1.    #1  
    I would really like for a developer to create an application for the Touchpad that does Telnet.

I'm a network tech at my college and have been working on a large wireless re-haul. Would love to be able to telnet into switches and change configurations with the touchpad that i bring with me everywhere.

would be a nice application for a dev to enter this contest with.

Box Mobile Developer Challenge offering $35,000 cash, HP TouchPads and other prizes for the best mobile apps | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    You can do that today with one of the following combinations from WebOS Internals:

A)

Xecutah + Optware Command Line Installer + Optware telnet

B)

Xecutah + Ubuntu chroot + Ubuntu telnet

It's not packaged in a convenient manner, but it works.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #3  
    awesome! the only issue is Preware has been having issues for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    awesome! the only issue is Preware has been having issues for me.

I seems you do not have a valid data connection, or a bad DNS server. You may also be behind a wifi hotspot which is not allowing data through.

In any case, the problem is your network connection, not Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #5  
    before i saw your post i uninstalled preware thinking to try and reinstall it, but it will not install now. i'm using quick install.
  6.    #6  
    i'm thinking it didnt uninstall properly when i did it. when i look in device management in webos Quick Install, it still shows preware as an application that is installed, bit when i try to uninstall it, it just says "Error" and disappears off the list.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can do that today with one of the following combinations from WebOS Internals:

A)

Xecutah + Optware Command Line Installer + Optware telnet

B)

Xecutah + Ubuntu chroot + Ubuntu telnet

It's not packaged in a convenient manner, but it works.

-- Rod
    i have xecutah and the command line installed but I cant find the optware telnet.

where is that and once its installed how exactly do I set it up?

I am going to need a bluetooth keyboard to use it?
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I got as far as trying to run ipkg-opt to poke around and try to find telnet, but no matter what arguments I gave it I never got any output other than the single line "Successfully terminated". Then I ran out of time.