webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > No Kindle app for the UK!
No Kindle app for the UK!
Like Tree4Likes

Old 08/07/2011, 08:17 AM   #41 (permalink)

I think i'll wait till aug end before using the workaround....btw - i'm streaming last.fm over the browser right now. Works fine.
60milesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2011, 07:10 AM   #42 (permalink)

My understanding is Kindle UK will be end of August.
db3.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2011, 11:01 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60milesmile View Post
I think i'll wait till aug end before using the workaround....btw - i'm streaming last.fm over the browser right now. Works fine.
What's the last.fm app I'd? Please
det66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2011, 11:20 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj View Post
Its utterly ridiculous that we're having to do such hacks as this. Why is it not out for all countries? surely the licensing is in place if the actual kindle and pc software is available!!
The question of why is a good one, but there's bound to be a reason... remember that the word is "by the end of August".

Maybe this is some sort of "launch" game they're playing. It's possible that the Kindle app available in the US now is still not as perfect as they'd like it to be, and that they're waiting to release the App in other markets until it IS as perfect. This would make sense because the huge launch push we've seen in the US has been completely absent in the EU.
So they had to give the TouchPad a working (albeit imperfect) Kindle app in the US so the people who bought one because of the commercials could have Kindle... while the only people who have a TouchPad here in the EU are the people who really, really, really wanted one. I haven't seen a single commercial here, so there aren't any Europeans who bought a TouchPad because of the commercials and might be disappointed because of the missing Kindle app.

Baseless conjecture, of course, but we'll see whether I was right if the Kindle app finally ends up hitting the EU officially and they're starting to advertise the TouchPad in the EU right around the same time.
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2011, 06:42 AM   #45 (permalink)

Interesting to see that Amazon have released a cloud based reader that works from a browser - Chrome & Safari so far - maybe they are focusing on doing away with the need for an app altogether?

Focus in the press so far has been on overcoming Apple App Store restrictions but a cloud based HTML5 reader that allows for offline reading would seem to make sense...
fubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2011, 07:09 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by det66 View Post
What's the last.fm app I'd? Please
its called last.fm in the cataloge - you can download for free but listening requires a 3 monthly subscription.

you can stream from the website for free mind (for now at least)

personally I think its worth supporting last.fm with the subs as they will then improve the app (dashboard controls please!)
60milesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2011, 04:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftereight View Post
App ID for Kindle is com.palm.app.kindle
Strange. Does not work for me Impostah always says "not found"
FischOderAal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2011, 04:25 PM   #48 (permalink)

I've read all the interestinf stuff re using Impostah to install the US Kindle App for the Touchpas in the UK, but despite installing Impostah correctly and searching for com.palm.app.kindle, all I ever get when I click 'Get Application Info' is 'Applicatioh com.palm.app.kindle not found'. I have checked and have version 3.0.0 of the system software installed.
Is there some setting in Impostah I've missed? Is the app no longer available via Impostah? Can anyone offer another app ID to check that Impostah is working ok?
PeteJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 06:43 AM   #49 (permalink)

I tried and failed to get the Kindle ipk this way too. I hope Amazon releases this for UK users.
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 07:47 AM   #50 (permalink)

It's not so bad for me. I prefer printed copies anyway. I just wanted it to read all the free classics
Old 08/25/2011, 08:46 AM   #51 (permalink)

I was very annoyed to find that the Kindle app isn't available, especially as it was featured on one of HP's UK-aired commercials. Pretty miss leading... I bought in pre-fire sale and the ability to avoid buying a Kindle helped me justify the outlay.
yalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 09:19 AM   #52 (permalink)

Yeah I was quite surprised to find no Kindle app. I had thought that worse case scenario (i.e. HP ditching WebOS entirely) at least I'd have a decent web browsing and kindle reading device for about the price of a kindle.

I emailed Amazon support asking why it was available in US for WebOS and other devices in UK, but they just said they understand and have passed my issue on.

Another possible work around is the new HTML5 kindle reader. I've already tested it on the TS and it says I need to be using Chrome or Firefox. If we could change the user agent string on the browser we could potentially get access to that. Any one know if that's possible on TS?
Armedjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Tatobest
Old 08/25/2011, 09:38 AM   #53 (permalink)

Hi,

I don't have access to the Kindle app, neither, because I'm from Germany.

Is it possible that someone from the US who downloaded the app can pack the app directory from his device for us? We could build an ipk with palm-package ourselves. Or does anyone have an ipk that can be given to us Euros?

Please help us!

Thanks,
EmKay

P.S.: If it's not allowed to post these packages publicly I would also appreciate a pm.

Last edited by emkay; 08/25/2011 at 10:50 AM.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by viper151 likes this.
Old 08/25/2011, 11:38 AM   #54 (permalink)

I concur, please help us
Old 08/25/2011, 11:55 AM   #55 (permalink)

Hi,

Just received my Touchpad, and couldn't get it to work through the earlier workaround either (because it was already updated to 3.0.2 when it arrived). Played around a bit, and got it to work!

Here's what to do on 3.0.2:

- Open Impostah
- Choose Activation
- Choose US, English, a new email address, and a password
- Tap Create Profile (then click yes through everything)

- Open up Impostah again
- Choose App catalog
- enter com.pal.app.kindle
- Get info
- Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
- Choose Activation
- Choose your own country, your preferred language, the email address of your original profile, and the password

Done!

I may have got some of the button labels wrong as I'm at work and can't double check right now, but you get the general idea.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jezarnold likes this.
Old 08/25/2011, 12:57 PM   #56 (permalink)

Didn't work for me.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 01:40 PM   #57 (permalink)

Did not work for me either, even trying com.palm.app.kindle
Tatobest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 03:46 PM   #58 (permalink)

sorry, it should be com.palm.app.kindle yes.

maybe this helps: between creating the new profile and installing the app I opened the app catalog briefly
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 03:49 PM   #59 (permalink)

Thanks for the instructions! It worked, although I needed to do one more step (in bold below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Hi,

Just received my Touchpad, and couldn't get it to work through the earlier workaround either (because it was already updated to 3.0.2 when it arrived). Played around a bit, and got it to work!

Here's what to do on 3.0.2:

- Open Impostah
- Choose Activation
- Choose US, English, a new email address, and a password
- Tap Create Profile (then click yes through everything)
- Tap Login
- Open App Catalog, which will prompt you to choose country. Choose US.

- Open up Impostah again
- Choose App catalog
- enter com.palm.app.kindle
- Get info
- Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
- Choose Activation
- Choose your own country, your preferred language, the email address of your original profile, and the password

Done!

I may have got some of the button labels wrong as I'm at work and can't double check right now, but you get the general idea.
Evgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by stbuerger likes this.
Old 08/25/2011, 04:13 PM   #60 (permalink)

It works *****eeeeeeeees Thanks a lot! After you choose "USA" in the app catalog you can download it via the App catalog as well You don't need to enter "com.palm.app.kindle" in Impostah
Thanked By: alan sh

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0