Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Is anyone experiencing problems downloading and using NDrive 11 on their Veer?
    I purchased it July 1 and haven't been able to use it since!
    The app from the Catalog downloaded quickly however the maps, which seem to come directly from NDrive's servers, have been a real nightmare to download. Over a period of 3 days with multiple hang ups, restarts and server error messages I finally got what appeared to be a complete US database. Still excited about the app after this tedious process I launched NDrive only to find superimposed icons in some menu pages and an incorrect rendering of my home address.
    Now I'm feeling cheated...
    One unanswered email to App Catalog support and 2 to NDrive with no refund or solution in sight, now that IS worth 50 bucks now isn't it.
    Hope others have better luck.
    On a positive note the diminutive Veer is a outstanding phone.
    EA

Veer
    I had a lot of trouble getting the maps downloaded to my Veer too, but it works beautifully now. You can delete and redownload the maps if you need too I believe (I know that would suck, but I had a different issue and had to webos doctor my Veer halfway through them downloading the first time. I feel your pain). Mine works flawlessly now. Massive improvement over the Sprint Nav I had on my Pre- and over the basically identical at&t nav built into my Veer.

The gps fix is basically instant, creating routes is pretty close to instant too, and it tracks better. Also tracks speed for you and has an "adventure mode" setting that I really want to try out. I hope you get yours working because you will love it, well worth the money. IMHO
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukehale View Post
    I had a lot of trouble getting the maps downloaded to my Veer too, but it works beautifully now. You can delete and redownload the maps if you need too I believe (I know that would suck, but I had a different issue and had to webos doctor my Veer halfway through them downloading the first time. I feel your pain). Mine works flawlessly now. Massive improvement over the Sprint Nav I had on my Pre- and over the basically identical at&t nav built into my Veer.

The gps fix is basically instant, creating routes is pretty close to instant too, and it tracks better. Also tracks speed for you and has an "adventure mode" setting that I really want to try out. I hope you get yours working because you will love it, well worth the money. IMHO
    Thanks for the info. It does look like a nifty app but the path to get it working almost warrants that they pay us to use it !!!
    I might try again if I don't hear from NDrive. They needed my IMEI to home in on the download problems.
    EA

Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by epajet View Post
    Thanks for the info. It does look like a nifty app but the path to get it working almost warrants that they pay us to use it !!!
    I might try again if I don't hear from NDrive. They needed my IMEI to home in on the download problems.
    Yea it really was a pain. Though to be fair to NDrive , most apps don't have to support downloading 2.3 gigs of data directly to a phone in order to be fully installed.

I really think they should have the option to download it on your PC and transfer the map files over to the Veer. That might have made it easier too. Good thing we have webOS though, because if I hadn't been able to run it in the background and keep running my phone, I would definitely have given up. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yea it really was a pain. Though to be fair to NDrive , most apps don't have to support downloading 2.3 gigs of data directly to a phone in order to be fully installed.

I really think they should have the option to download it on your PC and transfer the map files over to the Veer. That might have made it easier too. Good thing we have webOS though, because if I hadn't been able to run it in the background and keep running my phone, I would definitely have given up. Good luck.
    I agree a side loading option would have been sweet. They have it for Android, IOS and Symbian, why not WebOS?!?

Do you like the NDrive app? Is it running correctly on your Veer?
    EA

Veer
    Hey epajet
    I’m part of NDrive Team, i would like you to know that we are currently working on optimizing the screen resolution of NDrive for Veer, we are also adding a number of great futures and bug fixes, our update will be coming shortly

About the map download issues, we have been changing servers this month and that may have been the reason why you faced problems downloading the maps but soon we will have an improved download service

--------------------------
    NDrive, Powered by you
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDrive View Post
    Hey epajet
    I’m part of NDrive Team, i would like you to know that we are currently working on optimizing the screen resolution of NDrive for Veer, we are also adding a number of great futures and bug fixes, our update will be coming shortly

About the map download issues, we have been changing servers this month and that may have been the reason why you faced problems downloading the maps but soon we will have an improved download service

--------------------------
    NDrive, Powered by you
    Thanks for your reply NDrive Team member, and whilst I am really glad that soon I will be able to use this app I am a little concerned with this response.
    Is support@ndrive now conducted on PreCentral? I sent the requested info last week and nada, not a peep from NDrive. So should I check every month for an update and cross my fingers that your servers are up to speed when I try yet again to download those blasted maps. Why don't you have a large disclaimer on your website stating that $50 does not guarantee you a functioning app just a chance at using what seems like pretty good software. If the initial purchase experience is this bad, why would I want to buy anything else from NDrive?
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Just tried it again. Managed to download the app without trouble but the maps WILL not download. Returned a server error message after just 11MB of data.
    I think I just want my money back thank you...
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I've been using nDrive for Veer for over a month now (before on a Plus), and it's great.
    Current version never fails me, so looking forward to the next.
    Which maps do you have? Easy download on the Veer?
    EA

Veer
    I have the UK maps on the pre2..it took a while for me to get the maps..and the directions the maps give..tend to be awful from getting me to places, google nav puts it to shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by epajet View Post
    Just tried it again. Managed to download the app without trouble but the maps WILL not download. Returned a server error message after just 11MB of data.
    I think I just want my money back thank you...
    Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble :/. I think for you it probably would be better to get your money back and perhaps wait a little while, maybe even for the update. I had trouble, but not near what you are having. I wonder why it's so much worse for you than the rest of us? No fun.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble :/. I think for you it probably would be better to get your money back and perhaps wait a little while, maybe even for the update. I had trouble, but not near what you are having. I wonder why it's so much worse for you than the rest of us? No fun.
    Thanks. Maybe the Veer and NDrive server updates will help at some point. Reading some of the other reviews in other countries seem to show a lot of trouble lately and no responses from NDrive support. Somewhat ominous I think. The other problem is that there is no way to get your money back. NDrive is mute, except for the forum guy who basically admits they are having issues, and Palm/HP who pass the buck. For that I must admit I do miss the Android store.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Western-Europe. Roughly 3 GB. 1MB/s download.
    Try again and make a screenshot of the server error message.

EA?
    I wish for that kind of speed on any WiFi network around here!
    EA

Veer
    But there is some longitude error in the UK, due to a webos bug right?
    Yes, but not where I travel most of the time. The fix is due out shortly.
    I had no trouble downloading UK & Ireland maps. As for the navigation routes, i've run it side by side with my Garmin Zumo and there is not much difference.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Still you're not being specific as to the error you're getting.
    Should be easy to write down right?
    I think my first post was pretty specific. A simple 'server error' message and multiple hangups on the NDrive download screen. No numbers, just a message.
    Now, do you have the answer then?
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yes I do.

LOL - let me check something. I have gotten some hangups in the past after separate maps were downloaded but nothing serious.
    E.g. when I download Western Europe, the download will stop after each region map download.
    I like the idea of a solution.
    The server error is quite random. I have tried several different wifi networks and all at some point return this error message after varying amounts of downloaded data. I even got what I thought was a complete download once. To do this I had to restart the phone after a hang up or error and relaunch the app and map download. Each time a little more data was accumulated and eventually the whole 2.3GB was on my phone. It didn't really work well though, overlapped menus and an incorrect rendering of my home address. Shame really.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Perhaps aborted downloads are part of the problem. I'm not saying they are but it could be.

Start Internalz and look under:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

There should be an ndrive folder there, and in that folder a 'maps' folder.

I also posted a link to your 'complaint' in the nDrive beta forum.
    Let's see if that helps.
    I think you are exactly right. If I were to get an uninterrupted download I think it would work.
    Thanks for your input and for posting on NDrive beta.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Not sure if I was clear enough. What I meant was that perhaps download of map files could not be continued due to open file handles on aborted downloads.
    A way to check that would be to look in the maps folder using Internalze and deleting all downloaded files, obviously after closing nDrive. Then, restart the download.
    I understand. There is indeed an NDrive folder on the Veer. I have looked at it and deleted it but that doesn't make any difference to subsequent downloads. Gave it another go just a few minutes ago and after 14MB and later 18MB of data I got this: 'An error occurred during communication with the server'. It seems like NDrive servers are baulking at something! I wish they would respond. I can't see them doing too well in the US with this kind of CS.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'll delete my maps and test.

EDIT: downloading at 1 MB/s.
    Thanks for going to all that trouble.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Perhaps aborted downloads are part of the problem. I'm not saying they are but it could be.

Start Internalz and look under:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

There should be an ndrive folder there, and in that folder a 'maps' folder.

I also posted a link to your 'complaint' in the nDrive beta forum.
    Let's see if that helps.
    Alright.
    I got Internalz, the straight USB connection doesn't go deep enough, and couldn't find a /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ file. This got me thinking that perhaps the previous downloads had not initialized correctly and failed to create the appropriate file for the maps. So then I wondered what I might have been doing differently and bingo.
    The US package includes Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands as separate files. Also I added US alerts somewhere during all these attempts. Well it seems that by deselecting PRPRPR &$amp$; $US$ $VI$ ($to$ $save$ $valuable$ $space$ $on$ $my$ $Veer$) $the$ $download$ $process$ $is$ $missing$ $some$ $vital$ $data$ $or$ $file$ $and$ $eventually$ $hangs$ $up$. $So$ $far$ $I$ $am$ $at$ $8$% $on$ $a$ $slow$ $network$ $but$ $I$ $did$ $see$ $tags$, $in$ $the$ $top$ $header$, $for$ $files$ $that$ $I$ $had$ $not$ $noticed$ $before$. $At$ $last$, $and$ $no$ $thanks$ $to$ $NDrive$!
    However many thanks to you for getting me on the right track!
    Cheers to everyone else for their input too.
    EA

Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast