Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    I would also suggest contacting QO support and see if this is a known bug or an unsupported feature.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I appreciate everyone recommending that I wait. You guys may end up being right, but it doesn't change the other issues that I have: no arrows in the keyboard, which makes it really hard to get your cursor to the right place; PDF scrolling being vertical instead of horizontal; QuickOffice's rendering of Word docs is generally poor; and the serious lack of apps (Evernote, for instance, is still Pre-sized). Those things don't seem to be getting fixed anytime soon, if ever.

But I seriously love the multitasking cards. It's just not a serious enough business device for me.
    The arrow keys on the bluetooth keyboard work flawlessly in documents. Extra piece of equipment to carry though......
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    The arrow keys on the bluetooth keyboard work flawlessly in documents. Extra piece of equipment to carry though......
    And then a $100 toy becomes a $150+ toy that I still can't view redlines in.
    Trying to position the cursor makes me go nuts too, and it makes trying to copy/paste text a real pain. Apple got this pretty much perfect in iOS.
    jyknyc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyknyc View Post
    And then a $100 toy becomes a $150+ toy that I still can't view redlines in.
    Not putting you down, but do you really refer to Markup/Tracking as "redlines"? Just wondering because that led to a lot of confusion in your initial post and would be confusing in most office settings when using markup and tracking between multiple users (which really is the main purpose of the "feature").

If people were walking around my office continually talking about redlines it would confuse quite a few folks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not putting you down, but do you really refer to Markup/Tracking as "redlines"? Just wondering because that led to a lot of confusion in your initial post and would be confusing in most office settings when using markup and tracking between multiple users (which really is the main purpose of the "feature").

If people were walking around my office continually talking about redlines it would confuse quite a few folks.
    In the singular, yes. All the time. In the plural, less so. When you mark up a document or a memo and send it to another person, you often say "here's a clean copy and a redline," or something to that effect. When searching my outlook inbox for the word "redline" over the past year Outlook tells me that my search turned up a "large number of results." For "redlines" I get over 100 emails from the past year.

I don't really think this was that confusing. A quick google search answers all questions. Nevertheless, as far as I know, my reference to them as redlines as opposed to track changes did not prevent QuickOffice or some other webOS programmer from making track changes viewable on a Touchpad. If I'm wrong about that I'd be quite upset and I'll have learned a valuable lesson. Or something.

It seems, though, that I'm obviously a niche market, since most people don't care, or don't care enough to think that spending $100 on a web tablet on a possibly dead platform that has other usability issues in using it for business purposes is not a good deal.

I'd rather take my money plus the small profit I'll be making from selling it and put it towards a robust device and any accessories that make it even more robust. You bet it will be more expensive. But it will be well worth it. I just wish that device would have multitasking cards.
    Last edited by jyknyc; 08/30/2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Op needs to talk to Quick Office. They are the ones who made the app and it would help future users if you reported this bug to them even if you are going to go to another platform.
    dude, no offense, but you should go to another tablet. Imho, the touchpad is far better for business than the ipad and android tabs, mainly do to multitasking ease and email app. Ipad and android can't pair with my phone and take calls. To each their own. I do hope qe gwt track changes support and I bet we will.
    In the singular, yes. All the time. In the plural, less so. When you mark up a document or a memo and send it to another person, you often say "here's a clean copy and a redline," or something to that effect. When searching my outlook inbox for the word "redline" over the past year Outlook tells me that my search turned up a "large number of results." For "redlines" I get over 100 emails from the past year.

I don't really think this was that confusing. A quick google search answers all questions. Nevertheless, as far as I know, my reference to them as redlines as opposed to track changes did not prevent QuickOffice or some other webOS programmer from making track changes viewable on a Touchpad. If I'm wrong about that I'd be quite upset and I'll have learned a valuable lesson. Or something.

It seems, though, that I'm obviously a niche market, since most people don't care, or don't care enough to think that spending $100 on a web tablet on a possibly dead platform that has other usability issues in using it for business purposes is not a good deal.

I'd rather take my money plus the small profit I'll be making from selling it and put it towards a robust device and any accessories that make it even more robust. You bet it will be more expensive. But it will be well worth it. I just wish that device would have multitasking cards.
    A google search for redline or redlines got me no results.

