Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Where did you get the pReader update? It hasn't shown up in the Catalog yet for me (yes US catalog)
    It's in there now.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
    It's in there now.
    Okay, it's on. pReader in full TouchPad format. The only thing that I still need to make the device replace my laptop, and become my portable device of choice, is doc editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    I just installed kindle on the Pre Minus
    Too bad its not optimized for 320x480
    Really? How did you do it? Though I'm surmising from your second sentence, it might not be worth installing...
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I have been getting duplicates when the books are purchased, but not for the sample copies. It looks like I'll have to get the kindle software for my PC and have that set to be the primary reader and then pull things to the touchpad out of the archive. The other alternative is to deregister the touchpad and then sign in again.
    hmmm-my K3 is my primary reader so when I was at the Amazon site I had to use the dropdown to pick my TP. I am finding that when I download a book from archives I get a 2nd "bonus" unasked for, unrelated book downloaded (didn't happen when I sent the purchase right to the TP).
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I noticed tonight an update to the kindle app in the software manager.

anyone know what"s different? Looks the same to me.

[whoops this has come up in its own thread, please don't answer here, but in that thread. Mods delete?]
    Last edited by gastr; 07/21/2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: covered in another thread
    anyone know if a kindle app will be available for 2.2?
    from our friends at Amazon.

last week, I asked this: Your other Kindle apps support mobi files, but I don't see these books in my touchpad kindle app. Is this functionality coming? If so, do you have an expected date?

Kindle Support Response: "Hello, I'm sorry for any of the misunderstanding you had in regards to this issue.

Please note that currently you can't open mobi files or any personal pdoc files using any Kindle reading application"

Did they just lie to me? I have seen mobi files on EVERY other Kindle app and the Kindle device I use!
    Last edited by Midway99; 08/03/2011 at 04:53 AM.
    Looks like there is a termendous misinformation there...
    Still no kindle reader app here in Canada
    Anyone know if the Kindle App is written by HP or Amazon?

Curious who I report problems too, since Kindle (latest version) still doesn't play Kindle Vook (Video Book) video content. Thanks, Sorli...
    Looks like one of the webOS devs is making progress with Mobi and Kindle

joesacher.com Blog Archive Loading mobi books into Touchpad’s Kindle App
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post

Curious who I report problems too, since Kindle (latest version) still doesn't play Kindle Vook (Video Book) video content. Thanks, Sorli...
    Support is through Amazon, not HP.
    julbags likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Looks like one of the webOS devs is making progress with Mobi and Kindle

joesacher.com Blog Archive Loading mobi books into Touchpad’s Kindle App
    A little more detail than I put in that article. There are two plugins that the Touchpad Kindle app uses. A utility and the main processor. This has no problem reading the .mobi files I have. The only changes that would be needed is the ability to load books and coverImages into the directory and data about the book into the DB used by the App. I'm not going to pursue this too much, until the Kindle app is out of Beta. (They may add it, who knows.) But it should be possible as a patch to the app if they don't, because all of this functionality should be in the Enyo layer of code.

Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post

I can't answer that directly, but the namespace for the app is com.palm.app.kindle. This is done for two reasons: it was built by Hpalm or it need special rights. "com.palm" starting name spaces often get extra rights to do things on the device that they otherwise would not be allowed. We have seen some things that needed this name space there were not really written by Hpalm. However, it suggests that this might be an HP created app.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    anyone know if a kindle app will be available for 2.2?
    Since it uses hybid components, it would need to be compiled for the platforms. i.e. I don't think it could be sucked off the Touchpad and just loaded onto a Veer or Pre 3 (ignoring the UI size differences).
    Last edited by sacherjj; 08/03/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Anyone attempting the hack I posted on my site, please read the warning now linked at the end. I have found some mobi books will crash the App and require delete and reloading of the Kindle App.

It told me.
    You can pretty much format any book into any other format with Calibre. It's pretty easy to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You can pretty much format any book into any other format with Calibre. It's pretty easy to do.
    And then get the Touchpad Kindle app to read them how?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The mobi that I crashed the Kindle App with is from Calibre. But I think it was .mobi originally, so it didn't do any conversion.

I've switched to pReader currently, until I get time to hack on the Kindle app more. It works full screen on the Touchpad, just not quite a clean to used. And back is done with a Menu option.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    And then get the Touchpad Kindle app to read them how?
    Read up higher. Currently the only method I know of is hacking them over another book, as I posted on my site.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    check out a program called hamster for converting ebooks...
    Please avoid this program as it is a rip off of Calibre which is free and open soruce.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    I'm having an issue registering and haven't seen anybody else have this issue. Whenever I put in my (valid) Amazon.com credentials, it immediatelh pops up with:
    Registration Error: Not connected to the internet. Please enable networking and connect to the Internet before trying again.
    I am most definitely connected to the internet though, as I' writing this with my TouchPad right now! I've tried it at least 20 times, even with incorrect credentials, and get the same thing. I've done both a luna and a device restart, but no help. I even deleted it and reinstalled it in the hopes that it would fix it but nope. Currently connected to home WiFi with Comcast. I had Ad Blocker installed, but upon problems removed it (and restarted) and it still acts the same.

I have an Amazon account, but have never tried a Kindle or looked at any of the digital books.
    I have the same problem...on my Pre 3. Have you ever found the solution?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567