Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Isn't that true for all full screen apps, no notifications?
    Probably is true, but I think that's a major issue. I would expect that a book reading app would show notifications. I could easily see me "getting list" in reading something, and forget an appointment. I'd expect a WebOS device to notify me. Notifications are one of the major selling points.
    I also confirmed that if I order a book and have it delivered to something else, like Kindle for my PC, it will show up in my TouchPad's archive and I can then download it without duplication. Pretty crappy work around, but starts to narrow the problem down to purchases delivered directly to the TP.
    Has anyone seen if there is a dictionary that can be downloaded, and used to look up words on the Kindle app? This is a great feature on the Ipad version, if you highlight a word then the definition appears at the bottom without interrupting the layout of the book you are reading.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaNinja View Post
    Has anyone seen if there is a dictionary that can be downloaded, and used to look up words on the Kindle app? This is a great feature on the Ipad version, if you highlight a word then the definition appears at the bottom without interrupting the layout of the book you are reading.
    I hope someone can answer this as well. I downloaded the New Oxford American Dictionary thinking it might work, but no luck.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaNinja View Post
    This works on my kindle, but I have also not been able to figure it out on my touchpad, it might be there, but I am still getting used to the touch e-reader controls. If it is not there this is something one should submit to amazon and or HP for a request
    So since all my books on my kindle were sideloaded, I guess I am screwed getting them on the Touchpad app....
    Quote Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
    I've used Calibre to go the other way (from Amazon format to mobi) so that pReader could read it on my Pre. Not sure if you can start with a mobi.

Another approach would be if you to PDF your books. Kindle can read PDF...
    You can use Calibre to convert ePub books to the mobi format. The actual Kindle device can read the mobi format. I don't know if any of the mobile Kindle apps can read the mobi format.

A little side note: the Kindle app for the iPad can read ePub books. I hoping the Amazon will make this change across the board for all moblie apps.

Calibre is great library managemet program for DRM-Free eBooks. I'm currently using it to track of all my eBooks, converting my 1500+ lit books to the ePub format, and sending books to my Kindle. Calibre will automaticly convert any books sent to a device to the device format; for the Kindle I have the device format set to mobi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    check out a program called hamster for converting ebooks...
    I would recommand Calibre. Calibre is a great program. I normally do not donate to developers of free programs, but I did send $25 to the Calibre developers!
    Were people getting duplicates when buying books? I bought one and got one (no dupe) downloaded directly to my Touchpad (no going through the archives).

Also sent a feedback email requesting dictionary (which I'm sure is in the works - great feature of the traditional Kindle). There's a help page on the Amazon site for Web OS but doesn't mention the dictionary so I assumed for now that it's not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So since all my books on my kindle were sideloaded, I guess I am screwed getting them on the Touchpad app....
    I haven't tried this, but maybe it would work to just transfer the sideloaded azw files to the folder where the Kindle app stores things?
    I've tried loading a bunch of .prc and .mobi files directly into the .palmkindle directory on my TP...no luck, the app appears to just ignore them, and calibre doesn't seem to have an option to convert a .prc/.mobi into a .azw
    Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Kindle.ipk? It is still not release in Germany. This should not be breaking any rules since you can only read crap that has been bought on Amazon.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Re: the dictionary and looking up words. The kindle (and kindle apps that allow this) let you link/specify a dictionary to use for this. I haven't found this option (yet) in the webos kindle app so I don't think it supports the highlight/definition action (again .. yet). Hopefully its something they fix/add.
    Quote Originally Posted by cparsons1 View Post
    Were people getting duplicates when buying books? I bought one and got one (no dupe) downloaded directly to my Touchpad (no going through the archives).

Also sent a feedback email requesting dictionary (which I'm sure is in the works - great feature of the traditional Kindle). There's a help page on the Amazon site for Web OS but doesn't mention the dictionary so I assumed for now that it's not there.
    I have been getting duplicates when the books are purchased, but not for the sample copies. It looks like I'll have to get the kindle software for my PC and have that set to be the primary reader and then pull things to the touchpad out of the archive. The other alternative is to deregister the touchpad and then sign in again.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    For those waiting to add all their other ebook formats, .mobi etc, the kindle cannot sideload books as of yet. The physical Kindle can have a dedicated email address that can be used to send these other file types to the Kindle, but this is not an available option for the Kindle readers. I've heard there is a process on the Ipad/iphone, just placing the files directly in the application folder, but I think I've tried every folder so far using Internalz Pro to move the files. If anyone figures it out, AWESOME.
    I spent several hours trying two separate paths. The first was a download of a "free" kindle book to my PC Kindle application. I then attached via the USB drive and copied the file type ".azw" to the .kindle folder on the Touchpad. The TP Kindle app ignored the file. Attempt 2 was to move a .mobi book with Calibre to the .kindle folder. Again the TP kindleapp ignored the file. The import collections function reports no device from which to import. My kindle gen 3 with calibre works wonderfully with these same .mobi book files. Hopefully this is a bug which shall be rectified. If not pReader here we come.

Best
    Download Calibre it will convert many, many ebook formats and place them directly on your kindle: calibre-ebook.com A donate button is available.

Best,
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have tried Calibre, that's actually what I am using now, in conjunction with Preader (full screen), it's actually pretty good!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Just wanted to throw out my voice as another person wanting to sideload books into the kindle app. I have a bunch of nook books that I have already converted to .mobi files from epub. I can use them as pdfs on the Touchpad but I really like the Kindle interface and would love to be able to read them there instead. I too tried adding them to the kindle folder via usb, kindle for pc and emailing them to my kindle but no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    I have tried Calibre, that's actually what I am using now, in conjunction with Preader (full screen), it's actually pretty good!
    Where did you get the pReader update? It hasn't shown up in the Catalog yet for me (yes US catalog)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast