Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
    Edit 2: 720p MKVs (the ones I tried) didn't work properly, it played but the sound is all garbled.

I am really liking this app just because I no longer have to convert anything!
    I played some MKVs and XviD encoded AVIs on it. I noticed two things:
    - MKV file had jittery framerate for video and was out of sync (audio was ahead)
    - The XviD file was sync'd audio wise, but the audio frequency seemed slow (voices were deeper than they should've been)

I haven't tried any other files, but will report back when I see some of my other AVIs and how they stack up.
    Any one use it with an video capture card in pc and stream TV? I wonder if it would work with my old ATI All in One card.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Any one use it with an video capture card in pc and stream TV? I wonder if it would work with my old ATI All in One card.
    i tried with a USB capture card and it won't work.

setup the channels and everything but when I try to watch, it just stops after a few seconds (no video or sound)
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    just any fyi to clear up my 2gig file issue.

i transferred it to the same folder that i did the other two files, but kalemsoft does not see it. it doesnt list it.

while internalz does see it.

i reported it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I don't go out of my way to buy apps... usually I can do what I need to with the free apps.

That being said I decided to spring for KalemSoft Media Player
    We have several different mobile players in the house and after a lot of trial and error found one that plays on all the devices.. until I got my TouchPad that is

and let me tell you.. you'd be damn lucky to get away with your fingers if you try to take it away from me.

This app works beautifully on my touchpad and saved me from having to re-rip/convert a library of DVDs for offline viewing
    So far it's working fairly well for me. AVI and Xvid non-encoded files do get grainy if blown up to full screen. Seem ok in 16:9. I find if you do encode them through Kalem they are better quality, but definately watchable even if not encoded. Good start. I hope it does get upgraded eventually for better full screen of non-encoded video.
    Ok, I am 150km north of my house approximately,& streaming movies onto my TouchPad with this app! I do have to let it stream for awhile to let it get ahead a bit,but pretty cool nonetheless! Music files are no problem. No wait required. This IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! Thanks KalemSoft

Only thing that would be cool would be to just select a whole folder to play, but I haven't explored around enough yet, maybe I missed how to do that.
    Is it worth $6.99? You bet your **** it does!!
    so another bug?

stop the video and restart, it doesnt remember where it left off.
    Felipe
  9.    #29  
    I've now had some time to test a bit further the app.

+works with all the .avi files I've tried so far
    +media streaming: works like a charm, the app not only lets you stream files stored on a local PC but also to server directories attached to it - I've linked the streamer to my HP Home Media Server and can now stream my whole library from the server to the TP ;-)

There are however a couple of improvements I'd like to see in the next update:
    +aspect ratio: currently inly two options toggle: 4:3 overly cropped/zoomed and 16:9 which is most of the time slightly distorted/off - need to handle 16:9 files better and add more options (full screen stretched, 16:9 stretched, keep original aspect ratio, etc...)
    +file handling: an automatic indexing of supported content with thumbnail preview would be great (but at least the app can navigate in the folder structure and display file names which is not the case in the native photos/videos app)

I hope that KalemSoft will keep up the good work and release updates soon.
    I love this app, I use it on my Pre all the time. With the Touchpad though, it seems to be having issues streaming live TV. The stream will buffer to 100% but will still be choppy and pause, then drop down to 0%, it won't run smooth at all. On my Pre over my Sprint 3G connection it will be stuttery at first, but eventually runs as smooth as watching it on my TV at home, but my home wifi network which is a lot faster is having these issues. Anyone else have these issues, or what is your experience with streaming live TV?
    It would be nice if they had a trial version to try out before buying the app.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    nyquistjack likes this.
    I agree they should have a trail version.

bigbradbad - what type of tuner card are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    so another bug?

stop the video and restart, it doesnt remember where it left off.
    I think if you do a long tap (is that what you call it?) on the file you want to restart, you should get a dialog that includes "resume".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It would be nice if they had a trial version to try out before buying the app.
    I know it seems like quite a bit of loot, but if you have a solid video library, it's by far the best option on the TouchPad. IMO, well worth the price, especially if you are usually around a reliable wifi signal. I hear you though, when it first launched on the Pre, I think there was a trial. You could use it for a week or so before it required a login. Perhaps that's a possibility with this one?

If the reported tethering lags can be worked out (I haven't tested it on a trip yet), it would be near perfect for me. Works on planes, works in airports, etc. Wifi & a properly set up account = works.

You could go the route of creating your own web server, etc., but that's not only a lot of work/maintenance, but also not always reliable on the video front (at least for me). It's nice to have a dev like this that has put the work into it & made it relatively easy.

I will also note that the dev is very responsive. I've had a few support questions in the past with my Pre & I used the support site...rec'd a response very quickly. Solved my issue too. I say, buy it. But don't flame me if you don't like it. Just giving my anecdotal view.
    "I will also note that the dev is very responsive. I've had a few support questions in the past with my Pre & I used the support site...rec'd a response very quickly"

Hope so cause I posted a question yesterday and still waiting for a response.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I think if you do a long tap (is that what you call it?) on the file you want to restart, you should get a dialog that includes "resume".
    yes, that works.

thank you.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman821 View Post
    I really wish this was DLNA compliant, I don't really want to install more software to stream stuff when the built in ability already exists.
    I do also. The desktop server only works on Windows, which is a definite minus for me. I would like to see server software for Linux (which I use primarily) and for MacOS-X. I would also like the server to work with other devices like my Playstation 3. It would eliminate the need to run multiple servers.

That being said, I bought the player for the Touchpad and it is pretty good! It has played every file that I threw at it: .avi, .mpg, .mkv, .m4v, and .mp4. That's awesome. The quality on native videos is good but the quality on streaming videos is a little low. I would like to see the quality on streams improve in future versions of the server/app as well as the stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph.
    can it play MKV's? And if it can how well?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by damienh View Post

There are however a couple of improvements I'd like to see in the next update:
    +aspect ratio: currently inly two options toggle: 4:3 overly cropped/zoomed and 16:9 which is most of the time slightly distorted/off - need to handle 16:9 files better and add more options (full screen stretched, 16:9 stretched, keep original aspect ratio, etc...)
    I have already filed a ticket for stretched 16:9 files. I got a response within one hour and sent them three screenshots. Looking forward to see this fixed. Still a great app to have...
    What a great app. I just tried remote streaming from my computer at home to work. Works flawless. No conversion or anything.. just starts right up. I like this better than airplay. Now if only we could get native aspect ratio then we're set!
    sledge007 likes this.
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast