Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Project Gutenberg is an obvious source for those who know it, you should check it out. Googling 'free ebooks' will make all of your wildest dreams come true.
    I agree. I have downloaded hundreds of classic books from Project Gutenberg.

Project Gutenberg - free ebooks
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    You can always open the epub using preader. It is not as good as the Kindle App (my opinion), but it is free.
    Has Preader been updated for the TouchPad yet? Last time I downloaded Preader it was still formatted for the phone and didn't stretch to full screen on the tablet.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
    Has Preader been updated for the TouchPad yet? Last time I downloaded Preader it was still formatted for the phone and didn't stretch to full screen on the tablet.
    YES! Fully customizable (font, colour, auto-scrolling etc....). In my view, much better than the Kindle app IMHO. The dev added a "Back" button to the drop-down menu to replace the back gesture. Awesome.
    Question about preader. Does it remembers books in the library or you have to load each time the TP restarted ?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by dilutedq View Post
    I do not have that option either. Also using pReader is not an option since tbh it is not very good at reading any of the ePub books I have, it also doesn't read PDFs. I have a bunch of technical ePub and PDF books I would love to use on my TouchPad that worked amazing on my IPad but I so far it is just a horrible experience on my TouchPad. I wish there was a way to just use the Kindle reader for all of them.
    Convert your e-pub & pdf books using calibre and convert to something that pReader uses. I previously used mobi, e-pub and a number of other formats with pReader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    YES! Fully customizable (font, colour, auto-scrolling etc....). In my view, much better than the Kindle app IMHO. The dev added a "Back" button to the drop-down menu to replace the back gesture. Awesome.
    Don't forget that it also scrolls. No need to swipe or tap to read your book. Just sit it on a stand and read. Nice lite screen, no need for book light. It's okay to do your nails, soak your feet, take a bath . . . and relax. You don't have to touch anything once you start the book.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Question about preader. Does it remembers books in the library or you have to load each time the TP restarted ?
    Yes. When you first open the ebook in pReader, it processes it. Thereafter, it remains in the pReader library, with bookmarks etc..., until you delete it.

The dev is working on a new version which significantly reduces the time it takes to add an ebook to the pReader library. Not a big deal for me as I only keep 10-15 ebooks in the library at any given time and regularly delete them after I have finished reading.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Getting back to the main topic, however, has noone been able to side load an ebook into the Kindle app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Getting back to the main topic, however, has noone been able to side load an ebook into the Kindle app?
    nope - that's the issue; which is why the thread went off course. Sorry about that. Looks like pReader is the only option right now.
    has anyone yet determined how to import files (e.g. .mobi) into Kindle? If not, what directory do I have to put files into for pReader or Quickoffice to find them? For that matter, why do .rtf files not have a mime association?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Simply download the file to the device using dropbox or USB mode or box.net. Then open pReader and follow the GUI to add files. pReader will automatically find all files with compatible formats.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    just got my touchpad and wanted to find this out.
    Sucks that there is not a true way to side load onto kindle yet, but I'll use pReader for now.
    Thanks for all the information!
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 08/14/2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I experimented with purchasing and downloading one of Eric flint's books in the 1632 series (which, incidentally, is a series that is uneven in spots but overall is very good and well worth your time) to both my touchpad via preader and my kindle first generation. The download comes via the Baen.com website.

The preader version was riddled with weird symbols and the occasional misplaced line. It wasn't impossible to read, but annoying. The download to the first generation Kindle was letter perfect.

It appears to me that there is an issue with preader recognizing and translating to the screen the words as set out in the mobi/kindle file.

I continue to be puzzled by the Touchpad's failure to have cutting edge pdf reading and annotating options, particularly given HP's stated goal of a product with enterprise potential. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I suppose we'll get there eventually, but I do consider it a little puzzling.

Amazon is supposed to be coming out with its own tablet this fall; you have to wonder how the various tablet manufacturers are going to react to a competitor's app on their product.

I think there is great potential in the enterprise field; no one has it locked down yet.
    I also found that when trying to use Preader i was getting all kinds of symbols, usually in the place of other symbols (quotes, brackets, etc.). Anyone know of a way to fix this ? Or is it just a matter of waiting for an update to the app ?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbafam View Post
    The preader version was riddled with weird symbols and the occasional misplaced line. It wasn't impossible to read, but annoying. The download to the first generation Kindle was letter perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtnova View Post
    I also found that when trying to use Preader i was getting all kinds of symbols, usually in the place of other symbols (quotes, brackets, etc.). Anyone know of a way to fix this ? Or is it just a matter of waiting for an update to the app ?
    Have you guys tried changing the encoding from UTF-8 to CP-1252(Latin) from the drop-down menu on pReader?
    Dear Quintus, if i was a lady i'd have your babies. since i am not, all i can do is offer my most sincere thanks.

(for some reason I was on CP-1252, switched it back to UTF-8 and BAM, proper formatting and symbols)
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    OK, I'm officially impressed. I mean really impressed. How on earth did you know that? Nice work....
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    How do you delete a book you've read and never want to see again? I see an Archive choice, but it's still an icon which appears on the screen. I didn't find a Delete choice.
    I too want a real solution to this, as I have a lot of books from my sony reader. I used the following hack and it works, although it's ugly. Here's what I did

1. download a few free books from amazon into the kindle app. Ensure you can open them in the kindle app
    2. Using Calibre, convert your desired book to .mobi
    3. Connect the touchpad to your PC via USB mode
    4. Copy the converted book to /media/internal/.palmkindle
    5. Rename the converted book to the name of one of your free downloaded books (e.g. myconvertedbook.mobi -> B002D48NUA_EBSP.asw)

The new book name will still be the same as the downloaded free book. You could even copy the cover art (.jpg) to /coverCache, naming the jpg to B002D48NUA-small.jpg to see the cover. You will be able to read the book ok... just remember which free download is your desired book.

As I said, it's ugly, but it works as a test.
    I'd really like a proper way to do it and load my books with the proper name.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast