Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Back to the off-topic subject of where to get books, Bean Webscriptions also has a FREE library of Sci-Fi books written by people who are actually alive and NOT French<g>.
    I'll be interested in your OT reply if you tell me how to easily sideload it...
    I can easily open mobi files (think epub too) on my ipad and my daughter's ipod touch by simply emailing them and opening them in the device.
    Do you think it's the TP kindle app that is crippled or a webos bug with file type association?
    Does anyone know if this works in other tablets?

I can't believe that we were singled out to have this specific restriction...

Sending an email to kindle support is pointless....you ask them about .mobi and they answer you (me) "at this time you can't open pdf or word documents in the TP app" ***!!
    It's probably a limitation in the app, I'd guess that it doesn't understand how to open files that it hasn't explicitly added to it's database. Probably the best hack we could do for that is to figure out it's database structure and directly change that, I'm thinking. I"m also thinking that's probably easier said than done, but maybe not terribly difficult for some people to figure out? I'm not that person at the moment, though.

Would be very nice to be able to do it, though.

Who do we have to email?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    The new kindle side loading app in preware works fantastic. I have 1000s of books on my pc and can now read them on my touchpad. SWEEEEEET!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobeer1315 View Post
    The new kindle side loading app in preware works fantastic. I have 1000s of books on my pc and can now read them on my touchpad. SWEEEEEET!
    do you have the beta version of the app? I'm in the UK and managed to get it installed but the sideloading patch doesn't work for me as I don't have the 'load books' option in the menu
    OK, I found the app in PreWare today and installed it, but the description only referenced .mobi files. What about the standard .azw files? There are more and more places to get them besides Amazon and I really do not wish to convert them to .mobi, etc, etc.

Actually, using Calibre to download metadata and covers as needed for the AZW files I had, then converting them to .mobi and sending them to the main storage allowed me to use Kindle Import to do exactly that. Worked fine and all books look great.
    Last edited by nunjabusiness; 09/24/2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update:
    I can get the books to load in but is there supposed to be a preview of the book cover when you scroll through the book list? i only get a book cover when i select a book and start to read it.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bugdry View Post
    I can get the books to load in but is there supposed to be a preview of the book cover when you scroll through the book list? i only get a book cover when i select a book and start to read it.

thanks
    get the latest version of Calibre it now supports covers
    All...excellent thread as currently struggling with this a UK Kindle app user.

For clarity can someone post up name of preware app or patch mentioned above plz, and also a link to calibre...

Googling for both now from my shiny new TP... ;-)
    ....okay, so App is called "kindle import" and link to calibre is shown in preware info on app.
    sweet...
    NOW SOLVED!!! See the Kindle Import app in homebrew Apps.
    http://www.precentral.net/kindle-import
    You have to run a batch job on your PC to extract the cover pictures & convert the filename to: bookname-author-ASIN-locatoins.mobi
    After conversion if bookname contains a '-', change the dash to another character or else Kindle Import will error out & you will have to start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd974 View Post
    I too want a real solution to this, as I have a lot of books from my sony reader. I used the following hack and it works, although it's ugly. Here's what I did

1. download a few free books from amazon into the kindle app. Ensure you can open them in the kindle app
    2. Using Calibre, convert your desired book to .mobi
    3. Connect the touchpad to your PC via USB mode
    4. Copy the converted book to /media/internal/.palmkindle
    5. Rename the converted book to the name of one of your free downloaded books (e.g. myconvertedbook.mobi -> B002D48NUA_EBSP.asw)

The new book name will still be the same as the downloaded free book. You could even copy the cover art (.jpg) to /coverCache, naming the jpg to B002D48NUA-small.jpg to see the cover. You will be able to read the book ok... just remember which free download is your desired book.

As I said, it's ugly, but it works as a test.
    I'd really like a proper way to do it and load my books with the proper name.
    Worked for me. VERY happy!!!!
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Worked for me. VERY happy!!!!
    Did you not see Kindle-Import?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Do the books sync with other devices, if the books are being read on them (the different devices)? Thanks
    It looks like this kindle TP app isn't compatible with archived personal documents they implemented with the last update. I have a few non-amazon books archived on my kindle device and I can't get them to sync to my TP, rather only ones I purchased directly fro mamazon. I hope amazon updates this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verell View Post
    NOW SOLVED!!! See the Kindle Import app in homebrew Apps.
    http://www.precentral.net/kindle-import
    You have to run a batch job on your PC to extract the cover pictures & convert the filename to: bookname-author-ASIN-locatoins.mobi
    After conversion if bookname contains a '-', change the dash to another character or else Kindle Import will error out & you will have to start over.

How do you run a batch job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz7176 View Post
    How do you run a batch job?
    Here's the step by step I did

I started over from scratch and deleted the Kindle import and kindle app both from my touchpad.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre on my laptop. (didn't matter though I still had to run the setup wizard again)

I re-downloaded Kindle import homebrew app with preware and installed it to the touchpad. I re-downloaded the Kindle beta app from HP app store and installed it to the touchpad)

I registered the kindle app with amazon

I downloaded script. http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip on my laptop

I created a new folder on my Laptop's desktop named "my books"

I extracted your script that I downloaded to that new folder named "my books" on my laptop

I put the mobi files I wanted to import to my kindle into that same folder named "my books"on the laptop

I ran your script and .bat file that was extracted into the "my books" folder on my laptop

After your script created the new .palmkindle file inside the folder named "my books" on my laptop (with the mobi files now tagged inside) I opend that new folder named .palmkindle and then opened calibre. I imported the mobi books to the Calibre library by dragging and dropping them from the folder named .palmkindle to the library in Calibre.

I selected them in the calibre library and updated the "meta data".

After they were updated and I saved the new meta data in Calibre, I put the touchpad in USB mode and I sent the mobi books to my touchpad using calibre via the tab at the top of Calibre called "Send to Device"

I then shut down and restarted the Touchpad

after reboot I ran the Kindle import app and hit "load new books" It found the books I had sent to the device using the tab I mentioned above in calibre. I then hit the "import books" tab in the kindle import app and after succesful load closed kindle import.

Opened the Kindle app and all books were there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emtwo View Post
    Back to the off-topic subject of where to get books, Bean Webscriptions also has a FREE library of Sci-Fi books written by people who are actually alive and NOT French<g>.

Finding ebooks online is very easy but for anyone that doesn't know, I can easily put you onto at least two places I use.
    I am assuming that most people do know?
    I could be wrong though......

One at the very least has hundreds of books and I just downloaded from there, every book on the NYTimes Best Seller List for the year.
    There are more books available than I know what to do with.

That said, I dont think its a good idea to print the URL here so if you really need to know, you can sed me a PM on this forum although i dont know if i will notice it or just email me directly at shelaghdb 1959 at gmail dot com but make that all without spaces
    rebelduke likes this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast