

    And nowhere did I say I "had it all figured out". Being in tech support, you're starting to sound like them... which is the attitude that everybody contacting you is a complete moron.

    "My car won't start."
    "OK sir, make sure you made your last payment. Thanks for contacting support."
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    How would "the page doesn't restart in the same location" have anything to do with syncing books? If I'm on any page at all, it's blatantly obvious I've sync'd the book.

    Sounds like it has *everything* to do with your syncing. It's syncing...but incorrectly. Why are their solutions wrong? Basically, reboot, or re-register is a reasonable response.
  10.    #10  
    .
    Last edited by insane42; 07/22/2011 at 01:26 PM.
  11. #11  
    I think you should reconsider who is the one being 'arrogant'. Seems to me, it's you.
    He looked in his system, saw that the device wasn't registered and gave you an unhelpful answer for your exact situation. Arrogant? No. Helpful for your exact case? No. An indication of an entry support person? Yes. Worthy of foaming at the mouth about? Definitely not.
    Would you get the help you needed if you actually *talked* to support? Certainly.
    Email is a horrible way to get real support, and considering Amazon will call you within seconds, it's a no-brainer which to choose.
  12. NitOxYs's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Why am I "furious" at him? Because his response had NOTHING to do with the problem.

    How would "the page doesn't restart in the same location" have anything to do with syncing books? If I'm on any page at all, it's blatantly obvious I've sync'd the book.

    And nowhere did I say I "had it all figured out". Being in tech support, you're starting to sound like them... which is the attitude that everybody contacting you is a complete moron.

    "My car won't start."
    "OK sir, make sure you made your last payment. Thanks for contacting support."
    Did you try it? Being arrogant and thinking that this isn't the resolution is your ego talking. I've been there before, and it ended up being the resolution they initially said. I'm willing to admit it. As you saw in previous posts, not everyone is having the same issue as you. The app may or may not sync using that software, and it may sync pages via it. Did you write the software? Pretty sure you didn't. Therefore try the resolution.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Sounds like it has *everything* to do with your syncing. It's syncing...but incorrectly. Why are their solutions wrong? Basically, reboot, or re-register is a reasonable response.
    I would not have been able to even sync a book if any of the things in their response were the case.

    The pages just "shift".

    Top of location 115 starts out with "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

    Close the app and immediately reopen it. Now, the top of location 115 starts out with "random sentence. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

    How is that an account/syncing problem?
  14. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #14  
    I dont see any "arrogance" in their response. I agree that his solution has nothing to do with your problem, but I'd be pretty shocked if they had a "fix" for your issue when the product has only been out for a few days. Calling tech support rarely gets your problem solved on the first contact. Relax a little and work "with" support and not against them. Reply back saying you did his steps but the problem still exists. PS... my kindle app does the same weird page numbering thing...
  15. NitOxYs's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    I would not have been able to even sync a book if any of the things in their response were the case.

    The pages just "shift".

    Top of location 115 starts out with "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

    Close the app and immediately reopen it. Now, the top of location 115 starts out with "random sentence. The quick brown fox jumps..."

    How is that an account/syncing problem?
    It probably syncs to the cloud. Therefore if you wanted to read it on another device it goes back to the page. Perhaps it's using stale data or the server isn't properly pointing it to the right place. It could be a profile issue. They give you initial steps first then will attempt to fix it.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by skadaddle View Post
    I think you should reconsider who is the one being 'arrogant'. Seems to me, it's you.
    He looked in his system, saw that the device wasn't registered and gave you an unhelpful answer for your exact situation. Arrogant? No. Helpful for your exact case? No. An indication of an entry support person? Yes. Worthy of foaming at the mouth about? Definitely not.
    Would you get the help you needed if you actually *talked* to support? Certainly.
    Email is a horrible way to get real support, and considering Amazon will call you within seconds, it's a no-brainer which to choose.
    How could it have not been registered? How do I buy, download/sync, start reading a book with an unregistered device?

    I WILL atually *talk* with them tonight, but it just seems like I got a canned "we'll send this to everybody" eMail without regard for the issue presented.
  17. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #17  
    Do page numbers correspond to the actual page number in the printed book? (if I make the font super big is it now a 300page book instead of 200)
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    It probably syncs to the cloud. Therefore if you wanted to read it on another device it goes back to the page. Perhaps it's using stale data or the server isn't properly pointing it to the right place. It could be a profile issue. They give you initial steps first then will attempt to fix it.
    The location does sync, which is actually a cool feature of the Kindle software.

    The location that I was at remains correct, but the text of the book is changing.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    Do page numbers correspond to the actual page number in the printed book? (if I make the font super big is it now a 300page book instead of 200)
    No, they don't, which is a bit confusing to me. I tried to look through the help files, but the night it was released, they all came up blank.
  20. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #20  
    when i change pages it goes from 788 to 798 to 809. Maybe its not really "page numbers" it does call them "locations"???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions