Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    PLayon does not pay anything to netlifx. They basically take the video from the session on your machines browser (where you have playon installed) and transcode it to whatever they use and bring it to your device. All netflix notices is that your browser is your PC's internet explorer session.

Keep in mind they can't guarantee any of their services will continue to work. If netflix changes something that breaks Playon then the Playon team has to scramble to work around it. Unless they changed something in the past 6 months, that is how it used to work. With that being said, these guys do a great job of fixing an issue in a timely fashion if something does change. I just paid for the premium version has I have been a basic version user for at least 1.5 years.

-Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    To my understanding they only raised the mailing option. The internet option was not raised. Of course, the mailing option has many more movies available. My personal opinion is that it is Netflix's hope to end mailings at some point and go 100% streaming, but that is just my opinion.
    Not really. They substantially raised to price to get both. It used to be that if you had any but the cheapest of the disk-by-mail options, streaming came for free. If you got just streaming, it cost about the same as the cheapest disk-by-mail option.

Now they have separated the pricing, so you pay for both if you have both. They have slightly reduced the prices for the mail-only options to offset that. Since I had the "unlimited one disk at a time" option, which included streaming, my fee will go up by about 60% if I keep both parts. I'm torn, because I actually get a lot more use out of the disk-by-mail part, but I love the convenience of the streaming subscription, even if they often don't have what I want to watch. I expect I will shop around for other streaming vendors, and probably cough up the additional fees to Netflix, and hope they use them to buy more streaming rights.

And in shopping for tablets, I am absolutely looking at which tablets I can stream video on. That seems like one of the best uses of a tablet. (Also, play stored video, for use on an airplane, or even on the train.) My guess is that Netflix is uneasy about WebOS because it's too "hacker-friendly", and they are concerned that their DRM will be violated.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Not really. They substantially raised to price to get both. It used to be that if you had any but the cheapest of the disk-by-mail options, streaming came for free. If you got just streaming, it cost about the same as the cheapest disk-by-mail option.

Now they have separated the pricing, so you pay for both if you have both. They have slightly reduced the prices for the mail-only options to offset that. Since I had the "unlimited one disk at a time" option, which included streaming, my fee will go up by about 60% if I keep both parts. I'm torn, because I actually get a lot more use out of the disk-by-mail part, but I love the convenience of the streaming subscription, even if they often don't have what I want to watch. I expect I will shop around for other streaming vendors, and probably cough up the additional fees to Netflix, and hope they use them to buy more streaming rights.

And in shopping for tablets, I am absolutely looking at which tablets I can stream video on. That seems like one of the best uses of a tablet. (Also, play stored video, for use on an airplane, or even on the train.) My guess is that Netflix is uneasy about WebOS because it's too "hacker-friendly", and they are concerned that their DRM will be violated.
    Exactly. if you only streamed before & only stream now, not much--if any--difference. But for those that got both, and the example you gave 1 disk at a time & streaming, the price INCREASES 60%. This is w/o improvement, as far as I can tell, to their streaming library, which is still very limited.
    Last edited by Mike5; 07/18/2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    To my understanding they only raised the mailing option. The internet option was not raised. Of course, the mailing option has many more movies available. My personal opinion is that it is Netflix's hope to end mailings at some point and go 100% streaming, but that is just my opinion.
    Most started w/the mailing option as streaming came later. Many, many of the disks they can mail you are still not available via streaming. When I look at my queue, for example, I have 30 disks in the queue. ONLY 5 of the 30 can be streamed via Netflix.

Of 7 titles I have is a queue waiting for DVD release, only 1 is available for streaming (an older classic, not on DVD).

If Netflix wants to be 100% streaming, they have a LONG way to go.

As for the Netflix pricing increases, depending on the plan you have, the price may increase by as much as 60% by September 1st. if you are a new subscriber, you will see the increase immediately--of course, you won't know it is an increase since you are new to the service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Exactly. if you only streamed before & only stream now, not much--if any--difference. But for those that got both, and the example you gave 1 disk at a time & streaming, the price INCREASES 60%. This is w/o improvement, as far as I can tell, to their streaming library, which is still very limited.
    I think they sold a streaming-only option, but I doubt they had many customers for it. There is so much more available in their disk library, and the price differential was very small to get both. I think you have to view this as a huge increase in the price of streaming for all the customers who have some plan that includes disks, because that must be almost all of their (current) customers.

And yet, I expect I will pay it. I'm a huge fan of Netflix, and even at the new price, it's a decent deal. (Of course, most of what my family streams is stuff that my son streams. Hmmm, maybe I can get him to pay for part of it. . .)

