Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Hi,
    Is there an Epub reader for TouchPad ? I can't find one..

Thanks
    right now the only solution I know of is preader.

it is mojo based but the author recently updated it to run full screen.
    there is an alpha version in preware where the backend has been rewritten using the pdk so it is much faster.

there is also some ongoing activity to port the mojo ui to enyo...
    pReader is sweet! I use it on my pre2. Not sure how it looks on a TP though...
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    where do you guys save the files for Preader to see them?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    where do you guys save the files for Preader to see them?
    I just created a /ebooks folder and preader found them just fine.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    the mojo pReader works great on the touchpad. I have not yet tried the alpha/beta that is in the precentral feeds if it does full screen i would imagine it will be perfect.

Edit:
    Tested the native version that was created with the PDK and it only supports the smaller resolution devices. So as it stand preader in the catalog that is mojo bassed is your best bet for reading ebpubs for now.
    Last edited by jack87; 08/08/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    the mojo pReader works great on the touchpad. I have not yet tried the alpha/beta that is in the precentral feeds if it does full screen i would imagine it will be perfect.

Edit:
    Tested the native version that was created with the PDK and it only supports the smaller resolution devices. So as it stand preader in the catalog that is mojo bassed is your best bet for reading ebpubs for now.
    The native version is in the process of getting an Enyo rewrite as well as support for more formats. The developer is working as fast as he can, but just started a new job at Intel Germany so free time is "as available".
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The native version is in the process of getting an Enyo rewrite as well as support for more formats. The developer is working as fast as he can, but just started a new job at Intel Germany so free time is "as available".
    Thanks for letting us know :-). And congrats to the dev for his new position.
    MatterOfFactJack
    BTW the links for the pReader threads are:

pReader Mojo (and full-screen TouchPad)
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...doc-files.html

pReader native (and soon to be Enyo UI)
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html
    I just installed pReader and tried the mobi and the epub version of a DRM-less ebook and both show nonsese characters at the beginning of sentences and sometimes within sentences. Only two characters, same each time, and a with a hat over it and a symbol like the Euro but with an extra line. Anyway, makes reading impossible

Any ideas? Is there are pReader support line or forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrun View Post
    I just installed pReader and tried the mobi and the epub version of a DRM-less ebook and both show nonsese characters at the beginning of sentences and sometimes within sentences. Only two characters, same each time, and a with a hat over it and a symbol like the Euro but with an extra line. Anyway, makes reading impossible
    Trr changing the font encoding within pReader (pReader menu top left > Change Encoding). UTF-8 seems to solve the issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrun View Post

Any ideas? Is there are pReader support line or forum?
    Usually, text looks messed up because the text encoding is not properly set for the book. To change it, pull down the menu in the top left corner, select Change Encoding, set the encoding to either UTF-8, CP-1259, or ASCII. You want to try them in that order for English books. After you change the encoding & return to the book, you need to scroll a page for the change to take effect. For English books, one of those should work.

You will have to do that individually for each book you've already imported. To make it the default for all future imports, open the Preferences and set the encoding there.

You want to make sure you're using the latest version of pReader native. The version in the App Catalog is the non-native, MUCH slower, version. The best place to get it is in the official support thread - that's the latest version and usually newer than the version in preware. The official support thread for pReader native is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

To install it, go to that thread with the TouchPad browser, tap on the link to Sourceforge, tap on the .ipk file with the highest version number, then Internalz or preware will open to install it for you.

To add books to pReader, download books in a supported format (or copy them from your PC with USB mode). You want them in any directory in /media/internal/ or deeper. Open pReader. From the main, Library, screen, select Add Books, navigate to the directory that you put the books in, select (or select all) the books you want and import them. Once you've imported them, the original files are not needed and can be deleted to free up space if you desire.

pReader currently supports many non-DRM formats as well as eReader DRM. eReader files have a .pdb extension and can be gotten at eReader.com, Fictionwise.com, or BN.com. To get B&N files in eReader format, you have to download them with nook for Mac or the older BN eReader (NOT nook for PC) for PC. Support for mobi DRM and B&N ePub DRM is coming shortly.

If you have any questions or issues about pReader, the best place to go is the official support thread. The developer just started a job at Intel and his "free" time to look through the rest of the forums is pretty limited right now.

Hope to see you in the thread. We'd love to have you
    Yep, UTF-8 usually fixes the strange symbols, Preader is an excellent app, I reckon it beats anything I've used on Android and will open just about any eBook type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Yep, UTF-8 usually fixes the strange symbols, Preader is an excellent app, I reckon it beats anything I've used on Android and will open just about any eBook type.
    That flexibility, I think, is the main reason some people don't like it or are overwhelmed by it. There are so many options, some times it takes some tinkering to get functions & interface to be set the way that makes the most sense for any one individual.

Not having the default encoding set to UTF-8 is probably the single thing that frustrates new users and leads them to abandon pReader.
    Adding book and turning the page are very slow and non responsitive. But it is free and currently it seems to be the only choice. So I am still grateful to the author.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Preader is so horrible and buggy. I got it to open one book but turning the page was so slow. I don't understand how anyone can actuallyrecommend it. Is this the only ereader that exists for the platform? If it is then that's just sad.
    Like I said above, if you are using the version of pReader that is in the App Catalog, you are not getting the best experience because it is written with the SDK and is not a native app. You need to go to the official pReader native support thread and install the version linked in the first post using the directions I posted a couple of posts up.

The native version is faster to page because it caches multiple pages instead of a single page like the SDK version does so page turns are much faster - it doesn't need to take the time to load 1 page's worth of text, format it on the fly, then display - it's reformatted in the cache & just redraws the screen.

Importing books is many orders of magnitude faster with the native version. You can import 200 books in 5 minutes or less where the SDK version might take a minutes or more to import ONE book.

If you try the latest version of pReader native, I think you will have a much better experience than you did with the App Catalog version. You can find the latest version in the official thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html Just follow the steps in my post above for instructions.

If you run into any annoyances or something doesn't seem to make sense or work the way you expect, please drop in at the thread & ask about it. We might be able to figure something out that would make for a better experience. Hope to see you there
    preader native works in my touchpad
    Just adding my comment here to register the importance of this issue to me.

I appreciate the work of the preader programmer but it's nowhere near the polish of the Android apps like Aldiko or Moonreader, and I very much want something similar on my Touchpad.

I tried the on-line Bookworm epub reader today, and it seems to work decently well, but I really need all the bookmarking, note-taking, and navigating features that the Moonreader/Aldiko class can provide.

At this point (other than a reliable Office-compatible program that's more trustworthy than the current version of Quickoffice) the EPUB-reader issue is my biggest problem with Webos.
    Thanks for the info on setting the text encoding correctly!
    while installing it says its taking morethan 30 sec which is not normal bla bla bla
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast