Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Any one use it with an video capture card in pc and stream TV? I wonder if it would work with my old ATI All in One card.
    It only works on analog tuner cards - so I think the old ATI might work. I've got it working with a Hauppauge USB2PVR and a Kworld PCIe dual tuner - although there's an issue with the Kworld on the TP - works great on the Pre but stutters alot on the TP. I know Kalemsoft is trying to run down the Kworld - TP issue, though.
    I will have to try this on a pre we run a hauppauge card
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm still waiting on server software for Linux. All my media are on my desktop which run on Fedora Linux.
    k4ever likes this.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I have a home server that is running Microsoft's Windows Home Server operating system (essentially a home-centered version of Windows 2003) and was able to successfully install Kalemsoft server on it. I was also able to set it up to run as a Windows service, which keeps it running even when no user is logged in to the server. I realize this may not be a common need, but I figured I'd post the steps here in case anyone else can get use out of it. Note that these instructions could probably be easily adapted to running it as a service on a Windows 7 or XP box as well.

1. Log in to the server as an administrator and download and install the Kalemsoft media streamer.

2. Run the media streamer and do any configuration (add channels and local folders, set up ports, etc.) Make sure that the check box to "auto run on boot" is unchecked.

3. Verify that you can connect with the TouchPad and successfully stream a video.

4. Exit the media streamer using the "Exit" commend from the menu (don't just close the window as that keeps the streamer running in the background).

5. Download and install Microsoft's Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools from Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. Note that you could probably find the XP or Win7 version with a quick Google search.

6. Open a command prompt and switch to the directory where the tools are installed (default is C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools).

7. Type the following: instsrv "Kalemsoft Media Streamer" "c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe"
    (Adjust the directory if you installed the resource kit somewhere else).

8. Run regedit (use the "run" command from the start menu) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Kalemsoft Media Streamer.

9. Add a new subkey called "Parameters" and switch to that subkey.

10. Add a new string value named "Application" and set its value to the location of the Kalemsoft executable. The default is "C:\Program Files\KalemSoft\KalemSoft Media Streamer\KSMediaStreamer.exe"

11. Add a new string value named "AppDirectory" and set it to the application directory. Default is "C:\Program Files\KalemSoft\KalemSoft Media Streamer".

12. Go into the "Services" screen either by navigating through Control Panel/Administrative Tools or by using the Start menu Run command and typing "Services.msc".

13. Find "Kalemsoft Media Streamer" in the services list, right click it, and select "Properties".

14. Confirm that the Startup type is set to "Automatic". It should be set to that by default.

15. Select the log-in tab and set it to run under an administrator account (click the "This Account" radio button and enter the appropriate username and password).

16. Start the service by clicking the "Start" button on the "General" tab (or cancel out and right-click and select "Start").

17. Log off from the server and confirm that your TouchPad can access the server.

Assuming all these steps were completed correctly, the streamer will remain up and running regardless of whether you are logged in to the server and it will also auto-start on reboot. If you ever need to change any settings (such as adding new folders or channels), just log in as an administrator, stop the service, run the streamer UI and make the necessary adjustments, exit, and then start the service again.

Hopefully some of you might find this helpful!

-Jeff
    Felipe and noseph like this.
    I agree they should have a trail version.

bigbradbad - what type of tuner card are you using?
    I have the ATI TV Wonder HD USB card
    It is worth noting that playing XviD videos using this software will require far more battery life than videos that are in H264 format and therefore able to be decoded natively by the H264 chip in the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a list of supported files? Most of mine are an iso but I do have some mp4s.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Would love to be able to stream videos (AVI / MPEG) from my Synology DLNA. Any chance this will be possible in the near future?
    JeffGR - nice info for how to on running it as a service. Only issue I have was that it didnt work for my tv tuner card. I was able to get to media folders but couldnt stream tv. So I ended up disabling service and removing regedits.
    Just an update. I used freetether over the weekend, to enable TouchPad use, with zero issues (no lag, no stoppages, etc.). I only had 3 bar Sprint EV coverage on my Pre. My kids watched about 4 to 5 hours of movies, approximately 20 miles from our home.

My only issues, and one is definitely not within dev control:

1. That 5 hours pushed me from 300mb of data usage to 1.3gb of data usage. Unlimited, but it's definitely my highest usage in a long time. 5 hours of streaming will do that though, and it's rare for me to not have a local wireless connection.

2. Volume. I had two Bose travel speakers with me. I had the TouchPad & speakers turned up to maximum. You could still only barely hear the movies. The files are plenty loud on all other media we stream them on (Pre, iPad, HTPC, etc.). I know this is a fairly common issue so far with TouchPad apps, but it's also inconsistent. Some apps provide much louder volume. I'm not sure why the inconsistency, but if this app could bypass the stock volume & allow for a rather significant increase, it would do wonders.

As awesome as it was, and the kids didn't care much, the volume issue will make it unusable for me when travelling. No way it would work on a plane, or anywhere with even moderate noise levels. At least not for me. Anyone know if this can be fixed on the dev side, or if it's strictly HP?

Thanks,

steffej3
    Steffej3,

There is another thread on this site about Beats Audio volume, a patch has been developed that modifies the sound levels and resolves all the 'too soft' discussions. Patch should be out on Preware soon or just load the IPK the the dev posted.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-anyone-5.html
    Last edited by FesterTreo; 07/25/2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Posted thread link
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Steffej3,

There is another thread on this site about Beats Audio volume, a patch has been developed that modifies the sound levels and resolves all the 'too soft' discussions. Patch should be out on Preware soon or just load the IPK the the dev posted.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-anyone-5.html
    Will do. Thanks. Going to wait until the OTA first...and I hope it's not too much longer. I patched the be*esus out of my TouchPad a couple of weeks ago. Started getting reboots like crazy. Wasn't stable at all (at least for me). Doctored & have only had one reboot since. First time in my webOS (launch Pre user) life I've been reluctant to patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Will do. Thanks. Going to wait until the OTA first...and I hope it's not too much longer. I patched the be*esus out of my TouchPad a couple of weeks ago. Started getting reboots like crazy. Wasn't stable at all (at least for me). Doctored & have only had one reboot since. First time in my webOS (launch Pre user) life I've been reluctant to patch.
    Any chance you want to start another thread about what patches you were using and maybe what you were doing that resulted in reboots? I haven't had any issues with patching thus far.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    steffej3

The patch only just sets a variable at boot time for the volume. Its not the kind of thing that would cause reboots as its not keeping anything running in memory etc.
    "No way it would work on a plane, or anywhere with even moderate noise levels. "

What about with headphones on? On planes I use noise isolating headphones in general and would think this would help.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Kalemsoft worked for the first three movies I played over my network, but since then, I get error message "Could not connect to the streaming server. Please make sure KSMS is running on your PC and is in Ready state." which it is. I've used the static IP of my WHS Server and even made sure that the ports 7000 & 7001 were open and assigned on both my router and my WHS firewall. It is awesome when it works!

EDIT: I originally downloaded and set up the sstreaming software on my laptop, tested it (it worked fine), then closed the software and installed it on my Windows Home Server and after some tweaking to the ports in the firewall, it worked for the 3 movies that I mentioned before not working anymore. In both installs I used the same account information - could that be the problem?
    Last edited by LA6507; 07/25/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Has anyone been able to play an entire folder(or make a playlist of multiple folders) of music or are you just limited to play one .mp3 at a time? I haven't been able to figure out if it's possible yet.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I just got an email back from KalemSoft and thought I'd share some info with you:

You will need to enable the shuffle option for that. There is a shuffle button just above the slider in player controls. Once you enable that, the songs will be streamed one after the other from the current folder you are in. If the current folder is a remote folder on the server, the songs in that folder will be streamed back to back.

You can also create a dynamic playlist. To do that, tap and hold an item in the list. This will bring up the context menu. From the context menu, select Add To Favorites. The item will be added to the favorites list. Then, go to favorites list and play a song while shuffle is turned on. The songs in the favorites list will be played one after the other.

Future versions will let you setup multiple playlists on the fly.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

KalemSoft
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Any chance you want to start another thread about what patches you were using and maybe what you were doing that resulted in reboots? I haven't had any issues with patching thus far.
    I can start a thread on it, if it's needed. I installed all of the 'turbo' patches, had glass effect theme, and I think that's pretty much it. I was in forced reboots several times a day. I've seen the widely reported issues similar to mine, so I assumed that something was a bad install or it was simply the current version of webOS that was the issue. Didn't think it needed to be made redundant. The only reason I thought it may be from patching is that I haven't had any forced reboots since doctoring the device (maybe 1 ). Heck, it could have been from bad app installs or deletions. I have no idea.

I'm OCD with un-patching & doctoring for an OTA anyway, so I figured I'd be patient until things stabilize on all fronts. Then I'll gladly spend time reporting issues that may result from patching or not.
    "No way it would work on a plane, or anywhere with even moderate noise levels. "

What about with headphones on? On planes I use noise isolating headphones in general and would think this would help.
    I have two pair that accomplish what you're stating, and it just isn't quite enough volume with tons of noise. One pair are Klipsch, the other are Shure. I am an audio geek, so I'm overly critical on that front for sure. Everything works great in my office (for music..haven't tested video here), I generally can't hear people with the headphones in...but it's not a loud office either.

There's a thread for it, I know. I was just questioning if there was anything in the dev's control that could help. My chief interest is being able to produce enough volume to the speakers so that my kids can enjoy the movies. It was pretty much just visuals for them last weekend (I should have thought to video that, but it's really hard to video an audio issue). Seriously, not unhappy with the app. I love it. Hope I didn't give the wrong impression. Just looking for some feedback.
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast