webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > KalemSoft Media Player for TouchPad
KalemSoft Media Player for TouchPad
Like Tree128Likes

Old 07/21/2011, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

KalemSoft Media Player has just been released for the TouchPad on the App Catalogue ;-)

This is a very good app to watch videos with a wide variety of codec support (including .avi divx/xvid, etc...)

At least .avi files won't need to be converted to .mp4 to work on the TP and with this app we are able to see file names (not the case in HP's photos/video app)
damienh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kchan283, k4ever, metrotiger and 1 others like this.
Old 07/21/2011, 06:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have some version on my TouchPad that looks like it was resized from the phone version. It won't run an M4v file. Will yours?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

This version seems to be TP optimized and has just been released today. I haven't tried with m4v files. Looks ok but the interface could benefit from some polishing (thumbnail preview / auto indexing...)
damienh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

should the touchpad version be able to stream over 3g using free tether?
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

This may be just what I was waiting for, but before dropping $7 can someone verify that it plays most bittorented .avi files? (xvid/dvix/mkv)

Most importantly, can it do it locally or only stream from it's server?
Beanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
This may be just what I was waiting for, but before dropping $7 can someone verify that it plays most bittorented .avi files? (xvid/dvix/mkv)

Most importantly, can it do it locally or only stream from it's server?
"It can play audio/video content stored locally on device ... [for streaming content] the content is streamed ... without [any] relay server in the middle"
Siah1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I really wish this was DLNA compliant, I don't really want to install more software to stream stuff when the built in ability already exists. Also, there are some devices like NAS's that have DLNA streaming built in but where you can't install anything on them.
megaman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: k4ever
Old 07/21/2011, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok so next question: Can it play videos stored on box.net?
Beanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can someone here help me with this port forwarding? I had a hell of a time setting up uTorrent Remote for my Pre....and it was some months ago as well. I have a D-Link DIR-615 router, I have the Streamer client set up and the app paid for and launched. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I keep getting hung out to dry.
Old 07/21/2011, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Can someone here help me with this port forwarding? I had a hell of a time setting up uTorrent Remote for my Pre....and it was some months ago as well. I have a D-Link DIR-615 router, I have the Streamer client set up and the app paid for and launched. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I keep getting hung out to dry.
i didnt have to do anything on my server.

download software,
run setup,
create account
do the set up for streaming and folders
after folders, the app finally runs and you should be able to connect once you input the same account info on the tp.

i was able to play 2/3 files that i copied over.

i was able to stream all the files i tried, even the file that would show up locally.

the one file that didnt even show up in the listings, even though i copied it over and was able to play it on my pc from the tp, was a 2gig+ avi file.

i havent tested mkv files, apparently dont have any yet.

i too wish i didnt have to install yet another media streamer (this is the 3rd on the laptop), but would dnla work out side of the network?
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gudurusanthoshkumar
Old 07/21/2011, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman821 View Post
I really wish this was DLNA compliant, I don't really want to install more software to stream stuff when the built in ability already exists. Also, there are some devices like NAS's that have DLNA streaming built in but where you can't install anything on them.
Would also prefer DLNA or uPNP support since I use mostly Mac computers and they don't have a server client for anything besides Windows.

Either way, it worked pretty well on my Pre with little effort on my part and the new TP interface also looks real clean. Also like the ability to play and transcode anything or almost anything. Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
i was able to stream all the files i tried, even the file that would show up locally.

the one file that didnt even show up in the listings, even though i copied it over and was able to play it on my pc from the tp, was a 2gig+ avi file.

i havent tested mkv files, apparently dont have any yet.

i too wish i didnt have to install yet another media streamer (this is the 3rd on the laptop), but would dnla work out side of the network?
DLNA works over WAN and is supported on a network setup to handle Port Forwarding and proper communication on the outside. My ZyXEL NSA221 has built-in Dynamic-DNS support to make this option easier and map external domain names to internal resources and NAS.

Please also note, I referenced my ZyXEL NSA221 NAS and this unit has some flaws and it should only be purchased at significant discount like I bought it or replaced with something newer and faster. Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

56 minutes on the phone with D-Link and I'm getting nothing accomplished. Don't know if I can stay up much longer.

Ok I got it working on my home wifi finally...now to see if it'll work via freeTether

I don't know why I can't get my brain around port forwarding, but it's never been a strong suit.

Last edited by sledge007; 07/21/2011 at 09:41 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I was thinking of buying this app, but wanted to verify if it would play video that is local on the TP and is 2+gigs. Has anyone tried this yet or is that the limit period??
Old 07/21/2011, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ok scotsmn30 it plays local media files both audio and video. I ended up getting it working. Almost flawless on home wifi, but as far as going through freeTether very, very choppy due to running out of buffer room. Mind you, my phone's in one of those spots in the house. At this point, I'm happy just streaming through home wifi, as this is where that hammock, under the umbrella, on the deck comes in. I worked all night, stayed up half the morning trying to get this to work.

Bottom line, if you're looking for something to stream while you're hanging out in your yard, then I'd recommend it. As far as going through freeTether, I'm done testing it out for now, I'll try again later after I get some sleep.
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 07/21/2011, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Just bought it, awesome app. This came out just in time, I'm going on a trip tomorrow, so now I don't have to waste time converting the video files I want to bring with me.
danh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by nyquistJack likes this.
Old 07/21/2011, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

I bought the app and it does play a mkv file with approx. 12 gb (1920 x 1080 resolution). So it does work with files bigger than 2 gb.
normalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano, nyquistJack and bb147 like this.
Thanked by mivoligo, nyquistJack
Old 07/21/2011, 01:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalo View Post
I bought the app and it does play a mkv file with approx. 12 gb (1920 x 1080 resolution). So it does work with files bigger than 2 gb.
Does it work nicely? Good frame rates, etc?

Btw, can someone try if RMVB streaming works?

Edit: Damn, no RMVB, doesn't even show up. and I wish it would just use either the "proper" aspect ratio, stretched or zoomed in. Right now its like 16:9 or 4:3 and that's it.

I like the streaming though, definitely nice to have. Copying some local files over to see how it handles that.

Edit 2: 720p MKVs (the ones I tried) didn't work properly, it played but the sound is all garbled.

I am really liking this app just because I no longer have to convert anything!

Last edited by bb147; 07/21/2011 at 02:06 PM.
bb147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 02:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

where Is it, cant find it in the app cat, is it geo restricted?
Theonlyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

nm. Its in paid, so users outside of release countries cant access it :-(
Theonlyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jondoe777 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0