Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    I have created a TouchStone Only app called "Time Weather Stock"

Please look at this forum link to see the promo codes

Here is the Description of the app from the App Catalog.

Time Weather Stock, uses exhibition mode to display the current time, Stock Quote (of your Choice), and the current weather conditions based on your phones GPS location. When using your Touchstone Charger (Exhibition Mode) you view this information so you can watch your favorite company’s stock price. While stuck inside working you can easily see how nice it is outside. Stock information is provided by Yahoo and is delayed by 20 minutes. The Stock price will update every 2 minutes. Weather information is provided by Weather Bug, and is updated every 15 minutes.

I am working on converting this to work for the TouchPad. I hope to have this out in next couple of weeks. It will be my first Webos 3.0 app so I have to learn that.

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...roup.mydisplay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ohallord; 07/21/2011 at 07:18 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I submitted a new version today. Not sure when it will come out though. It might take a couple of days to go through the review process.

Version 1.0.1
    Updated
    * Changed Temp font to white instead of black based on reviews.
    * Changed the stock refresh from every 2 minutes to every 10 seconds.
    Bug Fix
    * Fixed issue with stock price displaying erroneous values.

Please leave comments and feed back. I really need this to help improve the app.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think what your app lacks (and this is a recurring theme in the webOS catalog) is simply some optical polish and deeper functionality. Your app, while nicely functional, is plain to say the least... and that is both in its features and its looks.

Here's a screenshot of a completely random but similarly featured app for another platform, and while that app also has more features it's obvious at first sight which app a majority of people would choose simply because of its presentation.

Make this app prettier, and you'll have made a huge step forward.

As for functionalities I'd like to see, I'd have no problem forking over a few bucks if this app displayed additional weather information like a temperature trend curve, rain probability graph or even a weather radar (Exhibition apps CAN be interacted with. Make use of that. Most Exhibition apps are pretty much static; I think dynamic and interactive Exhibition apps can have a great deal to offer us.)

I really don't mean to sound harsh, I just want to give my opinion to you straight. Thanks for developing an Exhibition app, there aren't enough out yet - and this seems to have some potential.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    I'm inclined to agree with GSH above, using a gradient background or even a darker bitmap would go a long way to making the screen less "plain" looking. Adding a feature for user selectable backgrounds would add just that much more functionality to the app. Good work so far and of course, consider applying the TPad compatibility to it if you can.
  5.    #5  
    I appreciate the comments.

The app was meant to be a extremely simple app. I wanted to make something that I could see while I was at my desk during work hours. But I agree the aesthetics are plain/simple, The bad part I am not a UI person and it kills me.

I am trying to get the tap to work, meaning that if you tap the screen it will do different things. And for some unknown reason it is not working properly. Which really irritates me. This would allow me to show maybe the radar or a 5 day forecast. Once I figure out why it is not working I will be happier.

But for the back ground I will see what other colours will work and look better.

As far as the TP version, I am learning my way through Enyo and it is a big adjustment as they change it dramatically. The way the UI works is a lot different than MOJO. And since I am not a UI guy it is taking me longer than I thought.

So hang in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohallord View Post
    I appreciate the comments.

The app was meant to be a extremely simple app. I wanted to make something that I could see while I was at my desk during work hours. But I agree the aesthetics are plain/simple, The bad part I am not a UI person and it kills me.

I am trying to get the tap to work, meaning that if you tap the screen it will do different things. And for some unknown reason it is not working properly. Which really irritates me. This would allow me to show maybe the radar or a 5 day forecast. Once I figure out why it is not working I will be happier.

But for the back ground I will see what other colours will work and look better.

As far as the TP version, I am learning my way through Enyo and it is a big adjustment as they change it dramatically. The way the UI works is a lot different than MOJO. And since I am not a UI guy it is taking me longer than I thought.

So hang in there.
    thanks keep working
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Cool thanks.

I will let you know when I have updates.
  8.    #8  
    [QUOTE]

(Exhibition apps CAN be interacted with. Make use of that. Most Exhibition apps are pretty much static; I think dynamic and interactive Exhibition apps can have a great deal to offer us.)

[\QUOTE]

I agree with that. I am really trying to figure out why I am having difficulties getting my tap feature to work properly or at all.

But that is absolutely true I want to add stuff to make this a lot more interactive if I can.
  9.    #9  

(Exhibition apps CAN be interacted with. Make use of that. Most Exhibition apps are pretty much static; I think dynamic and interactive Exhibition apps can have a great deal to offer us.)
    I agree with that. I am really trying to figure out why I am having difficulties getting my tap feature to work properly or at all.

But that is absolutely true I want to add stuff to make this a lot more interactive if I can.