Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd974 View Post
    I too want a real solution to this, as I have a lot of books from my sony reader. I used the following hack and it works, although it's ugly. Here's what I did

1. download a few free books from amazon into the kindle app. Ensure you can open them in the kindle app
    2. Using Calibre, convert your desired book to .mobi
    3. Connect the touchpad to your PC via USB mode
    4. Copy the converted book to /media/internal/.palmkindle
    5. Rename the converted book to the name of one of your free downloaded books (e.g. myconvertedbook.mobi -> B002D48NUA_EBSP.asw)

The new book name will still be the same as the downloaded free book. You could even copy the cover art (.jpg) to /coverCache, naming the jpg to B002D48NUA-small.jpg to see the cover. You will be able to read the book ok... just remember which free download is your desired book.

As I said, it's ugly, but it works as a test.
    I'd really like a proper way to do it and load my books with the proper name.
    This worked for me thanks!
    So I guess that means the best solution (which I just confirmed works for me) is to download a sample of the book you actually want to side load. Then copy the converted .mobi to the corresponding azw. This leaves the 'sample' badge and the page number scroller says it'll limit you, but it gives the right book name.

Ie, I'm at 691 of 421 with 164% progress.
    Looked a little into this, after not knowing anything about webos, and the titles etc are stored in
    /var/db/main/objects.db and
    /var/db/main/indexes.db
    and when I copied replaced the title, it crashed the touchpad hard and automatically restored it. Guessing there is checksums everhwere in those huge files? Anybody know a 'safe' way of editing those files?
    started writing a blog about this for technical details/progress hackingpalmkindle.blogspot.com
    On my laptop (I don't have my TP yet!) I can drag and non DRM Mobi book into my Kindle folder and it opens up. Does this not work the same way on TouchPad? Did they cripple the Kindle App?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd974 View Post
    I too want a real solution to this, as I have a lot of books from my sony reader. I used the following hack and it works, although it's ugly. Here's what I did

1. download a few free books from amazon into the kindle app. Ensure you can open them in the kindle app
    2. Using Calibre, convert your desired book to .mobi
    3. Connect the touchpad to your PC via USB mode
    4. Copy the converted book to /media/internal/.palmkindle
    5. Rename the converted book to the name of one of your free downloaded books (e.g. myconvertedbook.mobi -> B002D48NUA_EBSP.asw)

The new book name will still be the same as the downloaded free book. You could even copy the cover art (.jpg) to /coverCache, naming the jpg to B002D48NUA-small.jpg to see the cover. You will be able to read the book ok... just remember which free download is your desired book.

As I said, it's ugly, but it works as a test.
    I'd really like a proper way to do it and load my books with the proper name.
    Also note, if you have Internalz HD on your TouchPad you can do this without having to connect to a computer and you don't need to convert anything.

I just download Oedipus, free version from Kindle Store, the formatting sucks in this version. Then I downloaded a copy from guttenberg online. Using Internalz HD I moved the mobi file to the kindle app directory, renamed and replaced it with the original azw file and presto. It works perfectly.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Also note, if you have Internalz HD on your TouchPad you can do this without having to connect to a computer and you don't need to convert anything.

I just download Oedipus, free version from Kindle Store, the formatting sucks in this version. Then I downloaded a copy from guttenberg online. Using Internalz HD I moved the mobi file to the kindle app directory, renamed and replaced it with the original azw file and presto. It works perfectly.
    Was Oedipus from Guttenberg in epub or mobi format?
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Was Oedipus from Guttenberg in epub or mobi format?
    I downloaded mobi but I believe they also had it in epub and pdf.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ks-kindle.html

DC Peterson in thread above has a way to get rid of the sample banner too! ProPS
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So I guess that means the best solution (which I just confirmed works for me) is to download a sample of the book you actually want to side load. Then copy the converted .mobi to the corresponding azw. This leaves the 'sample' badge and the page number scroller says it'll limit you, but it gives the right book name.

Ie, I'm at 691 of 421 with 164% progress.
    There's a Kindle update today, not sure what it changes but it doesn't add any way to manually load books.

However, stuff loaded using this method still works.

Edit: The method to remove the banners is different though, they seem to have changed that section of the code somewhat. Look for something "If EBSP" and comment out everything but the part between the { } under else.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/26/2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's a Kindle update today, not sure what it changes but it doesn't add any way to manually load books.

However, stuff loaded using this method still works.
    yep, just got the update. Still doesn't see eBooks not bought from Amazon
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    theres also a free way to do it without using whisper sync.. you register your email to the "Approved Personal Document E-mail List" in Personal Document Settings. and then you should be able to attach a document and email "name"@free.kindle.com . . . BUT

i tried it and it didnt work... im not sure if "name" means the name i registered with or the first part of my email... i tried both and it didnt work..

i also tried to directly copy the .mobi book into the .palmkindle folder..but that was a failure as well... it is getting frustrating.
    you should have a physical Kindle device to active this email address for sending Personal Document .
    I've just skipped the kindle app completely on this, i tried to get stuff on there unsucessfully i just turned to PRPRPR $reader$, $and$ $use$ $calibre$ $to$ $convert$ $my$ .$lit$ $books$
    I followed the steps listed here and it is working fine for me.
    Wouldn't it be possible to create a batch file or some very simple program which does the aforementioned steps for the user?

The lack of a good eBook / PDF reader on the Touchpad is really annoying so I guess a lot of people would be interested in this.

Somebody willing to take the lead?
    This is just a sad day finding out how crippled they have made kindle for TP
    Quote Originally Posted by newcultking View Post
    This is just a sad day finding out how crippled they have made kindle for TP
    It's still beta and therefore not complete. Just give them some more time.
    Juergen
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    ha ha ha ha. Sorry, but do you really expect any more Kindle updates? We have already been told it will never come to the UK (why, I have no idea).

I'm pinning my hopes on pReader Native.

Alan
    All steps work for me,the question i have is some one earlier said you can use internalz to rename etc problem is my internalz doesnt see the file because its named mobi and not ipk am i missing something.
    Cheers
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    ha ha ha ha. Sorry, but do you really expect any more Kindle updates? We have already been told it will never come to the UK (why, I have no idea).

I'm pinning my hopes on pReader Native.

Alan
    yes I expect an update, likely more than 1 in the near future.

I don't expect sideloading to be coming in a kindle for webos update (unless I'm mistaken android doesn't support it either?)

preader does funny things with orientation so a tp version'd be great! The dev should sell it to make up for dev time..
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Quote Originally Posted by magog96 View Post
    It's still beta and therefore not complete. Just give them some more time.
    This. Also, send an email to Kindle Support asking NICELY for them to allow books to be side loaded into the app. The more people who email in asking for this, the more notice it gets.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast