Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I think if we want apps on the TouchPad it's up to us to let the companies know we want to use their products.

Here is the phone number to reach Netflix: 1-866-716-0414
    It's open 24/7 and I called and they do pass on suggestions and I suggested the release a TouchPad app.

Reed Hastings is the CEO of Netflix and can be contacted at reed.hastings@netflix.com. If we keep telling Netflix that we are their customers and want their product it won't do anything but help push them to develop a webOS app.
    You should also be notifying HP about this too. It should have been on their shoulders to dedicate resources and or money to have a Netflix app on the TouchPad at launch. This is a huge name app (at least in the US). Can you blame Netflix for not wanting to use their resources on making an app for a platform that is flailing???

Netflix was one of the reasons I went with iPad2 over TouchPad. Sorry, I would not drop $600 on a device that couldn't do what I need it to at the time of purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I think if we want apps on the TouchPad it's up to us to let the companies know we want to use their products...
    While I agree with the basic concept, I'd drop the "demand" part.
    Midway99 and jahjahlove like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz View Post
    You should also be notifying HP about this too. It should have been on their shoulders to dedicate resources and or money to have a Netflix app on the TouchPad at launch. This is a huge name app (at least in the US). Can you blame Netflix for not wanting to use their resources on making an app for a platform that is flailing???

Netflix was one of the reasons I went with iPad2 over TouchPad. Sorry, I would not drop $600 on a device that couldn't do what I need it to at the time of purchase.
    Personally, I'm glad that HP didn't dedicate resources to an app that makes them nothing, and makes the subscription company money every month. (Especially since I don't subscribe to Netflix).

Someone is going to be providing a movie service to those users that bought TouchPads. If Netflix doesn't see a reason to market their service to those users, I'm sure someone will come along (assuming there's really a market).
    Apps like that don't 'make them nothing' by any means. Apps like that draw in purchasers and sell products. I subscribe to Netflix, but get it on my TouchPad by using PlayOn. But, having apps on a device like Netflix are not a waste of resources for a company if that app helps draw people over to their device.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Apps like that don't 'make them nothing' by any means. Apps like that draw in purchasers and sell products. I subscribe to Netflix, but get it on my TouchPad by using PlayOn. But, having apps on a device like Netflix are not a waste of resources for a company if that app helps draw people over to their device.
    Well .. I have to disagree with on that.. Because.. I could care less about a netflix app on the Touchpad...

Since I don't have a TOUCHPAD!! =P

Maybe if there where a atm app that spewed money out of the micro usb port.. THAT would sell Touchpads.. But I still wouldn't buy it.. Damn rent!! @&?%$!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    guys, i am 100% sure that HP has been working and is working on getting netflix on touchpad. I am willing to bet money on it.
    how much is playon? How well does it work on touchpad?
    Cost depends on if you purchase it monthly, or a lifetime license. I PlayOn at home to stream Netflix, Hulu, and tons of other stuff.. and now use it to stream to my TouchPad.

There are a couple of threads about it right now...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...media-fix.html

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-video-tv.html
    I just emailed Netflix. It did not take that long and I am off to living my life...seriously everyone. It is a good idea to let companies know of interest from customers (that is what apple fangirls did and it worked for them). I know some people will look at this post and say shut up, but if you do, just leave this thread and you will be alright...or make a difference and email, call, write, smoke signal Netflix/AnyCompanyYouWantAnAppForWebOS that you are interested.

Thank you, and Good Night.
    That is the only app I want for the touchpad. I suspended my subscription for the moment and got the amazon instant for a year. They had a deal going on for $39/yr. It works on the touchpad, so I'm okay for now.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I guess a temporary fix where we can get our browser to act as a PC browser, the netflix site would work, and would give us the ability to watch at least during the interim while waiting for an app.
    Thread title changed from demand to request
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Cost depends on if you purchase it monthly, or a lifetime license. I PlayOn at home to stream Netflix, Hulu, and tons of other stuff.. and now use it to stream to my TouchPad.

Do you know, does PlayOn simply pay a royalty to the other services like Netflix? If you stream only (Netflix), do you pay Netflix $0 directly? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    After the pricing increase just announced by Netflix (up to 60%, depending on your plan), I am not so sure I require Netflix as an app anymore--still trying to decide. 10% would have been realistic, but 60% seems quite a bit w/o having a MUCH better streaming selection.

Amazon Prime, PlayOn, etc. become much more of a player to me than they ever were before. If I communicate w/Netflix, it will also be about their pricing changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Do you know, does PlayOn simply pay a royalty to the other services like Netflix? If you stream only (Netflix), do you pay Netflix $0 directly? Thanks.
    I have no clue, but I'm sure you can find the answer either in their FAQ's or on their forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Well .. I have to disagree with on that.. Because.. I could care less about a netflix app on the Touchpad...

Since I don't have a TOUCHPAD!! =P

Maybe if there where a atm app that spewed money out of the micro usb port.. THAT would sell Touchpads.. But I still wouldn't buy it.. Damn rent!! @&?%$!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dude, you should move in with your parents! Seriously, check with some of the others on here, great way to save money!

Seriously though - Yeah, I was a little harsh about "makes them nothing", I'll agree. However, Netflix is a bit different. First, because of the DRM issue, even if HP were to decide to devote resources to the application, Netflix would have to work with them. But from a business point of view, Netflix would gain far more from such a collaboration than HP would, since whatever soulution HP came up with, Netflix would/could use on other platforms as well. Finally, HP is introducing a competing service. They want us to use that.

In short, it's really not (in my always humble opinion) on HP's shoulders to provide this - it's on Netflix's.
    Not sure how PlayOn gets away with streaming the stuff they stream. I have a Roku streaming box at home, and Roku was compelled to remove Playon as an official channel. Playon is actually a work around apparently legally using internet available content and allowing it to be streamed to mobile devices, etc., which is what has some of the owners of the other offerings upset.

In the case of Netflix, (to my understanding), you must already have a Netflix account in order to stream Netflix through Playon. The same is true for Amazon On Demand, and a couple others. The rest are available offerrings via the internet.
    All for One and One for All!
    After the pricing increase just announced by Netflix (up to 60%, depending on your plan), I am not so sure I require Netflix as an app anymore--still trying to decide. 10% would have been realistic, but 60% seems quite a bit w/o having a MUCH better streaming selection.

Amazon Prime, PlayOn, etc. become much more of a player to me than they ever were before. If I communicate w/Netflix, it will also be about their pricing changes.
    To my understanding they only raised the mailing option. The internet option was not raised. Of course, the mailing option has many more movies available. My personal opinion is that it is Netflix's hope to end mailings at some point and go 100% streaming, but that is just my opinion.

Did you figure out how to do this with a static IP address yet? If you do, please enlighten us here in the forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast