Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, he didn't say the 17th of anything. He said those apps would be released the week of the 18th - but why let facts get in the way?
    That's not what he said at all.
    See, you didn't even notice what you did. Why is it "referring to the 17th"? Why is it not referring to the launch and the updates already specifically promised for the week of the 18th?
    I'm not trying to argue. Just go read the interview again yourself, and follow the train of questions at that point. It's pretty clear to me that he is asking about what will we actually see on the 17th, Not the week of or week after.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to the coming improvements... But it's silly to try to debate that no one has a right to be disappointed when the things advertised in Pivot aren't even available, nor other features that have been promoted for so long.
    Bottom line is that no one, no one promised an app, or an update, on the 17th. That's not the way applications or updates work. There is no way that they would know for sure days ahead that an OTA update, or even an App, would be ready on a given date. That's not the way programming works. They may know for sure that it will be ready about that time, but no one gives a specific date that a specific fix will be ready, until that date hits.

The mythical 17th date is simply the interpretation of those that feel entitled, and thosee that wish to troll. Frankly, I'm done with both on this thread.

Going to keep on enjoying my unupdated, kindle-less, HP Movie Service-less TouchPad, that is already working much better than it was a little over two weeks ago, when I bought it.
    JD.Plourde.II and kjb86 like this.
    Have you read the interview? DeWitt absolutely promised Kindle and the Movie Store for the 17th. In unmistakably black and white language.
    Here it is in black and white:

What can we expect for the 17th? - Engadget

Answer (Dewitt): That's our official retail launch date. What you're gonna see is all of the major retailers will have their advertising and their promotions. This weekend is really the beginning of the month-long back to school season. We very consciously picked this as a launch date. Look for major promotional activities, broadly. Not only across all of our webOS devices, but across our PC products as well. Look for a lot of in-store experiences: merchandising, labor, promotions, bundles -- all sorts of things will kick off on the 17th. ((obviously referring to the promotional stuff only))

And the OTA update? - Engadget

Answer (Dewitt): That will be out by the end of the month, as well. We're trying real hard to match the 17th, but you can at least expect it by the end of the month. And, by the way, there will be another update after that and another update after that one. That's the way it's going to be in the future, and I think the elegance of that is awesome for end users. Their products are literally getting better, and they don't even know it.
    ((Note: he said they were trying hard to MATCH the 17th date, but did not guarantee it. If all was right with the world they would make it, but stuff comes up - and he said 'end of the month' as that fall-back point.))

Geez... why is everyone arguing the heck out of this? Nothing like reading into a statement to make it say whatever you want. How about we cut the back and forth arguments now..
    Cantaffordit, kjb86 and capt4chris like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Here it is in black and white:

Geez... why is everyone arguing the heck out of this? Nothing like reading into a statement to make it say whatever you want. How about we cut the back and forth arguments now..
    Right, but this is the more recent interview we're referring to: Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...

Particularly this segment:

Jon: One more thing, donít forget that we have our OTA update coming soon. As we discussed, itís been under development for three, nearly four months, and itís terrific. We want to be sure you get a unit with that on it and take a second look.

TIMN: Will that be available by the 17th?

Jon: No.

Stephen: Some elements will be available, improvements to our movie store, the Kindle appÖ but the OTA is planned for the end of the month. /
    the man asked for a reduction in the back and forth arguing, not more evidence for arguing. Just sayin
    UGH.... let's move on... He's made 2 slightly differing statements. This isn't about a cure for cancer... if it comes out by the month's end, great!

I'm pretty sure at this point the thread has just about run it's course.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm pretty sure at this point the thread has just about run it's course.
    Considering that, well it's not the 17th anymore, I agree.
    Still the 17th here and on the West Coast. Not that I expect anything for a week or so...
    saw touchpads today at Costco (display up running demo, but can't touch inside glass), walmart (dead battery) and at Best Buy. Not bad, HP is getting some market presence.

so far my fav is the angry birds HD and Rio HD - plays super fast, and loads of fun. running preware patches = no lag.

Only disappointment I had today was unable to view ESPN3 flash site for world cup....kept loading, and nothing happpened. Yet the phone was able to stream it (webos 2.1 on frankenpre+). hopefully they get that fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    what a great ad campaign.....spent all day watching tv......saw ipad ads.....saw playbook ads.....saw galaxy ads....and to my surprise in this HUGE launch day, I saw a total of ZERO touchpad ads.....wow! Way to go HP....
    I guess it depends on the channel you were watching. I was watching the morning news on CNN and it was like each commercial break I was seeing the Touchpad. In the first hour I saw more touchpad commercials than I did the entire time since the device launched. Pretty great way to step up the awareness.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    I spent alot of time in BB today, and the tablet displays were devoid of people. The aisle with the laptops was humming with activity with mom and dads with their children shopping for laptops. Back to school I assume. I was all alone playing with all the tablets...Xoom, Touchpad, Galaxy, iPad2..etc.

I didn't notice anything different with today being th 17th and the big launch Dewitt expressed.
    I don't think we'll see that many students getting tablets for college. THey still are not laptop replacements for most students.
    Best Buy has the Touchpad on the front of their website along with a cool Blueshirt video showing off its features. I was pretty impressed.

Did not see any commercials but I was trapped watching NickJr all day with my nieces (Yo Gabba Gabba is creepy!). No excuses though HP! You could have shown a commercial with kids playing Coloring Book HD or having the Kung ** Panda 2 storybook read to them on autoplay from the Touchpad! If it didn't cost $500 my sister-in-law would have bought one immediately. You are missing out on some potential customers!

I also spent the day checking the app catalog for my missing Kindle App! I was hoping for the day of the 17th. Not until the end of the week.

Edit: The program that checks for vulgarity on this forum is a little over zealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I don't think we'll see that many students getting tablets for college. THey still are not laptop replacements for most students.
    If HP just adds document editing and bundles a $60 wireless HP printer, the Touchpad would come darn close. My son is going to be a freshman this year. I bought him a laptop for his High School graduation. He wanted a tablet. His university is trying to be iPad friendly. Had the Touchpad been around and with the incentives I mentioned in the first sentence I would have seriously considered it for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Because of the price difference (and the usability factor), you're probably right; but I don't really expect that situation to remain for long.

My daughter (who just returned to finish college at 25) was over today, and saw me using the TouchPad. She immediately asked me "Could I use that for school instead of a laptop?" I told her no, because it was mine, and I wasn't giving it away. I laughed, and then leveled with her. "You'd probably be better off buying a laptop, at least right now". That may change soon, especially in light of hearing things like Open Office has been made to run on a TouchPad 2 1/2 weeks after its release.

But, how soon tablets may begin to make inroads isn't really my point. My point is that she saw it, and immediately wanted it to be able to replace a laptop purchase. That's the start, the desire by the public. That desire will eventually be filled.
    See what I mean...
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    If HP just adds document editing and bundles a $60 wireless HP printer, the Touchpad would come darn close. My son is going to be a freshman this year. I bought him a laptop for his High School graduation. He wanted a tablet. His university is trying to be iPad friendly. Had the Touchpad been around and with the incentives I mentioned in the first sentence I would have seriously considered it for him.
    Because of the price difference (and the usability factor), you're probably right; but I don't really expect that situation to remain for long.

My daughter (who just returned to finish college at 25) was over today, and saw me using the TouchPad. She immediately asked me "Could I use that for school instead of a laptop?" I told her no, because it was mine, and I wasn't giving it away. I laughed, and then leveled with her. "You'd probably be better off buying a laptop, at least right now". That may change soon, especially in light of hearing things like Open Office has been made to run on a TouchPad 2 1/2 weeks after its release.

But, how soon tablets may begin to make inroads isn't really my point. My point is that she saw it, and immediately wanted it to be able to replace a laptop purchase. That's the start, the desire by the public. That desire will eventually be filled.
    Amazingly, we completely agree on this point. Beyond the cool factor (which I don't think most notebooks have) you mentioned, tablets are lighter, available in a more convenient form factor, feature exceptional battery life, has the software for most of your needs, and can be expanded (via bluetooth keyboards and wireless printing) if you need to do more traditional PCesque tasks.

I would be fairly surprised if the scales didn't tip in favor of tablets for most college freshman within 2 years.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123