Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if quickoffice, when updated to the TP, will support redlining and adding notes to the margins of documents (as in Word)? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    as it turns out, answering my own question, at least as a few months ago, it seems that quickoffice doesn't support, for anyone, redlining, also known as track changes or legislative style editing.

If HP is serious about business or enterprise functionality for the TP, as compared to the Ipad, this would be an area where HP could, immediately, distinguish itself from the Ipad.

Otherwise, the road warrior lawyer/businessman is better off with a laptop or even a netbook.
    johncc likes this.
    webOS Internals has been able to get LibreOffice working (Open Office variant). I think LibreOffice can track changes but you should research this.

This is a recent discovery by webOS Internals this week so it may take a bit before they develop a way for the rest of us to access the program easily. Watch the boards.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I do remember having to wait forever on this when I had an iPhone. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was QuickOffice, and not its competitor (I'm blanking on it) that could see redlining. So I'm hopeful, perhaps erroneously so...
    johncc likes this.
    Wow. The Touchpad has shown me how useful a tablet could be. But it's done that by highlighting what the Touchpad can't do.

I don't need to edit Word docs, I won't even go that far. But I can't even view someone else's redlines in Word? Are you serious?

And don't even get me started on Bing Maps, vertical PDFs, and the keyboard (no arrow keys?). Yikes. I can't remember the last time I returned electronics, but this would be going back if I had the opportunity. Now I wait for Android.
    Arrow keys on a virtual keyboard? That'll be a first.
    Some Android keyboards have arrow keys on them.
    I can't believe it. Even with the Quickoffice update I still can't view redlines in Word. I'm done. Put my TP on craigslist. I'm in LA. Anyone want it?
    bigfootsvj likes this.
    what the hell are redlines in word?
    They're revision markings.

From http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...gesworks.html:

"Track Changes is also known as redline, or redlining. This is because some industries traditionally draw a vertical red line in the margin to show that some text has changed."
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    Arrow keys on a virtual keyboard? That'll be a first.
    No, it wouldn't.
    jyknyc likes this.
    could they save it as a .pdf? Would that show redlines?
    Redlines = track changes in Word.

I'm an attorney, so this is crucial. I need to see what has changed; with the Touchpad you see both the new and the old, all jumbled together and all in black font, with no strikethrough, no underline, no different colors. My Thunderbolt shows Word docs in track changes with no problem.

Do most people edit work-related Word docs without turning on track changes? Maybe I'm an anomaly.

Saving as a PDF would change nothing. (And you don't want to get me started on the PDF reader -- vertical scrolling?)

Anyway, I'm selling my TP to someone off Craigslist for $175 this afternoon. Looking forward to getting an Android 4.0 (ICS) tablet sometime in late 2011/early 2012.

I love how webOS does multitasking -- the cards are awesome. But if I can't work on my TP it's not worth it, even for $99, especially when I can make a small profit off selling it.
    Last edited by jyknyc; 08/30/2011 at 12:13 PM.
    The only workaround with redlines that I can think of is to save it as a PDF and then view it in PDF on the TP. I am an attorney too and it would have been nice to have this feature. For a $100 tablet though, I am not really all that upset about it.
    My understanding is that Quickoffice (at least for for the Ipad) shows the track changes as being accepted; however, they still exist in the document when displayed in Word or other capable programs. The question remains as to whether the Touchpad version acts like the Ipad version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyknyc View Post
    I can't believe it. Even with the Quickoffice update I still can't view redlines in Word. I'm done. Put my TP on craigslist. I'm in LA. Anyone want it?
    I want it. I am in the LA area. I sent you a private message
    Quote Originally Posted by kderosa View Post
    My understanding is that Quickoffice (at least for for the Ipad) shows the track changes as being accepted; however, they still exist in the document when displayed in Word or other capable programs. The question remains as to whether the Touchpad version acts like the Ipad version.
    Quickoffice on my Thunderbolt (Android) shows track changes perfectly: new text is underlined in and in red, deleted text is also in red and in strikethrough. No need to save to PDF, no maneuvering, it just shows up that way.

I don't know anything about how the iPad does it, but if the iPad can't do it either, then I'm clearly going Android for my next tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kderosa View Post
    Yeah this sounds like a quick office issue and not a TP issue.

BTW, tracking in general is VERY buggy even when being implemented on a PC running MS Office.

People in my office LOVE to use tracking. Me and the other IT guy in the office laugh because it ALWAYS screws off formatting and other aspects of the documents, especially when you have inserted tables and multiple users/offices tracking the same document. I am constantly troubleshooting documents that have been in and out of tracking.

Ohhh and did a quick google search, didn't spend too much time, but does look like Quick Office on iPad can't do tracking. It looks like Picsel might be able to do tracking, should be out in less than 45 days according to the folks at Picsel.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhijack View Post
    The only workaround with redlines that I can think of is to save it as a PDF and then view it in PDF on the TP. I am an attorney too and it would have been nice to have this feature. For a $100 tablet though, I am not really all that upset about it.
    I understand. But my problem is that the Touchpad has shown me that a tablet really can be useful and productive, and not just be a $100 toy to view your email and some webpages. I'd gladly pay $400 for a tablet that I can both use as a toy and for work.

So in a year I'd likely have a Touchpad toy and a real tablet I can use for work, and I don't need both. I'm going to miss the TP, but it just doesn't make sense for me.
    NuclearWinter likes this.
    what android program are you using? Picsel announced yesterday their office program is coming to the tp within 45 days.
    I noticed this too on QO. I'd wait though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast