Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am surprised there is nothing about this, but I was able to install a quickoffice update, the MovieStore, and PressReader last night. The quickoffice update made no noticeable changes, the HP MovieStore just says "Leave this installed, there will actually be stuff when you open the app at some time in the future" and PressReader basically just doesn't work (won't finish downloading any newspapers). In fact, I have now wasted 3 of my "Free" downloads, trying to get the only 3 newspapers I have tried to download to actually work. I deleted them and decided I would just retry, and those credits were never restored (you get to try 5 issues for free, I guess you have to pay after that). Awesome.

I also wanted to add that Evernote, Read it Later, Newsroom, and Nook apps would be awesome. I know that HP is working with Amazon on a kindle app, but there are a LOT of us that use the Nook, too. And I would love to have my Nook WSJ subscription available on the TP, and use the nook to read it when I am in the sun. I know that these things have been said before, but I plan to state it in multiple places, so that developers know that there is some demand out there.

UPDATE: While I was typing this out, after about 7 tries, I finally got a newspaper to download in PressReader. Wooooooooo...

UPDATE2: PressReader is once again refusing to download newspapers. Also, I just wanted to add one thing about Glimpse and all the gushing for it. <<staff edit>> That is all Glimpse is, a less convenient way to access widgets. Anyhow, that's just my personal opinion. I like Glimpse, and I use it, but you would think it was some revolutionary breakthrough with the way that people are talking about it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/18/2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: updated title
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    How do you get "free" apps?
    I don't seen any new apps yet. I checked my updated apps of which there were 5 but they were non-HP apps I had downloaded. I've had the MovieStore place card since Day 1 (like the Kindle app). I think Quick Office updated a week or two ago. I'm not familiar with PressReader.
    What version of Quickoffice do you have installed?
    so basically to sum up the ops post.. The apps arent actually out yet. No cause for alarm.
    noelb and k4ever like this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    the apps aren't there for me to download now.
  7.    #7  
    The apps are available for download if you click the download links in Pivot. I did not have the movie store place holder, interesting that others did. The update for QO didnt appear for me in the software manager, but also in Pivot. I will have to check the version later.
    reggieb. The apps for download are just placeholders. They arent the updates that will be released sometime later in the week. Quickoffice received a minor update last week (or a little earlier). There is no news about this because well, there is no news.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    reggieb. The apps for download are just placeholders. They arent the updates that will be released sometime later in the week. Quickoffice received a minor update last week (or a little earlier). There is no news about this because well, there is no news.
    welp, that explains it, then. It seems weird to me that they would eve have "placeholders," but whatever.
    I suposse that those are apps planned to be bundled, and they're putting placeholders because of that.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

There's a new "HP Care Package" app out now. It's an interesting idea, having an app to sell the extended warranty on the device, but I suppose in a time when most sales are going to be online, it might be necessary.
    I dont even get the placeholders.. Cant see anything in there
    I installed a few of those apps a few days ago,,,movie app,,etc,,,,,,didnt know they were new. I just got my touchpad last week though.
    I would LOVE a nook app. I dont use kindle but I have a nookcolor.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    welp, that explains it, then. It seems weird to me that they would eve have "placeholders," but whatever.
    The software manager on the device checks the app catalog periodically for updates and when these placeholders are updated to become functional apps, you will get a notification to download the updates.
    That's lame, having a placeholder package. They should've at least put some teasers or demo videos. Is that really all it said, "Leave this installed, there will actually be stuff when you open the app at some time in the future"?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That's lame, having a placeholder package. They should've at least put some teasers or demo videos. Is that really all it said, "Leave this installed, there will actually be stuff when you open the app at some time in the future"?
    No argument there. Get your hopes up high then find out that what you really have is a waste of space in your application launcher.

The real Kindle App is out right now. It looks good and there is a thread started on it. One down for me, three to go. Still waiting on document editing, Amazon MP3, and the Movie Store.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That's not word for word, but it was something along those lines.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    PressReader is working great for me. I'm getting the San Francisco Chronicle and China Daily for my wife. Love it.
    Audiophile HD and CBS Interactive HD also have updates this morning! Am chomping at the bit to have the new Audiophile playing whilst sitting back reading one of my eBooks in Kindle...
    HP Movie Store should be coming out in the US app catalog this week.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast