Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    No, they don't, which is a bit confusing to me. I tried to look through the help files, but the night it was released, they all came up blank.
    Try removing the app, and re-logging into the account.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    I dont see any "arrogance" in their response. I agree that his solution has nothing to do with your problem, but I'd be pretty shocked if they had a "fix" for your issue when the product has only been out for a few days. Calling tech support rarely gets your problem solved on the first contact. Relax a little and work "with" support and not against them. Reply back saying you did his steps but the problem still exists. PS... my kindle app does the same weird page numbering thing...
    I'm relaxed... now... Something as simple as being back on the same page you left it seemed a no brainer.

Are you guys saying that you are in the middle of a book, close the app, re-open it, and the book is always on the exact same page as before (with the right content)?

Do you guys have Whispersync on or off?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Try removing the app, and re-logging into the account.
    That's the first I'll try tonight, then call them if it still doesn't work right.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    location 810, 811, 812, 813 and 814 all refer to the same "page" (i clicked on the book icon, choose location and typed in the "location numbers")
    Unless it says page number (not sure if the webos app supports it yet - and even then it's only some books that have the additional page number metadata available) then it's the location which is a font-size independent position within the book. You can find tons of threads about them all over the web (kindleboards.com for eg). This isn't a good place to discuss them.
  6.    #26  
    All -

Thank you for your responses. I fully plan to report back after I've re-installed/called support. If it is indeed a Whispersync thing or an account issue, I will not hesitate to say so, and then rethink my reactions before I act on them.

I promise I'm not normally this much of a PITA, but this just irked me for some reason.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    OK... so maybe this is your issue. I noticed during my tests that while i had a page open, AND the "scroll bar" shown... if i swiped up to put the app in card few, it also registered a "tap" on the scroll bar that changed the location. If i didnt happen to notice that, I would have opened it back up onto a different page (and woulda been pised) check it out....
    Don't stress much more right now. Serious, just wait until you can call and explain it. They may not have all the answers if it's a bug, but the live rep will at least be able to relay your detailed information & keep in contact with you.

I have plenty of issues with CS reps, but there isn't a company on Earth that I would recommend more on the merits of CS than Amazon. I'll post a 4th case we had....in addition to the 3 units we had that were broken or broke.

My wife's Kindle froze. In fact, it wouldn't do anything...full charges, resets, etc. Nothing worked. We were out of warranty. The rep said it could be the unit, and that it could be history. It would have cost us around $150 to replace (if I remember right). Instead of dwelling on that possibility, the CS rep then said, BUT...it may just be a bad battery. Let me ship you a battery, we'll put a $10 hold on your card (the cost of the battery). If you return it, we will remove the hold & delete the charge. If the battery works, we'll transact the $10 & call it a deal.

In addition to that, they offered to ship a Kindle as well, along with the battery, so she wouldn't have to wait for shipping if the battery didn't work. She declined (I would have said ship it). Guess what, the battery worked....and in the case of this battery situation, and the 3 that we had to ship back, we had new hardware within 1 shipping day. That's 3 Kindle replacements & a Kindle battery over the last several years, all shipped & delivered within one day of our CS call. THIS is why I have trouble believing that anyone is ignoring your problem with some sort of arrogance (not to say there aren't bad CS reps in every company). It's also why I recommend strongly that you work with them live. Anyway, thought I'd share. Cheers.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    OK... so maybe this is your issue. I noticed during my tests that while i had a page open, AND the "scroll bar" shown... if i swiped up to put the app in card few, it also registered a "tap" on the scroll bar that changed the location. If i didnt happen to notice that, I would have opened it back up onto a different page (and woulda been pised) check it out....
    I've noticed that a lot, especially in web pages. In this case, I don't think that's the culprit.

When I open it back up, it's in the right "location", bu the first words on the page are shifted by 3 or for words. If I go one "page" back, then one "page" forward, it's in some totally random place like 20+ locations ahead.
  10.    #30  
    OK, I promised I'd post an update, so here it is.

I deactivated the TP and reactivated it. The book showed as archived, so I tapped it and it downloaded. After messing around for a while, it looks like the problem I was having was possibly a corrupt book. When I tried to look at the cover (from within the book) last night, nothing would show for either book. Tonight, the covers are there. It now seems to be keeping my place between sessions as well.

I am embarrassed by my post, and apologize to Amazon and this community for my overreaction.
    correct - those are location numbers. Basically the whole document is mapped by number so the longer the book the more locations. Locations will stay the same no matter how small or how large you make the font so I actually like them. The info on the Amazon Kindle book page will indicated if the page numbers are available and which edition of the pb they have used (as it will make a difference if looking at hardback, trade or mass market pb,etc).
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    rofl. God I hate customers. I feel sorry for customer support
    Its a BOOK. If its not working on the kindle, take a deep breath. Then go down to your bookstore and buy hard copy. Better yet, get it used for half the price. Distributors love electronic because it stops you from reselling your copy or loaning it to a friend. Now, there's an idea-oh wait Ben Franklin already thought of it.
    Bah - I haven't bought a physical novel in at least 3 years - nor will I buy any more. I can't stand reading them after getting used to reading my novels electronically.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've send an email to the amazon support, to know when the Kindle app will be available for French user... and I get almost the same answer... And it doesn't help me at all.

"Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience, Kindle for webOS is a free application that lets you access Kindle content on your webOS powered HP TouchPad -- no Kindle required.

Amazon's wireless functionality automatically synchronizes your last page read so you can easily switch between Kindle devices and Kindle reading applications to pick up reading from where you last left off.

Kindle for webOS is compatible with the HP TouchPad.

Search for “Kindle” within the HP App Catalog to download the free app to your device.

To install the Kindle for webOS application:

1. Tap the HP App Catalog icon on the home screen of your HP TouchPad.
    2. Search for "Kindle" or find it in the alphabetical list of applications.
    3. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

When your installation is complete, simply tap the Kindle icon on your device to start accessing or building your Kindle library.

More information about the Kindle application can be found here:

Amazon.com Help: Kindle for webOS

To access your Kindle Library on your HP TouchPad, you'll need to log in and register with your Amazon.com account.

.../...
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrapin View Post
    I've send an email to the amazon support, to know when the Kindle app will be available for French user... and I get almost the same answer... And it doesn't help me at all.
    There. My rant is not completely unfounded.
    Amazon could do a better job of helping people understand that locations are not pages. The locations system does work very well (allowing multiple different fonts and page layouts) but it can be frustrating for new users if you expect a page to be a page. I think this was 90% of the OP frustration.

Near as I can tell, a location is like the beginning of a paragraph, but that's not always the case.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12