Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    If I had any knowledge in this kind of stuff I would do it myself, and quit my day job, but unfortunately, I don't. So, instead, I'll pitch this idea to you braniacs, and let you reap my reward. (Actually, I'd still work; I love my job). Maybe you'll feel benevolent enough to throw something back my way when you make it big. Here's the premise:

At it's most basic level, build an app that tracks realtime cloud to ground lightning strikes. However, there are a few specialized features that would make an app like this a godsend to many professionals, especially, those in my field athletic training. Ideally, you can use the geo-location of the device to plot you're exactly where you are at, and give the user the availability to set up a defined radius (or multiple, I'm greedy) to be alerted with a clean little push notification when there has been a lightning strike in that given radius. Additionally, at that time, a 30 minute countdown is started, and you get another alert when the 30 minutes have elapsed. Get another strike within set radius, and clock resets to 30. If you could have a map view of all this plotting all of the recorded lightning strikes to toggle back and forth between, you would have a killer, and insanely useful app for many professionals.

I'm telling you I would easily pay $50 for this app annually, as would thousands of athletic trainers around the country. There are other similar things out there, but none comprehensive while also affordable. Look at DTN Meteorologix as a starter, or there is an app on the iPhone that is somewhat similar, but does not allow the needed customization.

I just hope when you're raking in all of this money in the future, separate from your prizes (do you really need 10 touchpads, how's 9 sound?), you remember to throw a bone to the hard working athletic trainer who pitched this idea to you.
    So how does it use the Box.net api?
    Hey...c'mon... Box.net is a type of cloud.

Yeah, I don't see this using box.net api.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    Ha! You assume I know what boxnet.api is. Perhaps you are subtly trying to convey I am asking for an app that has nothing to do with this mythical creature you call boxnet.api. I say, you are underselling yourself. You can figure this out. Make it happen

And even if not, don't miss the forest for the trees!
    Actually I really like the idea of the app. I could see that being a useful tool for your line of work.
    Well, I have some ideas, but I'm not a developer.

If some developer want to listen my suggests, he can win and just send a ToucHPad to me!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Ok man, let's take this slow.

Box.net offers rewards for new apps using their cloud storage service.

You come and tell us your app idea, which doesn't make use of Box.net's cloud storage service.

You're proudly displaying your ignorance of what an API is (and of what box.net is), telling us to make your idea come true.

Just to recap: the reward isn't for any old app, it's for apps interfacing with Box.net's service. So your app idea, while interesting, has feck all to do with Box.net's reward and nobody will give anybody money for it, except maybe a few bucks in the app catalog.

Just thought I'd clear this up.
    cawhalen likes this.