Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes
    Personally, I am fortunate that $7 does not make a difference to me either way. But, expensive is a relative term. Yes, when you compare the $7 to the $642 I paid for the TouchPad, it is nothing. By the way, I was able to later get BestBuy to refund $474 of that amount. But then, when you compare the $7 price, to the prices of other apps in the catalog, then it is most certainly on the higher side. In any case for me, it was never about the $7, since obviously I did spend it. But rather the issue for me is the misleading 'Media Player' in the title of the app. If Kalemsoft has no desire or intent to support customers with audio needs, then they should title their app clearly as a 'video' player instead of a 'media' player. Also, more importantly what bothered me more, is that Kalemsoft very conveniently replied to posts that suited them, while ignoring my concerns. At the very least, they should have stated whether they will fix the issues raised by me in the future, or not. What made my ire worse, is the attitude of some people here who dismiss other people's concerns as trivial. Not to mention the rude and offensive language used by some, as if that makes their point more valid.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I was one of the detractors of this software, I tried the demo when i first got my touchpad and it performed terribly with my 720p mkv file.

Stuck at work with no other option I bought the full version and tried it again. This time the touchpad with many patches on it and OC'd to 1.9ghZ and wow is it playing silky smooth. Not sure if it was an update in the meantime, the overclocking or a combination of both but its working great.

Thanks for the great player!
    ^it's the most recent update... I experienced the same. I've always been at 1.8ghz and until the most recent update, it didn't play well.

just leaves to our imagination how much better this app can get
    Quote Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
    I am hoping a decent streaming video player comes along. I can't bring myself to spend over $5 on an app whose version number starts with a '0'. It's like a beta or even alpha program.
    keep waiting, this app is amazing and well worth the $5.99 I paid for it. I stream from my home server all the time.
    snowwhitie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benn00 View Post
    I was one of the detractors of this software, I tried the demo when i first got my touchpad and it performed terribly with my 720p mkv file.

Stuck at work with no other option I bought the full version and tried it again. This time the touchpad with many patches on it and OC'd to 1.9ghZ and wow is it playing silky smooth. Not sure if it was an update in the meantime, the overclocking or a combination of both but its working great.

Thanks for the great player!
    sorry this is offtopic, but how do you get it not to shut off at 1.9ghz? are you using f15? i am using f4 at 1.8, but it's full time dual core at 1.8
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, I'm currently an iOS user. You know, I have my iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, blahblahblah. I bought a video player for my iPad (AVPlayer HD) that is $2.99 and I use it to watch videos everyday, then there are others that are $3.99 or $4.99. You can already see that the one I currently use is half the price of Kalemsoft's player and has played all my videos perfectly.
    That would be IOS, which has a much larger user base, so they can charge less because they're guaranteed to get more money in the long run. How many users are there on the touchpad? A lot less, so they have to charge more. I'm sure if they made this same app for IOs or Android they could charge less too.

I've used the trial and beta version of Kalemsoft's player and it did have problems playing some of my videos and I did have to upload a video for them to test. In my opinion, for an app that is in the HP Catalog and costs $6-7, I don't want to be doing that. I don't want to be beta testing their application and be uploading my results. I've done that for iOS developers and I've got paid for it. I don't want to pay to do it.
    Lucky you, you must have been pre beta testing, because I have yet to Beta test for anyone where they pay. Even Alpha testing and I don't get paid. The only time I've known people to get paid are when they do black or white box testing in QA for a company, and usually it's a company, again Kalem is probably a home brew group building for a Niche market with a much smaller user base (notice they only have a few apps). He probably doesn't have company backing and like most home brewers, relies on the community to help him out.

Of course, this is just my point of view and what I've experienced. I mean, I don't want to pay double the price when my iPad can play my videos perfectly and has more space for videos than my TP. Obviously Kalemsoft can charge whatever they want since there is no other competitor (other than TouchPlayer, I guess).
    You do realize the title of this forum? I didn't see anything with a fruit in it. You may have apologized for bringing in this off-topic post, but your post has nothing to even do with the webos community. We don't want the kool-aid.

I may not agree with high prices of software when done by corporate players like Apple, MS, or even Adobe, but when a small company like Kalemsoft charges a little above the average for something that they uniquely seem to offer at the moment, I have no issue paying it. I think that 6 or 7 dollars I paid to get a product for the life of the product is not a big deal, and in the end it's supporting the developer.
    Last edited by jdclover; 09/15/2011 at 04:15 AM.
    hypertech and Teflon_Don like this.
    Oh and on a side note. For the streaming, I've dropped off the logging in through the Kalem servers to stream, now I just put in my domain (I use dyndns and my router will update the ip the domain points to if my ip changes for some reason, also I think they have programs that do that too) and then used the default port. I've found this seems to stream a little bit faster and for sure browsing the directories I shared is faster.
    i keep getting an error message sayin "Streaming could not start. Please make sure the file is still accessible on the server"
    geez there is a lot of complaints in here over $6.99, no one is forcing you to use this software, if you have a problem paying $6.99, download handbrake and re-encode all your video to a format that the factory video player can play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Personally, I am fortunate that $7 does not make a difference to me either way. But, expensive is a relative term. Yes, when you compare the $7 to the $642 I paid for the TouchPad, it is nothing. By the way, I was able to later get BestBuy to refund $474 of that amount. But then, when you compare the $7 price, to the prices of other apps in the catalog, then it is most certainly on the higher side. In any case for me, it was never about the $7, since obviously I did spend it. But rather the issue for me is the misleading 'Media Player' in the title of the app. If Kalemsoft has no desire or intent to support customers with audio needs, then they should title their app clearly as a 'video' player instead of a 'media' player. Also, more importantly what bothered me more, is that Kalemsoft very conveniently replied to posts that suited them, while ignoring my concerns. At the very least, they should have stated whether they will fix the issues raised by me in the future, or not. What made my ire worse, is the attitude of some people here who dismiss other people's concerns as trivial. Not to mention the rude and offensive language used by some, as if that makes their point more valid.
    Hi, have you seen our post #657?

Regards,

KalemSoft
    @jdclover
    To be honest, I don't mind a developer that relies on the community to help them find bugs and whatnot. What I do have a problem with is that they are charging people for an unfinished product. Obviously the consumers will eventually get the newer versions of the application, but I find it ridiculous that it's being sold in the HP Catalog when beta versions of the application are still being sent out. Just from my experience, you don't sell a product that is still in beta. This isn't Minecraft.

@fventura03
    You're right, no one is forcing anyone to buy the software. But many, many pages back, I asked a simple question. "How long does the demo last?" Absolutely no answer. Is it really that hard to tell someone how long a demo lasts? Of course, I did get one reply. "Just buy it." There was no gun to my head though, or else I may have done what he told me to do.
    another question for Kalemsoft:

I see channels in the the streamer app, what are they exactly for? streaming from a tv card or such?

My network tv streamer the HDHomeRunDual, doesn't seem to work if that's whats its for.

I would love for it to work, if that's what the feature is for.
    I just set up the kalemsoft media server last night and pointed it at my downloaded TV shows - all of which are 720P MKV files. Wow. Just wow. This utterly destroys the setup of Orb that I have - it is so much easier to stream, and the quality is significantly better. I've only watched a couple minutes so far, so I'll try watching a whole episode before final judgement, but frankly this software just got a whole heck of a lot more valuable to me.

This is a CRAZY GOOD deal at $6! I really do not understand what the incessant complaining is about.
    hypertech likes this.
    I just got the trial from the Kalemsoft site. It seems to work well with what I tested, MP4/.M4V and .WMV files. What I was looking for is something that would read .WMV files that are attached to an Email but it doesn't do that. Clicking on the .WMV file just says something like, can't play this file. It isn't Kalemsoft saying this but WebOS. It WILL open and play the .WMV file if you save it then open Kalemsoft to play it. Don't know if I will purchase it.
    Last edited by Kwas; 09/15/2011 at 11:54 AM.
    @jdclover
    To be honest, I don't mind a developer that relies on the community to help them find bugs and whatnot. What I do have a problem with is that they are charging people for an unfinished product. Obviously the consumers will eventually get the newer versions of the application, but I find it ridiculous that it's being sold in the HP Catalog when beta versions of the application are still being sent out. Just from my experience, you don't sell a product that is still in beta. This isn't Minecraft.
    We need to make a clarification here. The betas are being released for new versions with feature enhancements or bug fixes. Anything released on the app catalog is a tested release version, not a beta.

Regards,

KalemSoft
  16. uk1
    Hi,

I sent the TS file a few days ago - just checking you have it - and if you could give me a rough idea when the fix might be incorporated?

Thanks

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
    Hi,

I sent the TS file a few days ago - just checking you have it - and if you could give me a rough idea when the fix might be incorporated?

Thanks

Jeff
    Thanks we got that. We are trying to make it work. Hopefully the next release will have a fix...

Regards,

KalemSoft
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    The developer said subtitles are not going to happen a few pages ago.
    Kalemsoft, is there any reason why? This is an important feature for watching anime and other foreign films
    @fventura03
    You're right, no one is forcing anyone to buy the software. But many, many pages back, I asked a simple question. "How long does the demo last?" Absolutely no answer. Is it really that hard to tell someone how long a demo lasts? Of course, I did get one reply. "Just buy it." There was no gun to my head though, or else I may have done what he told me to do.
    no one answers because it's been answered already, it's a week trial. although some have said they've gotten more then a week trial...
  20. uk1
    Thanks.