Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just stumbled upon Tversity. I tried it out a lot time ago for my DLNA Tv and it did not work. However, I just read that it can handle browser transcoding (using FLASH) on the fly. Low and behold.... I downloaded/Installed it, let it find my files. Typed http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:41952/flashlib (XXX is you Home PC IP) and it worked. Files of all kinds avi and ect running on the Flash Browser. I need to do more testing, but this could be a life saver. Imagine the possibilities.... away in a hotel and access your PC from home and watch the episode of BigBang that you just downloaded. There is also a pro version for Hulu and Ect... but since I do not live in the States I did not even bother to try it out.

It seems to be a little choppy though. It is a start.
    Last edited by de_great; 07/15/2011 at 04:20 AM.
    sorli likes this.
    I love TVersity.....gonna try it out. Thanks for the tip.
    Is there a way on the TouchPad to stream media files over wifi? I would think being able to play media files already on the wifi network in the house would be on everyone's top of the list features.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    sledge007 and mailtms like this.
    Laying in the hammock on the deck watching a movie on the TouchPad over wifi...... I'm diggin' it
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Is there a way on the TouchPad to stream media files over wifi? I would think being able to play media files already on the wifi network in the house would be on everyone's top of the list features.
    Like I said. You install this on your Media PC, and the files are available to any device in your Home Network, and externally if you have a Static IP.

Just by typing the following URL into your TP browser, enables you to see your shared Music,Movies,Photos,Internet Radio,RSS Feeds and ect....

The performance is ok, not like if it were local, but is better than nothing. The Pro version does transcodes to H.264.

The TVersity Media Server allows any device with Adobe Flash 7 or higher to access the media library and stream the multimedia content of the library. Streaming is done by converting the media on the fly to MP3 for Audio, Flash Video for video and JPEG for images.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    this is awesome! Thanks so much!
    anyway to fastforward or rewind?
    Zumocast works too....
    When transcoding is being performed by TVersity, then fast forward and rewind is not available. You have to stream in a format native to the device you are viewing on, so transcoding is not needed, in order to have fast forward and rewind available.
    Quote Originally Posted by netmarshall View Post
    Zumocast works too....
    I forgot and have looked at Zumocast in a while. What kind of performance are you getting using Zumocast? I just logged back into my account and maybe it is too busy re-indexing my videos and music and I haven't had much luck.

I'll just have to wait and see come back to it later. Either way, thanks for the reminder of the service and I'll check back later and see how things are coming along. Sorli...
    Wow, Tversity works very well and was real easy to setup.

I have a Mac so I ended up running the Tversity server on my VMware Fusion Windows XP system now transcoding from emulation. Weird, but it works and worth checking out if you have a PC. Actually, I may just setup my XP Media Server to provide this service and transcoding all the time or at least till SplashTop arrives for the TouchPad and provides a more direct interface.

Very interesting and thanks for the insight! Sorli...

Almost forgot to reference Zumocast also works, but has the advantage of transcoding and providing a online service to reference resources external to local network. This is good and bad, bad in my case since I have too much for Zumocast to log and I may try it later with a smaller set of files to index and see how it works.
    I use TVersity to stream to my xbox 360, I shall have to try it with the touchpad!
    Will after trying Tversity (that works) and Zumocast (that almost works, but takes a long time to update)...I finally figured out how to properly use my NAS.

My ZyXEL NSA221 has a built-in web server...duh...and pipes all of my content to a webpage that can be browsed in webOS and content streamed using default/built-in interfaces. It actually works so well on webOS that I have to wonder why so many people think IOS and Android is be-all end-all for Mobile Computing. I tried the same web interface on Android and no go (4 web browsers, VLC player plugins, and multiple DLNA/uPNP clients, etc). Nothing worked on Android, which annoys the crap out of me!

Our Nook Color running Android 2.3 Rooted doesn't have native web streaming capabilities and tries to download the videos first for playback that defeats the whole purpose of my NAS server. Sucks for my wife big time and it very disappointing that Android's technology (rooted 2.3) doesn't allow local streaming of video files??? As previously noted, I also tried every free and trial version of DLNA/uPNP players and guess what...those don't work either. What good is having 100K apps if they don't work?

Yikes, it is amazing to me that all I had to do on my NAS was enable web serving and I'm off and running in webOS using a web browser and I can't get anything to work on my wife's Nook Color.

Also note, I didn't fall of the truck yesterday and know my way around software and applications...if I can't get these apps to work, what does the average Android users do?

Either way, my NAS web server is now rocking, allowing direct access to my music and videos, and broadcasting to my TouchPad as I type! I love webOS! Sorli...

Update:
    Almost forgot to mention, I also tried the latest BHome DLNA/uPNP client 1.0.2 for webOS and written by Blue Star Software, and they are getting real close to making their application happen. Their update didn't quite work for me, but I've already contacted the developer, helping them by providing my DLNA Server log captured using an application they provided me for Windows, and looking forward to something more native soon!
    Last edited by sorli; 07/18/2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: BHome 1.0.2 update...
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    tversity does not work for me. Is there something that I did not set up correctly.... I went to the appropriate address stated I OP and the web browser says unable to load page
    works perfect for me!!

i just wish there was a full screen button so it gets rid of the address bar and clock!
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    what is you OS and router setup.....and how are you accessing tversity...
    I'm running it on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Accessing it through the web-browser.. it's the only way that works right now, I've spent hours trying to get native mp4 streaming to work with no luck. It seems like HP/Palm really didn't put much into HTTP Live Streaming

With that said, I posted a feature request on the TVersity forums to allow us to increase the flash streaming quality and add a "full screen" button, if we can get that then this may be one of the BEST solutions on webOS till HP/Palm adds http live streaming.

TVersity Support Forums • View topic - Request: True Full Screen Flash
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    finally got this to work. I had to uninstall and reinstall tversity. Is there a way to play a photo slideshow?
    Sorry to bump this but I was wondering if anyone got TVersity to work with bhome?

I just installed Zumocast and the quality is WAY better then TVersity! It just takes FOREVER to update. But the quality is much better. If bHome can somehow work with TVeresity then we've got a winner.
    Yeah, I got TVersity to work with bhome pretty easily. I had to enter the IP address of my TVersity server, but it worked like a charm after that.

Interesting note, my TP shows up in TVersity's attached devices list as a PS3...
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    Yeah, I got TVersity to work with bhome pretty easily. I had to enter the IP address of my TVersity server, but it worked like a charm after that.

Interesting note, my TP shows up in TVersity's attached devices list as a PS3...
    Yeah so I got bHome to connect and TVersity shows up as a PS3 attached, but when i try to stream anything it doesn't actually play.

Is it because I'm using trial bhome? Any other setting you did? And does all video work for you with transcoding?

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast