Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am happy to announce a brand new Ampache app written specifically for the TouchPad called Ampache XL. The app is now available in the App Catalog and will be updated from time to time.

App Catalog link: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...bman.ampachexl

If you have not heard of it before, Ampache (Ampache :: For the love of music | Pour l'amour de la musique) is a very cool open source audio/video streaming application that you can install on your server and then have access to your full music collection from anywhere (assuming you set everything up to support that). It differs from the recent "cloud" music services from Amazon and others in that the music is only hosted on your local computer and goes directly to your phone/tablet/device instead of being coping to the cloud and then downloaded from there

The app is open source and is available for free in the App Catalog. Homepage: ampachexl - A webOS app for Ampache written in the enyo framework - Google Project Hosting

I only recommend running the latest public release version, but if you really want to try out the latest (untested) version or go back to an old version you should be able to download all the versions here: http://ampachexl.googlecode.com/svn/tags/ Any unreleased versions may have bad bugs or not be forward compatible with later versions, so use with caution.
    Last edited by thewbman; 08/03/2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: notes about downloading pre-release versions
    Do video files need to be in mp4 format in order to stream from your home PC to the TouchPad? I've considered looking into this before on my Pre and never got around to it, what sort of difficulty level would you classify setting it up as?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Excellent start man! One issue I found so far:

- The search box doesn't disappear and there's no way to get rid of it after you do a search

One feature I'd really like (similar to Ampache Mobile) is to hold down a song and be able to select "Play", and or "Queue Song". So that it doesn't queue up the entire list of results.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
    terrific start. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. The only issue I ran into setting it up was I forgot then/ampache. Then I couldn't edit an existing connection. Minor irritation, but happy to see an ampache app in the works.

thanks
  5.    #5  
    thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

- i havent added video support to the app yet, but the videos will need to be playable on the touchpad which most likely needs to be mp4 videos. unfortunately as far as i can tell the native video player on the touchpad is on par with previous phones and can only play limited things.

- getting ampache setup on your computer can take a little work. i have Ubuntu (linux) on my machine and all it took was a couple commands to download and set it up, but i dont know personally how difficult it is to do on Windows or OSX

- i am not sure why your search box isnt going away. it was working fine for me. if you still have issues after the next update let me know.

- i will add in a ability to edit hosts and try to warn the user if they missed the "ampache" directory.
  6.    #6  
    ive updated the app to 0.1.5 with a handful of changes. link is in the first post and here: http://ampachexl.googlecode.com/svn/..._0.1.5_all.ipk
  7.    #7  
    I've updated the app to 0.1.6 in the original post. i expect to submit the app to the catalog in the next few days.
  8.    #8  
    i've updated the link in the original post to version 0.1.7 now. it includes some big changes on queuing the next song which have not been fully tested. they seem to work OK for me, but I am not sure how robust the code is. if anyone is trying out the app and having issues please let me know (or if it is working well I would be happy to hear that too). in any case you can email me directly from the app menu.
  9.    #9  
    I have submitted the app the HP to put in the app catalog. I sent in version 0.1.9 which you can download in the original post if you want to get your hands on it immediately.
    very nice. I really like the simplicity of the dashboard controls. I also like being able to have the album art in the list, pretties it up a bit. The ability to change the settings is handy. Really there isnt anything bad.

thanks! I'll watch for it I'm the catalog and will give a favorite review.

to really class it up I recommend adding playlists on the fly, genres and a fancier now playing screen.
  11.    #11  
    thanks nyquistjack, glad you like the app. Hopefully it will be published in the catalog soon.

I will put in the album art on the now playing view next update, but if you have any other ideas for that view let me know. And I should be able to add genres pretty easily. Unfortunately there isn't a way to save playlists back months server, but I will look into at least saving playlists to the device
    Quote Originally Posted by thewbman View Post
    thanks nyquistjack, glad you like the app. Hopefully it will be published in the catalog soon.

I will put in the album art on the now playing view next update, but if you have any other ideas for that view let me know. And I should be able to add genres pretty easily. Unfortunately there isn't a way to save playlists back months server, but I will look into at least saving playlists to the device
    Yeah, I didn't think the server-based would work. But for me, just being able to store it on the device would be mighty nice. It's one of my all time favorite features in Music Remix 2.0.
  13.    #13  
    I will put local playlists on the todo list. Probably wont make it for the next release, but hopefully not too long after.

and in case anyone didnt see it, the app is now available in the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Even more reason to convince myself to get a TP.

I have never seen an answer to this. Does webOS 2 or 3 give mroe codec support? Specifically, I would really like to go back to transcoding to vorbis on Ampache.
    Finally got it to work very nice

It does not work with non-standard ports, I have Mediatomb "Non-Standard http Port" set to something other than 80 or 443...AmpacheXL will will not stream music on that setting even locally on my network. (I was able to access the files but I could not stream).
    AmpacheXL will not connect when I set the address to <ip:nonstandardIP/ampache>

I allowed remote access through 443 and set "Non-Standard http Port" to 443 and I am able to stream remotely.

PJ
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Even more reason to convince myself to get a TP.

I have never seen an answer to this. Does webOS 2 or 3 give mroe codec support? Specifically, I would really like to go back to transcoding to vorbis on Ampache.
    i don't recall seeing anywhere that says what codecs the TouchPad supports, but my general impression is that it hasn't changed much from the phones. i know i have some FLAC files and a few oddly encoded MP3s that the app fails to play on the TouchPad.
    does this support video?
    Sprint Love
  18.    #18  
    the original (and current) public release did not support video, but i submitted an update a couple days ago that does list videos. Be warned though the app only opens the standard webOS video player so the videos need to be in a format the touchpad can play.
    Any way to get my hands on that new version before the update is pushed? Sometimes the updates take a bit to get to the app catalog and I'm heading on a trip tomorrow and would love to have video playback.
    Sprint Love
  20.    #20  
    well it looks like the update (0.2.2) just got pushed overnight so you should be able to get the update from the official catalog. but I will make a note in the original post about how to download the app while under development.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast