Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    "Multiple", I think is an understatement. I have each and every book listed, god only knows how many times. Thus making it almost impossible to simply browse thru all the books. I am seriously starting to doubt the ability of HP to deliver anything that actually works right.
    One word - beta
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One word - beta
    I suppose then, the TouchPad itself and webOS 2.x.x and webOS 3.x.x both, should also be referred to as beta. After all, not much really works quite right in either of them. webOS 2.x.x has now barely become useable with a lot of help from the homebrew community.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emcclem View Post
    not available in UK yet...
    i have it in the UK. installed it yesterday. maybe it's because i installed it *before* it was released, about a week ago. ie. you could go to the app catalog and install a placeholder app for it.

doesn't help you now i guess
    Editors should edit main page article with warning it's beta, if nothin' else ROW users will be less jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Found an easier fix, delete the Kindle app and then download and install. Kindle referenced not deauthorizing my TP before deleting and re-adding, but it took care of this, found the 40 or so items previously ordered from Amazon, all in the archive queue, and waiting to be downloaded. All have been downloaded again and with No Duplicates! Sorli...
    This worked for me. Now I have all of my books only listed once and I also have the book I purchased last night. Time to do some reading.
    So just to clarify, this kindle app only works with PURCHASED books from Amazon, right? You can't email/convert other file types to it?
    Sweet! I've just picked a couple out of my archives and all seems well. Had to refer to the review to get the navigation down but that took all of two seconds I've not looked at any maps (that don't render well on a Kindle) but I've got two cookbooks, one with yummy cupcakes photos (in color!) and one with reference charts and both look awesome! If it wasn't going to be almost 100 degrees out today, I'd be baking!
    I suppose then, the TouchPad itself and webOS 2.x.x and webOS 3.x.x both, should also be referred to as beta. After all, not much really works quite right in either of them. webOS 2.x.x has now barely become useable with a lot of help from the homebrew community.
    It's not the device that says it's beta. The Kindle App says it's a beta version.
    Apparently, you don't understand the definition of a beta product. It has nothing to do with how well it works, or whether or not some <<mod delete>> users are satisfied with the product. This thread is about the Kindle application, not the TP in general, and certainly not about WebOS 2.x.

The Kindle app is clearly labeled as beta. Reports of bugs/issues will likely be appreciated. General rants - not so much.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/19/2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: too personal
    cobrakon likes this.
    Unless I'm doing something wrong, apparently notifications don't work while reading a book. I noticed today that the WebOS top bar is gone while the app is active. I read several pages, minimized, and found I'd received three emails and a Skype message.

I seriously hope that either I'm doing something wrong, or that HP will fix this for the final release!
    The application is in a beta state, meaning it may not work 100% perfect and may have a few issues. With that being said we are always looking for reports of bugs customer feedback so that we can partner with Amazon on bringing a great app and user experience along with it.

If at any time you find a bug that you can consistently reproduce (something happening once with no path of replication is more of a coincidence than a bug) create log files and contact me so I can provide you with where to send them.

We will be collecting as much feedback and bug reports as possible so that we can filter that information back through Amazon.

With that being said that is not to say that you can't let Amazon know of the problem as well. In the top left hand corner there is a drop down menu and towards the bottom is two links you can use one for support and one for feedback. When it's all said and done it is a Third Party application developed by Amazon, so they will be the primary source of support, however we will assist wherever possible.

To create log files follow the below steps

1. Reproduce the issue
    2. Launch device info
    3. Select menu
    4. Select diagnostics
    5. Select menu
    6. Select collect logs

Once you have the log files you can contact me for where to send them to I will then provide you with an email address to send the log files.

Also always take note of what time you reproduced the issue. Log files can contain tons of information so it will always help to be able to pin point where the exact error happened.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Installed it today in the UK without problems. Like it better than the Kindle app for iPad since you have the ability to create collections which means I can finally separate my wife's Mills'n'Boon cr*p from my Science Fiction cr*p.

As stated - all existing books were flagged as archived until I downloaded them. Touch and hold to assign to collection. Swipe to delete (after second confirmation).

Only issue I had was that the card that popped up when I went to the Kindle store was amazon.com, but I just moved to amazon.co.uk and bought a book. Appeared once I re-synched in the app without issue.

Now - will look to see if I can use Calibre and the Kindle email account to push other books in.

Paul.
    So I've got one I haven't seen discussed yet...

I was getting the duplicates issue, uninstalled the app via the software manager, and then downloaded and installed the app again.

On first restart of the app, and now after yet another uninstall, the app simply displays the following message:

Deregistering Device
    The application was closed before this device was deregistered. Please wait while yoru device finishes the deregistration process.
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    So I've got one I haven't seen discussed yet...

I was getting the duplicates issue, uninstalled the app via the software manager, and then downloaded and installed the app again.

On first restart of the app, and now after yet another uninstall, the app simply displays the following message:
    So, on a lark I decided to see if the current bug in application uninstallation could solve my problem and it actually worked.

I uninstalled via the launcher, and then reinstalled the app again and I was allowed to re-register and view my library without duplicates.
    sorli likes this.
    I had the duplicate book issue, so I attempted to uninstall the app. Only it froze when I did so. Then, when I rebooted it, the app just remains on the initial screen. It doesn't give me the option to log in, it just hangs there.

Any suggestions on fixing this?

edit: Never mind, I simply had it delete apps and data and that fixed both problems. Only a minor annoyance, since I have so many accounts to log into again.

It was throwing up an error telling me I wasn't authorized to open the book. It wasn't in the software manager at all, so after installing it again it works perfectly.

I'm so glad this is a beta and not the full app.
    Last edited by eryntzun; 07/19/2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
    So after playing around with this a bit more, for me, the duplicates issue seems limited to the free items I've purchased and had delivered to the TP. If I deregister the app and then re-register the duplicates disappear. No uninstall/re-install necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    So after playing around with this a bit more, for me, the duplicates issue seems limited to the free items I've purchased and had delivered to the TP. If I deregister the app and then re-register the duplicates disappear. No uninstall/re-install necessary.
    Figures, I should have been more patient.

Now I just need to figure out how to get all my other books into the thing. I guess I'll attempt conversion via one of the suggested programs tonight, because copy pasting simply isn't working.
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
    HardBeatz, can you confirm something for me please? In February, you guys demoed this app pointing out that the pages turned with animations. However, they do not now in landscape mode but some say they do in portrait mode. I emailed Amazon about it through the drop down link you mentioned and they told me it was a webOS problem, that webOS doesn't support page animations. Can you confirm this? Why was it supported in February in landscape and not now? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    HardBeatz, can you confirm something for me please? In February, you guys demoed this app pointing out that the pages turned with animations. However, they do not now in landscape mode but some say they do in portrait mode. I emailed Amazon about it through the drop down link you mentioned and they told me it was a webOS problem, that webOS doesn't support page animations. Can you confirm this? Why was it supported in February in landscape and not now? Thanks.
    I don't know the specifications as to why things don't work exactly like they should, however I do know that page animations work in portrait, but not in landscape. If that is a webOS issue or if it is a current support with the beta kindle application.

I know it's well known internally that it doesn't work in landscape, however does in portrait, but as to where that is going I can't speak outside of the fact that the beta application in it's current iteration doesn't support page animations in landscape, however in portrait they should work fine.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Unless I'm doing something wrong, apparently notifications don't work while reading a book. I noticed today that the WebOS top bar is gone while the app is active. I read several pages, minimized, and found I'd received three emails and a Skype message.

I seriously hope that either I'm doing something wrong, or that HP will fix this for the final release!
    Isn't that true for all full screen apps, no notifications?
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast