Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    I just updated. the video works perfectly. awesome! thanks
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I can't get this to work on my ampache server. it logs into the server okay, and lists all the music, but when it comes time to actually play the music, the song title in the notifications area becomes "error playing file '(song name)'. the only slightly abnormal thing I can think of about my setup is that all my music is in FLAC, but I have transcoding working, and playback works fine on ampache mobile on my phone. What details can I provide to help troubleshoot this? if you need a login (and url) to my ampache server to help, I can certainly provide that.
  3.    #23  
    i am actually in the process of rewriting how the actual playback works. and by rewriting i mean taking the Ampache Mobile code and trying to get it to work with my app. there were several issues with how i had written things but since most people seem to have much better success with Ampache Mobile i figured I should just use his implementation. hopefully i should have that in place within the next few days.

if you would like you can send me your server information at ampache.help [at] gmail and I could see if my changes will help get your setup working.
    Thanks for the work. This is a great app. This question might be a little off topic. I'm just curious as to y ampacheXL has no errors when playing my music but when i use the ampache app on my phone certain files do not play and i get a media error code. What's the difference?
  5.    #25  
    actually I have been communicating with a user who is having the opposite problem, playback is working with Ampache Mobile on his phone but not playing anything with AmpacheXL on the TouchPad. But he is also unable to play music using Ampache Mobile on the TouchPad, so it seems to be related to the TouchPad itself. I don't know enough about how audio actually gets played on the device to say if I think it is software or hardware difference that makes the difference for people.

As it happens though, I have submitted an update to the app in the catalog that now uses a lot of the playback code from Ampache Mobile. I didn't thin my initial version was very robust so I combined some of Mobile's code into AmpacheXL and it has been working better for me. I would be interested to know if AmpacheXL still plays well with the new version that should be out within the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewbman View Post
    actually I have been communicating with a user who is having the opposite problem, playback is working with Ampache Mobile on his phone but not playing anything with AmpacheXL on the TouchPad. But he is also unable to play music using Ampache Mobile on the TouchPad, so it seems to be related to the TouchPad itself. I don't know enough about how audio actually gets played on the device to say if I think it is software or hardware difference that makes the difference for people.

As it happens though, I have submitted an update to the app in the catalog that now uses a lot of the playback code from Ampache Mobile. I didn't thin my initial version was very robust so I combined some of Mobile's code into AmpacheXL and it has been working better for me. I would be interested to know if AmpacheXL still plays well with the new version that should be out within the next few days.
    hmmm. interesting. I will let you know if anything changes for me after the update (i hope it doesn't tho! haha. I just want all my music to work on my phone :-P)
    I'm having a hard time getting it to work, it seems to connect to my server ok but it doesn't show any of the music and when I hit refresh I get the little circle and it just goes...and goes. It this because I have a large music library it's trying to load? Same thing happens on local network or remotely.

Just curious as I never had these issued on my handheld amdroid app or anything else.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzweb View Post
    I'm having a hard time getting it to work, it seems to connect to my server ok but it doesn't show any of the music and when I hit refresh I get the little circle and it just goes...and goes. It this because I have a large music library it's trying to load? Same thing happens on local network or remotely.

Just curious as I never had these issued on my handheld amdroid app or anything else.
    do you see the counts of songs, albums, etc on the left side of the app? if you aren't seeing those numbers then the app wasnt able to login. there is some error handling for a bad login, but i may not be catching all errors.

if the app is getting the numbers but never seems to load any data, it might by due to the size of your music library. the app first tries to load all albums, but if you navigate to another view before the albums load the app could get confused.

if you are willing i can try out your system myself and see if i can recreate the problem. my email is ampachexl.help@gmail
    Last edited by thewbman; 08/25/2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benklop View Post
    I can't get this to work on my ampache server. it logs into the server okay, and lists all the music, but when it comes time to actually play the music, the song title in the notifications area becomes "error playing file '(song name)'. the only slightly abnormal thing I can think of about my setup is that all my music is in FLAC, but I have transcoding working, and playback works fine on ampache mobile on my phone. What details can I provide to help troubleshoot this? if you need a login (and url) to my ampache server to help, I can certainly provide that.
    I am having the same exact problem as you. Have you found a solution? Thanks
    I've noticed that my flac files don't play, which leads me to believe that the app is having issues playing tracks that are transcoded. Or is this an issue with the Touchpad. The thing is, I don't receive any error messages. Instead, nothing happens when I click the track.

I noticed that the app was updated today. Does anyone know what changes were included in the update?
  11.    #31  
    (I am the developer of AmpacheXL.)

Based on working with another person who was having issues, it seems to be that the TouchPad has problems playing transcoded files. I am not sure if specifically why, they seem to be good MP3 files once transcoded but the Touchpad struggles with them. it might be related to the delay caused by the transcoding before the file downloads, but i am not sure. And error detection for failed playback is pretty spotty.

You could try using Ampache Mobile (not developed by me) made for phones and see if that works better. You can download it here if you dont have it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6733666/com...._0.9.6_all.ipk

You can see the changelog for each release by going App menu --> Help and scroll down.
    Hi:

Just want to let you know I created a new issue record at the Ampache XL project site. There I explain a problem I've been having since version 0.2.7 (including the still not published 0.2.8) regarding BT audio output. Hope my comments help a bit in correcting the issue.

Great app, really love it.

Thanks a lot for all your work.
    Hi,

i just installed the app, looks fine, thanks.

A few (quick) remarks/suggestions.

1. I've got a lot of ogg-Files on my Server. (Why is damn HP not supporting that???) I guess, the app just uses WebOS' codecs, so they won't play. Maybe the app should check for such things and provide some error feedback.
    I guess, I have to tell ampache to transcode oggs to mp3 As there some minor problems with mp3 playback, is there a other format i can use?

2. I'd wish be able to clear the play list with just touching one button. The fact I am not able to remove the current song from playlist (even if stopped or at the end of playback) I find irritating.

3. If the touchpads display off, maybe the announcement of new song/playback should be surpressed.

Thanks a lot again,

LK
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
    Hi,

i just installed the app, looks fine, thanks.

A few (quick) remarks/suggestions.

1. I've got a lot of ogg-Files on my Server. (Why is damn HP not supporting that???) I guess, the app just uses WebOS' codecs, so they won't play. Maybe the app should check for such things and provide some error feedback.
    I guess, I have to tell ampache to transcode oggs to mp3 As there some minor problems with mp3 playback, is there a other format i can use?

2. I'd wish be able to clear the play list with just touching one button. The fact I am not able to remove the current song from playlist (even if stopped or at the end of playback) I find irritating.

3. If the touchpads display off, maybe the announcement of new song/playback should be surpressed.

Thanks a lot again,

LK
    1. Based on reports from other users, the TouchPad doesn't seem to play even the transcoded ogg and flac files from Ampache. It doesn't work in AmpacheXL, Ampache Mobile (written for the Pre), or the basic music streaming app. Native support for ogg/flac would be great, but it is real annoying that the transcoded songs wont work either. It is frustrating as a developer, but only something HP can fix. And the error detecting for playback errors is pretty sparse - something I mean to fix at some point but not sure when it will really be robust.

2. If you want to replace the now playing list something new you can long-press on the list of new songs and choose a Play option instead of Queue. And you can change the default action in the preferences.

3. You can turn off the song notifications in the preferences. The app isn't aware of the screen being on or off, so the notifications are all or nothing. It might be something I could change for a future release.
    Thanks for quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by thewbman View Post
    Native support for ogg/flac would be great, but it is real annoying that the transcoded songs wont work either. It is frustrating as a developer, but only something HP can fix.
    Maybe not. The user Prenosicator is working on ogg support, yet it lacks tagging support. But, we do not need this for listening to streams.

I asked him for a package:
    XXXX://forums.precentral.net/webos-development/230318-additional-filetype-support-testing-flac-ogg-gsmwav-3.html#post3135044 (I am not allowed to post links. Dear OP, please sue me.)

LK
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
    Thanks for quick reply.

Maybe not. The user Prenosicator is working on ogg support, yet it lacks tagging support. But, we do not need this for listening to streams.

I asked him for a package:
    XXXX://forums.precentral.net/webos-development/230318-additional-filetype-support-testing-flac-ogg-gsmwav-3.html#post3135044 (I am not allowed to post links. Dear OP, please sue me.)

LK
    Well I guess there are some other options outside of HP adding support. In theory there could be some homebrew fix to add native the support for flac/ogg to the touchpad itself (and perhaps beef up the MP3 support). I think other apps have actually created there own full plugins that can read file formats itself and playback directly to the sound system. To use that in AmpacheXL I think I would need a plugin specifically built for streaming audio, which is beyond my coding skills. It would be nice to have, but I dont have a lot of hope for it being done.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3135044
    I cant wait to have this up and running on my TouchPad. Just having an issue adding a catalog...

Everything runs smoothly up until the point where I add the catalog on my computer. I enter the local path and add the catalog but it comes up with "Total Time [00:34] Total Songs [0] Songs Per Seconds [N/A]"...there are about 60k songs under that path so I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Has anyone had a similar issue or know how to fix this? thanks!
    When I try to stream a FLAC song (long press -> stream single song), it tries to play an ogg file, which is weird as ampache is setup to transcode to flac. Downloading it works, and creates an mp3 file (although the file size was too small, and the song was cut short).
    Thewbman,

Sending you a pm about adding FLAC and OGG streaming.
    Last edited by nyuepik; 09/13/2011 at 08:42 AM.
  20.    #40  
    @arvind0 The app isnt really trying to play an OGG file as an OGG file. the URL for the song just shows the original filename on your computer, which in this case happens to be OGG. The actual binary format of the music is whatever the Ampache server has trasnscoded the song into. And the app just makes everything it saves an MP3 file since I assumed all songs were either already MP3s or had been transcoded into MP3s.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast