Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've just installed the Kindle App and it looks functional and good. Also bought/synced successfully a couple of books wirelessly.

    However, as I have a large collection of free kindle books stored locally on my PC, I am now trying to add these books manually to the Kindle app on the TouchPad (this can be done easily on an iPad, for instance, by dragging the kindle files to the kindle folder through iTunes).

    I've tried to mound the TP as sn USB drive and then copy the kindle content stored on the PC to the /media/internal/.palmkindle folder (where the kindle content seems to be stored) but the Kindle App would not recognize/add any of the new books added manually. I've also tried to open one manually using the Gemini file manager but the file would not be recognized either.

    Do you know whether it is possible to manually add content and how to do it?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    I think you'd be better off converting your books to PDF and sending them to your amazon/kindle email address (you can look this up on your kindle account), then the whisper sync should bring them down for you...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, but I thought that only dedicated kindle devices had an amazon/kindle email. I've checked on my amazon/kindle account details and there is a kindle email listed for my 1st gen Kindle but not for my Kindle TouchPad apps which appears in a a separate "Registered Kindle Apps" category like my PC apps.
  4. scorpeo88's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #4  
    theres also a free way to do it without using whisper sync.. you register your email to the "Approved Personal Document E-mail List" in Personal Document Settings. and then you should be able to attach a document and email "name"@free.kindle.com . . . BUT

    i tried it and it didnt work... im not sure if "name" means the name i registered with or the first part of my email... i tried both and it didnt work..

    i also tried to directly copy the .mobi book into the .palmkindle folder..but that was a failure as well... it is getting frustrating.
  5. #5  
    Dang. I'm battling with this too. I downloaded a program called calire to see if it would convert into .amz but it appears to only convert to .mobi (well, and others). I hope something comes up for this...
  6. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #6  
    I'm in Canada so can't try it but what if you transfer the file to box.net or dropbox, download the file and try to open it directly from there? That's how I get books onto my wife's Kindle app on her iPhone.
  7. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Dang. I'm battling with this too. I downloaded a program called calire to see if it would convert into .amz but it appears to only convert to .mobi (well, and others). I hope something comes up for this...
    .amz is the same as mobi. No problem reading mobi books on my wife's iPhone Kindle app.

    Calibre is an awesome app!
  8. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #8  
    Come to think of it, why not just use pReader for non-DRM books?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I'm in Canada so can't try it but what if you transfer the file to box.net or dropbox, download the file and try to open it directly from there? That's how I get books onto my wife's Kindle app on her iPhone.
    I tried this to no avail. Just tried to open it in a browser and get an error. I am messing with pReader and it works pretty well. Mine lags quite a bit when reading epub or mobi.

    I would love to find a way to get mobi files in the kindle app manually to have one clean place to house it all.
  10. phil71's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #10  
    I don't manage to set a kindle email address in order to send ebook/pdf to my Touchpad.
    Can someone please help me with this?
  11. #11  
    so, .mobi files don't show up on the Kindle? they show up on the PC version of the Kindle app. I guess it is still in Beta. This is a bummer.

    no idea what the "name"@free.kindle.com and "name"@kindle.com are or how to use them. Here's why:

    Per the amazon.com help site, I see this information.

    1. To edit your Kindle's e-mail address: Visit the Manage Your Kindle page.
    2. Sign-in to your Amazon.com account.
    3. In the Your Kindle(s) section, select "Edit Info."
    4. In the Kindle E-mail Address text field, change the first part of the e-mail address to what you would like it to be. The @free.kindle.com and the @kindle.com will automatically be appended.
    5. Select "Update information" to save your changes and close the text entry box.

    I have no "Kindle E-mail Address text field" anywhere; thus I can't create this "name" at free.kindle.com address.
    Last edited by Midway99; 07/22/2011 at 03:35 PM.
  12. dilutedq's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    so, .mobi files don't show up on the Kindle? they show up on the PC version of the Kindle app. I guess it is still in Beta. This is a bummer.

    no idea what the "name"@free.kindle.com and "name"@kindle.com are or how to use them. Here's why:

    Per the amazon.com help site, I see this information.

    1. To edit your Kindle's e-mail address: Visit the Manage Your Kindle page.
    2. Sign-in to your Amazon.com account.
    3. In the Your Kindle(s) section, select "Edit Info."
    4. In the Kindle E-mail Address text field, change the first part of the e-mail address to what you would like it to be. The @free.kindle.com and the @kindle.com will automatically be appended.
    5. Select "Update information" to save your changes and close the text entry box.

    I have no "Kindle E-mail Address text field" anywhere; thus I can't create this "name" at free.kindle.com address.

    I do not have that option either. Also using pReader is not an option since tbh it is not very good at reading any of the ePub books I have, it also doesn't read PDFs. I have a bunch of technical ePub and PDF books I would love to use on my TouchPad that worked amazing on my IPad but I so far it is just a horrible experience on my TouchPad. I wish there was a way to just use the Kindle reader for all of them.
  13. #13  
    didn't want to start a new thread, but where do folks buy/download ebooks besides Amazon?
  14. #14  
    It's easy enough to get a Kindle formatted copy of your document w/o Whispernet. When you email a PDF (for example) to your free Kindle email address ("name"@free.kindle.com) with the word "convert" in the subject you will get an email to your Kindle-associated email address with a copy of the .azw file. It is very easy to just copy this file directly to your Kindle for reading.

    However ... I have been unable to find a way to copy this file to my Touchpad and have it be identified by the Kindle app. I placed it both the .palmkindle folder and in the My eBooks folder, but to no avail. If anyone knows where to place an eBook so that the Touchpad Kindle app will find it, PLEASE ADVISE!

    Lots of free and inexpensive books can be found here:
    Kindle Review – Kindle 3 Review, Kindle vs Nook
    You can sign-up for email updates.

    Bob
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    didn't want to start a new thread, but where do folks buy/download ebooks besides Amazon?
    Project Gutenberg is an obvious source for those who know it, you should check it out. Googling 'free ebooks' will make all of your wildest dreams come true.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydn View Post
    It's easy enough to get a Kindle formatted copy of your document w/o Whispernet. When you email a PDF (for example) to your free Kindle email address ("name"@free.kindle.com) with the word "convert" in the subject you will get an email to your Kindle-associated email address with a copy of the .azw file. It is very easy to just copy this file directly to your Kindle for reading.

    However ... I have been unable to find a way to copy this file to my Touchpad and have it be identified by the Kindle app. I placed it both the .palmkindle folder and in the My eBooks folder, but to no avail. If anyone knows where to place an eBook so that the Touchpad Kindle app will find it, PLEASE ADVISE!

    Lots of free and inexpensive books can be found here:
    Kindle Review Kindle 3 Review, Kindle vs Nook
    You can sign-up for email updates.

    Bob
    +1 I am struggling with this also. Tried different places for the .mobi files, but Kindle does not read the files.....
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
  17. #17  
    I sent Kindle Customer Support asking about pdf and .mobi files. here is the dialogue:

    Me: How can read my .mobi and pdf files through the Kindle app for HP Touchpad?

    Kindle Support:
    "I am sorry; you cannot currently open personal documents such as a PDF or Word document using a Kindle reading application.

    I have forwarded your query as a suggestion to our kindle development team. We'll consider your suggestion as we plan further improvements. Customer feedback like yours is always important to us. I'll be sure to pass your message along to the appropriate people as we continue to determine ways to improve the Kindle experience for our customers.

    Thank you for using Kindle."

    They completely ignored the mobi files part of my question. Oh well.
  18. mapenn's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    didn't want to start a new thread, but where do folks buy/download ebooks besides Amazon?
    I used to buy all my ebooks from eReader.com - great selection and a wonderful discount program. But a couple years ago something happened - I think they got bought out by B&N and now it's just a placeholder for 3rd-rate books.

    I haven't found a replacement for eRreader.com yet. Great question.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I sent Kindle Customer Support asking about pdf and .mobi files. here is the dialogue:

    Me: How can read my .mobi and pdf files through the Kindle app for HP Touchpad?

    Kindle Support:
    "I am sorry; you cannot currently open personal documents such as a PDF or Word document using a Kindle reading application.

    I have forwarded your query as a suggestion to our kindle development team. We'll consider your suggestion as we plan further improvements. Customer feedback like yours is always important to us. I'll be sure to pass your message along to the appropriate people as we continue to determine ways to improve the Kindle experience for our customers.

    Thank you for using Kindle."

    They completely ignored the mobi files part of my question. Oh well.
    Bummer. That's disappointing. On my son's iPad, I can copy an ePub file to the tablet and have it appear in iBooks. I hope this limitation in Kindle for TP is a beta problem.
  20. #20  
    You can always open the epub using preader. It is not as good as the Kindle App (my opinion), but it is free.
    Devices

    -WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions