webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Palm Pre- & + Camera App on Touchpad
Palm Pre- & + Camera App on Touchpad
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LordSecksie

Old 07/17/2011, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

copy the com.palm.app.camera folder to /media/internal
go into usb mode and copy folder to desktop
modify appinfo.Jason with "uiRevision": "2", on line before last
use palm-package and make the ipk
use palm-install to install the IPK on your Touchpad

Works pretty well.

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
Put your device in Developer mode.
From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
Vualla Preware is installed.]
demetry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just to clarify this will install a Camera app on the TouchPad that will use the front camera for taking pictures? then all we need is a patch for volume rocker to take the pic or something like that.
Old 07/17/2011, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Just to clarify this will install a Camera app on the TouchPad that will use the front camera for taking pictures? then all we need is a patch for volume rocker to take the pic or something like that.
yes sir

it does take a little knowhow and some code changes but does work from the stock app.

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.

Last edited by demetry14; 07/17/2011 at 08:42 PM.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 07/18/2011, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

This could then be made into an app that people can install on Preware or Quickinstall, correct?

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
Twitter: @LordSecksie
TextOne: LordSecksie
LordSecksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 07/18/2011, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

well the hell with that will someone please do the extras and package it up..this is all i have been wanting since the beginning! as bad as that sounds
screwby doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2011, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
This could then be made into an app that people can install on Preware or Quickinstall, correct?
Probably not. There would likely be legal issues with that.
OrionAntares#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: LordSecksie
Old 07/18/2011, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

How do the pictures turn out? I wouldn't think they would be all that great.
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2011, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
Probably not. There would likely be legal issues with that.
oh, i see. I did not think about that. Sorry

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Old 07/19/2011, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

The camera seems every so slightly fuzzy and also ever so slightly elongated. I think it is the actual camera and not the application though.

Old 07/31/2011, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

This was pretty cool. I got the app to work with Ipk Packager. Just out of curiosity...for those that also got it to work...did you have the "take the picture" button? I just see my ugly mug staring back at me with no buttons. Maybe that's what sledge007 meant when they asked for the rocker buttons to take the picture...I still have the Ipk if anyone wants it.
Alan Morford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2011, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
This was pretty cool. I got the app to work with Ipk Packager. Just out of curiosity...for those that also got it to work...did you have the "take the picture" button? I just see my ugly mug staring back at me with no buttons. Maybe that's what sledge007 meant when they asked for the rocker buttons to take the picture...I still have the Ipk if anyone wants it.
you would need to modify the original code substantially in order to legally call it yours and no longer Palms. So I would not recommend that. "Unless you like the inside of courthouses".

Old 07/31/2011, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
you would need to modify the original code substantially in order to legally call it yours and no longer Palms. So I would not recommend that. "Unless you like the inside of courthouses".
LOL...ok good point. So let's just say for those Pixi/Pre/Veer owners out there that can prove they own the phone can PM me for the ipk - for all you "just Touchpad owners"...go buy an HP/Palm phone and then we'll talk.
Old 08/01/2011, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

FYI 3.0.2 breaks this. The screen just flashes.
Old 08/02/2011, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
go figure...why cant this just give us a app! MAN
screwby doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2011, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Darn. Really wanted this on my TouchPad. Even tho I would still use Classic Pre as my main device to take pictures, I would have still liked to have a camera app on the TouchPad. You never know when it might come in handy.

Old 08/02/2011, 09:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well demetry14 created the process but there was no way to take the picture. It was more of a proof of concept anyway. And the images would be really low quality and like he said "fuzzy". You're not really missing anything.
Thanked By: LordSecksie
Old 08/02/2011, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Well demetry14 created the process but there was no way to take the picture. It was more of a proof of concept anyway. And the images would be really low quality and like he said "fuzzy". You're not really missing anything.
Actually with a little effort you could bring up all of the buttons so pictures are possible. But like I said it is "fuzzy". I think though... With how easy it was to get working from my Pre to the Touchpad that HP may just update this for us and make it work better and possibly sharpen it so the fuzz is gone. but the only way to be sure they will do something like this for us is to put in your feature request and hope that thousands like you put it in as well.

"JUST A FEW OF WHAT I HAVE ASKED FOR"

1. I have done this for quite a few features including the Calculator we now have that if you notice is the Pre- Calculator scaled up.
2. Wireless Sync with HP Play "I can do this with Songbird a plugin and sftp on the Touchpad". But I would like to see it integrated into the HP Play application which is "Songbird" underneath.
3. VPN OpenVPN Support.
4. Messaging App "Full libpurple support" for all IM Account types.
5. Browser "Flash Off" HTML5 fallback.
6. HP MovieStore "Free Section"

"THEN THERE ARE THE EXTREME "DREAM" THINGS I HAVE ASKED FOR"

1. Android/ iOS App Support (So we can install and run those apps, could be like WINE for linux) "in case you don't know wine allows you to run windows apps in linux"
2. Advanced Gestures (3 finger swipe left-right/right-left to "This is Pre- full swipe gesture"
3. Camera Streaming to localhost "so you could remotely go to your Touchpad IP and view from the eye of the camera" (GREAT FOR WHEN YOU LOSE IT IN YOUR HOUSE)

I KNOW THIS WAS TOTALLY OFF TOPIC BUT I THOUGH IF I GAVE SOME INSIGHT ON HOW THE WHOLE "WHAT IS PRIORITY" IN UPDATES WORKS. SO SUBMIT THE SAME STUFF AS ME AND HOPE WE GET IT. :-)

Thanked By: kryptonite_2448

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0