Netflix clearly is trying to become a solid streaming-only company, but I agree, they have a long way to go. A lot of the difficulty is getting rights from the producers. Their disk-by-mail business benefited from a court ruling that content-owners who sold DVDs to the general public had to also sell to Netflix. They don't have a similar "in" to license content for their streaming service.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguyslim View Post
    That is the only app I want for the touchpad. I suspended my subscription for the moment and got the amazon instant for a year. They had a deal going on for $39/yr. It works on the touchpad, so I'm okay for now.
    That's cool and a great price for Amazon Instant. Is that Amazon Prime the same as Amazon Instant? I need to do some more research, but looks like Amazon Prime has some real new content that always took Months on Netflix or required DVD Mailing that took even longer. Netflix sucked content wise when came to streaming new movies and I'd love a newer movies and better options. I'd also love some more input on what you get with Amazon Instant and how it works on webOS interface wise (I'm guessing Flash). Either way, thanks! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Amazon instant has a subset of what Netflix has btw
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post

You are correct. It was the mixed plan that was raised. My bad.
    All for One and One for All!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Most started w/the mailing option as streaming came later. Many, many of the disks they can mail you are still not available via streaming. When I look at my queue, for example, I have 30 disks in the queue. ONLY 5 of the 30 can be streamed via Netflix.

Of 7 titles I have is a queue waiting for DVD release, only 1 is available for streaming (an older classic, not on DVD).

If Netflix wants to be 100% streaming, they have a LONG way to go.

As for the Netflix pricing increases, depending on the plan you have, the price may increase by as much as 60% by September 1st. if you are a new subscriber, you will see the increase immediately--of course, you won't know it is an increase since you are new to the service.
    As I said, it was just my personal opinion. Your points are all valid. I acknowledged that the mail option had far more movies. However, I think it is the next step in the evolution. First local Mom and Pop video stores, then big box video stores, then Netflix mail option, and now internet streaming. The growth of their internet streaming has been unparalled and hasn't gone un-noticed as the advent of so many other internet streaming companies have now shown (e.g. Apple, Amazon, which by the way, is whose servers Netflix uses to stream video, Google, Zediva, etc.). Right now the movie and television studios are fighting to keep from losing any rights to their content and more importantly, rights to making more money. The same thing has been happening in the music industry. I believe however, that the studios are already and will more so in the future, accept that they aren't going to be getting as much income as they once did. DVD and Blueray sales have fallen way off as a result of internet streaming and movie mailings. But again, this is just my opinion. Sometimes technology moves so fast, that industries are rendered irrlevant, such as the local video store. Enough of this though as it is digressing from the thread's topic.
    All for One and One for All!
    I would like to have the ability to directly (not through another computer/device) view NetFlix on the TouchPad. A Silverlight plugin for the browser would be ideal, but the chance of that happening is slim to none, so a dedicated app is needed.

I think there is another thread about calling NetFlix customer support and putting pressure on them. I couldn't find it so I will post my comments here. Does anyone have a valid email to NetFlix? I don't want to sit on the phone with some low level employee that will be gracious with me, but probably won't forward my call and can't do anything from their end to fix this issue. I figure blowing up their inbox might get us some @$mn support!

I'm tired of paying NetFlix every month and I can't access it from my primary media device (my TouchPad). I have NetFlix on my PlayStation 3, but my family only fires it up occasionally on the weekends. The other 5 days of the week, we are all on our tablets (2 TouchPads and 1 Archos 70) in separate rooms playing games or watching videos. Only the Archos 70, which belongs to my daughter, has the ability to view NetFlix videos. She doesn't pay the bills.

I don't understand why NetFlix hasn't developed an app for the TouchPad yet. Please don't give me that dead OS/device crap. There are close to 1 million TouchPads in users hands. That's about 4 percent of NetFlix' total user base number and greater than the number of users NetFlix lost with their price gouging stunt. There is no financial lost for NetFlix by developing a TouchPad or webOS app. They will also make a million people happy. I don't want to boot into CM7 (I uninstalled it anyway) or any of the other work-arounds just to watch a NetFlix video. I want a @$mn app or I will rethink paying them my hard earned money!
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    There are close to 1 million TouchPads in users hands.
    I see this number cited everywhere without consideration when I understand it's 1M total made, with plenty of unsold units on the market by hoarders, units being used to support HP's bundling, etc.

Before quoting numbers, cite a reliable industry source--and I'm not talking a blog, either--that has concrete, proven numbers on sell-through or stop using them altogether. It makes arguments for/against webOS look silly.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    According to IDC Q3 market share of HP Touchpad was 4.5%
    According to Digitimes 18.7 tablets sold in Q3

Therefore Touchpad sales were close to 850,000

Considering After September or end of Q3 more TPs were sold through employee, developer and other programs. The total sales are close to 1 MM if not beyond it.

The guy is spot on who mentioned sales of 1 Million. Do not discredit someones statement if you dont proof to say otherwise.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    One day letter no one wants netflix?
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1229 View Post
    One day letter no one wants netflix?
    Most all of us want netflix...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    When the touchpad was initially released, I asked the HP lady at best buy if it had Netflix. Her "official" reply: "Once there are 25,000 touchpad users, the app will be released".

She fibbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1229 View Post
    According to IDC Q3 market share of HP Touchpad was 4.5%
    According to Digitimes 18.7 tablets sold in Q3

Therefore Touchpad sales were close to 850,000

Considering After September or end of Q3 more TPs were sold through employee, developer and other programs. The total sales are close to 1 MM if not beyond it.

The guy is spot on who mentioned sales of 1 Million. Do not discredit someones statement if you dont proof to say otherwise.
    I'm surprised you're so sure of those numbers, because you've got it all wrong. Normally the burden of proof is on the person making the claim and not the one questioning it, but I'll bite by dismantling and proving those numbers are way off with the exact same information you're using as the basis of your claim. And then I'll give you the right numbers, sourced and everything.

First, those 4.5-4.7% market share and 1,000,000 sales claims were forecast estimates made by IDC in September before Q3 even ended. Look here and read closely: Winter for webOS, winter for Droid, but springtime for iPad! € Channel Register

Second, you mention Digitimes' 18.7M also. Look at the (e) in the chart next to 3Q11; it means "estimated." They're representing an estimate as fact, and more importantly those are shipments not sales. Those are useless numbers for determining sell-through and discredit your entire estimate. Source: Digitimes Research: Global tablet PC shipments reach 18.7 million units

Finally, since you're asking for proof of numbers actually sold, here's a cold splash of water on those claiming 1,000,000 Touchpads were sold:

With just 1.2 million tablets sold at retail across every company outside of Apple, HP was the leader in the country at 17 percent, or 204,000, sold between its launch and October. The low count suggests that the fire sale $99 TouchPad, not HP's Windows range, was the sales leader by going on clearance.
    Let me reiterate: Only 204,000 HP Touchpads were sold all year. And it's a sourced, provable number I can cite with a fresh new report that states facts rather than forecasts.

The Source: NPD: Samsung Galaxy Tab sales low enough that HP outsold it | Electronista

Sorry, dudes. If you want to mince the numbers at least use hard facts rather than mixing forecasts and shipment numbers, or else you're just cherry-picking and look silly.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Wow dude. You yourself quoted an estimate from NPD which is a market research company and you are trying to downplay my source's estimates!

<staff edit>

204,000 units? LOL

Only the last batch of units manufactured by Touchpad were 200,000.

Best buy itself had 200,000 units before the fire sale, which it wanted to send back
    HP's TouchPad Is Officially A Bomb: Best Buy Wants HP To Take Them Back - Business Insider

Best Buy should have sold all those units during the fire sale (some say fire sale and APO's decision was a direct result of retailers sending units back, which would lead to reduced receivables and/or reimbursements to retailers)

Plus NPD says Asus has sold less than 200,000 Transformers. While Asus and analysts claim that they have sold 400,000 per month!

According to BGR, Asus sold 400,000 units by July 2011 itself.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/22/2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: rude
    Let me put this really simply for you:

You used forecast estimates of market share and shipment numbers--not sell-through numbers--to derive the 850,000 number. Furthermore, none of your numbers were concrete. Estimates are not concrete. They're estimates and often are way off from reality.

So, your variables were completely off from the start. Why can't you admit that? You're still speculating, and the fact that my source is a market research firm has nothing to do with its validity.

The NPD Group: Using actual sales data from retailers and distributors as well as consumer-reported purchasing behavior, NPD offers consumer panel and retail sales tracking services, special reports, modeling and analytics, and custom research.[1] Covered industries include apparel, appliances, automotive, beauty, consumer electronics, food and beverage, food-service, footwear, home improvement, housewares, imaging, information technology, movies, music, software, toys, video games and wireless
    The concreteness of its numbers--not forecasted, but provable as actual sales data provides--means everything.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/22/2011 at 02:12 PM.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Let me put this really simply for you:

You used forecast estimates of market share and shipment numbers--not sell-through numbers--to derive the 850,000 number. Furthermore, none of your numbers were concrete. Estimates are not concrete. They're estimates and often are way off from reality.

So, your variables were completely off from the start. Why can't you admit that? You're still speculating, and the fact that my source is a market research firm has nothing to do with its validity.

The concreteness of its numbers--not forecasted, but provable as actual sales data provides--means everything.
    In simple sense, Do you really think HP sold though 200,000 units?

It has made over a million units. Which means 800,000 units are still in the channel?

Again with respect to Asus, over a million shipments and just 150,000 sell through? You mean 850,000 still in the channel?

If HP had so many units sitting idle, they would not choose to write off webos assets. Since they havnt sold through all units yet and cannot effectively writeoff or ascertain the value of those inventories/assets pertaining to Touchpads.

Additionally 100,000-200,000 units were offered to developers and employees through its own channel, i.e website and all were sell throughs..not sell in.
    Last edited by ak1229; 11/22/2011 at 02:21 PM.
    We do not know how many units HP made, nor how many are still in the channel. We do not have solid, provable numbers for any of this. It's all estimates, and that's my point. For all we know, HP's sitting on a warehouse full of them, and/or they may have paid an exhorbitant amount of money to it upstream manufacturer to cancel the contract. And, as you know, they're still trying to offload them through bundles.

All we can do is go by the actual sales numbers to figure out how many HP Touchpads were actually sold. And that's the only number that counts.

Which brings me back to my initial point in this tangent (which I apologize greatly to the Netflix fans in this thread for): Unless you can point to solid data, with citations and whose sources can be called up and will actually confirm the number like I could with NPD's study, it's not an actual data point. It's speculation. And hard numbers will beat speculation every. single. time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast