Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been trying out NDrive to replace the ATT nav software, and I gotta say, it is an extremely impressive app. Many more options and features than the native Sprint/ATT nav apps. Just fantastic. It's true that the map downloads take a while and can get frequently interrupted. I recommend WiFi. Once you've got everything in place, you're golden. The only feature I'd like it for the app to calculate ETA. As far as I can tell, it gives you the current time and and time to destination, but it doesn't crunch those two numbers to give you a simple readout of arrival time.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm running it on a Veer.
    Last edited by grappler; 09/11/2011 at 11:58 PM.
    I decided to give NDrive a try on my unlocked Veer (on T-Mobile) and while I downloaded the maps without any issues over WiFi, NDrive itself crashes almost immediately at startup if I'm not connected to Wifi. I find that quite... strange.

If I'm connected to Wifi then the program works as expected. If I am off of Wifi then the app just crashes right away. I've yet to get a chance to see if it'll actually navigate if I start it up from WiFi, get the directions, then drive out of range; so I'm not sure what will happen then. All I know is that if I start it up without Wifi, it'll just crash.
    I haven't had any problem downloading the maps (on Verizon FIOS broadband), but the program just doesn't work on my phone!

@ Foxeh I've been having the exact same problem you describe on my VZW Pre2 w/webOS 2.1 from the day I bought NDrive. If my phone is connected to fast wifi network, the program works. If I'm on the road & connected to my cellular provider data network (which is where we need it to work), the program launches, loads for 1-2 seconds, then closes on it's own (which is apparently when it tries to use the data network).

I've tried the other tests you describe & here's what happens:
    1) start program when connected to wifi & it will remain running after you start navigating (even when you disconnect from wifi & connect to 3g)
    2) close ALL data connections, program will launch & stay running
    3) close data connections (as above), launch program, then enable the 3g data network after navigating, NDrive will close as soon as the program uses the data network
    4) Foursquare integration doesn't work, the program says there is a "communication error" and says to enable a data connection, even if they are enabled & other web programs work fine
    5) I've also found a fair number of these complaints from people in other countries, but I haven't found any resolution. It appears NDrive is aware of this problem but hasn't found a fix.

It appears there is either a data communication problem with NDrive on some versions of webOS, or there is a licensing problem (i.e. the program calls home to authenticate?) and then closes if it doesn't get a fast enough response. I've scoured the logs and there is no obvious reason logged on my phone as to why it's closing the program.

@ NDrive, since we know you have a representative on these forums, can you help troubleshoot these problems? I'm sure all us forum members would appreciate it since we need a good independent GPS NAV program. I've contacted your tech support a few times and all they've said is they're looking into it but they CLOSED my support ticket. Why would they close my support ticket when nothing has been done to solve the problem??? Also I've started asking for a refund, and NDrive support hasn't replied to any further troubleshooting, logs, or refund requests I've made.

NDrive, the ball is in your court. Please help work with us to troubleshoot or please start issuing refunds to customers when the program doesn't work.
    Yikes! Thanks for the verification, 4wheels. Currently the Veer is on webOS 2.1.2, so that seems to be our only common denominator.

I just spent $25 on this app. I realize that's half price, but I was still kind of hoping it would work. WebOS may not be a priority for them so I'll see about contacting them as well. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Same complaints. I want a refund after having this program for less than 24 hours. It does not work. Has anybody successfully got a refund ?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Update: If I turn off the data connection and launch N Drive, it works. Very inconvenient, but does work. Seems like a nice Nav system though.
    Correct, same as I'd posted it'll work if you turn off ALL data connections, but soon as you turn the cellular data network back on it'll close. Only way I found to keep it running on a data network was to connect the phone to wifi. But Foursquare integration & the local offers don't work at all from my testing. Great to have a smartphone that can't be used when you're using NAV!

NDrive told me to talk to HP for a refund since HP runs the app store & that's who we purchased it from & then they closed my trouble ticket again. I've contacted NDrive about 5 times and only rec'd 2 responses, each time their response was not helpful in any way nor did they make any attempt to solve the problem and they still closed the trouble ticket. I also sent a PM to the NDrive employee who's on this forum & have not rec'd any response from him. I also submitted an app problem report to HP & asked for a refund & rec'd no response from anyone.

Honestly, from the various complaints I found from other people, not a single one said that NDrive helped them get the program working or got a refund, and most of those posts are a few months old. I think we're getting screwed by NDrive here...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    NDrive is non responsive to technical issues and will pass the refund 'hot potato' on to the App Catalog. It's a catch 22: NDrive says they don't do billing and HP says quite clearly that they don't issue refunds. I tried the Mastercard angle but they were just as bad. NO one wants to deal with bad software purchases! You bought it you're stuck with it, seems to be the online standard right now. The only thing I do differently now is to charge to either my Amex (outstanding customer service and refunds) or directly to my ATT account whom are also more responsive.
    But I agree NDrive, never again. Their product might be useful to some but their ethics suck. Take a customer's money and then stonewall them. Sweet.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    EA

Veer
    That sucks, but I guess we're all getting the same BS "no-answer answers" from NDrive & HP. I'm tempted to get a Droid Bionic just to get away from these GPS issues as nav is one of the main reasons I use smartphones.

Any lawyers on this forum who want to help push the NDrive and/or HP response?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I've had a few problems, but recent results are encouraging. I recently switched to a Pre 2 running WebOS 2.1 on VZW. It took a few attempts to get an uninterrupted download of maps, but hey, they're huge. No GPS lock at first, though - didn't work. It wouldn't get a GPS fix.

As far as I can tell, it isn't an nDrive problem, though. Even though the GPS on a VZW Pre 2 isn't supposed to be locked down, I could not get a GPS fix even using the Device Info | Interactive Tests | GPS test.

VZW tested it and sent me another (unfortunately, certified but not brand new) Pre 2 - same problem. To troubleshoot, they temporarily turned on VZ Navigator and, suspiciously, that always acheived a GPS lock. I had them turn VZ Navigator back off.

Just recently, after reading some posts and with lots of trial and error, I have hit upon a combination that allowed me to get a lock in nDrive and successfully navigate a couple of times:

1. Go into Location Services, Select Locate Me Using... in the app menu, turn on both GPS and Google Location Services (the latter seems to help it acheive a quicker initial position fix).
    2. Run the GPS Fix app (available from the App Catalog), turn it on and have it ping the GPS at 20-minute intervals. In the app menu, select Attempt Accuracy.
    3. Run nDrive.

This is a bit tedious, and I'd still like to have more successes with it before I declare the problem resolved. However, so far, it seems to work.
    US Robotics Palm Pilot Pro>Upgrade to Palm Pilot III> Palm V>Upgraded to 8MB>Tungsten T>Treo 650>Treo 755p>Palm Pre>Touchpad & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    The only feature I'd like it for the app to calculate ETA. As far as I can tell, it gives you the current time and and time to destination, but it doesn't crunch those two numbers to give you a simple readout of arrival time.
    Have you tried tapping on the ETE (estimate time enroute)? It toggles between different data. According to the manual, one of the items you can toggle to is ETA. Haven't yet payed enough attention to see if I am getting an accurate ETA from that.
    US Robotics Palm Pilot Pro>Upgrade to Palm Pilot III> Palm V>Upgraded to 8MB>Tungsten T>Treo 650>Treo 755p>Palm Pre>Touchpad & Pre 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12