At the same time, the phrase "how to lock" or automatically suggests in excel. Anyways, like I said just curious, I have never heard the phrase used in that manor.

As I suggested (and someone else did) if you really want any answer to your issue, contact QO. This could very well be a bug or it could be a feature they have no intention of supporting.
    A google search for redline or redlines got me no results.

At the same time, the phrase "how to lock" or automatically suggests in excel. Anyways, like I said just curious, I have never heard the phrase used in that manor.

As I suggested (and someone else did) if you really want any answer to your issue, contact QO. This could very well be a bug or it could be a feature they have no intention of supporting.
    Let me google that for you

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...redlining.html

Just sold my Touchpad. Disappointed, but I guess I shouldn't have expected at least on par functionality as my Android phone.
    Last edited by jyknyc; 08/30/2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Still not an option after the QuickOffice update. Sold my Touchpad as a result.

The "competitor" is Documents To Go, which has stated that they have zero plans to develop for webOS.
    Still not an option after the QuickOffice update. Sold my Touchpad as a result.

The "competitor" is Documents To Go, which has stated that they have zero plans to develop for webOS.
    Since it was mentioned multiple times in your thread, I will point out to anyone that is watching this thread Picsel does tracking and will be released within 45 days per their own announcement (not an HP announcement).

So if one is concerned with markup/tracking, you may want to contact Picsel and see if that will be a supported feature in their webOS version.

Also to point out, Quick Office on iOS doesn't properly support markup/tracking.

As posted above, those willing to install Ubuntu can use Libre Office as well.
    johncc likes this.
    First result is "How Does Track Changes In Microsoft Word Work".... when googling "redline + word" or "redlines + word" that is all

Ohh and if you look at a good amount of the results, they are removing the "redlines under words" aka the spell check redlines, yet another reason to not refer to it as such. Multiple actions in Office can result in a redline meaning various different things.

Sorry, not my fault multiple people were actually unsure of what you were talking about initially. I was just trying to assist you with actually getting answers to your questions and possible support.

Enjoy your device of choice. If you think my responses are excessive, please understand I am trying to assist users and the mods in having complete and correct information so when these threads get bumped or searched there is complete information instead of partial or confusing information.
    First result is "How Does Track Changes In Microsoft Word Work".... when googling "redline + word" or "redlines + word" that is all
    Right, that was my point. The first result of the search explains everything. The second is how to redline a document and the third is how to redline a contract.

I get you trying to help, but there are other posts on here regarding "redlines" as so defined. Anyway, no need for me to post here anymore, I'm not a webOS user.
    Does DTG or Polaris support redlining? I don't use it or need it, but considering all of these apps are still a bit lackluster on even some of the basic and simple things, I can't imagine this being supported or really putting HP at fault for it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Does DTG or Polaris support redlining? I don't use it or need it, but considering all of these apps are still a bit lackluster on even some of the basic and simple things, I can't imagine this being supported or really putting HP at fault for it.
    Agreed, I have a full office suite at work, and I pretty much refuse to do markup unless someone above me is requiring it.
    Why not just hold off for a month, Dual boot Touchdroid/WebOS will be here soon, so if droid has this function then that should solve your problems, in theory anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaPrime View Post
    Why not just hold off for a month, Dual boot Touchdroid/WebOS will be here soon, so if droid has this function then that should solve your problems, in theory anyway.
    You can get the function right now booting Ubuntu.
    The term "redline" is common in law firms. That said, I remember the first time someone asked me to submit one, but knew they had to explain the term. In Word itself, they are called "legal blacklines." Tracked changes are something else entirely, but related.

I would like to see this functionality, too. The OP is right that it is essential for lawyers. But blaming the hardware and OS for something that is a software application issue just shows a lack of judgment.

I find it interesting that the OP had no patience with the TP, with people who are unfamiliar with legal jargon, and with v.1.0 of software rushed for release. I hope he/she is happy with whatever he/she chooses in the end, but something tells me there are larger issues at play.

I for one will contact QuickOffice, and wait for Picsel. Hunt's said it best--the best things come to those that wait. But I will always be jealous of the person that got his TP.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast