Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    One of the things that is not quite there for the Touchpad yet is a good Bible app.

To get me by while I wait for someone with more time and resources than me to put together a full featured app, I created a (free) Simple ESV Bible Reader for the touchpad. It's very bare bones. You can navigate to passages and create four bookmarks and requires network access (I've used it through the WiFi in our church building as well as through FreeTether). It was designed for quick navigation with no typing required to allow you to follow along with a sermon or Bible class. It basically just builds a URL and retrieves the text from Home (ESV Bible Online).

If you think this might meet your needs, take a look in the app catalog.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...soft.simpleesv

I really don't know how much time I'll have to make major enhancements to it as I'm assuming BibleReader or OliveTree or someone like that will be jumping in with a 'professional' app at some point, but if anyone wants the source to take a stab at enhancements, you're more than welcome.

Version 1.1.1 has made it to the catalog. Basically, I just added a lock button to stop the screen from turning off (like if you're teaching a class) and added error messages when there is no internet connection. However, I've noticed that there are a few bogus errors popping up.. I'll look into that and hopefully get a fix up in a week or so.

Version 1.1.0 Is not available in the catalog. The list of enhancements can be found on the Facebook page below, but the primary one is inclusion of the KJV text for offline reading.

Version 1.0.1 has just been submitted to HP and should be available in the next few days. The update should address most of what was discussed below.

7/18 Update: I pulled Version 1.0.1 due to a rotation bug that I introduced. However, I have now uploaded version 1.1 which includes the improvements in 1.0.1 plus the addition of the King James Version that can be read offline. Also, I decided that my simpleESV was a little too close in name to SimpleBible and didn't want people to get confused, so I've renamed this app to easyBible

A list of updates can be found at :
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Easy-B...03365053095300
    Last edited by cthetford; 08/03/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    stiekes likes this.
    Wow, great app. Downloaded. Any chance of NASB or NIV? Either way, it looks great, navigates easily (much better than OTG bible for touchpad)
    Been waiting for this app. Thank you so much!
  3.    #3  
    other versions can be done fairly easily if I can find web sites that allow me to use an API to retrieve text. I'll poke around a little bit and see what I can find. Bible Gateway might have something.
    it says it isn't available for my version of webOS. Does that mean all Verizon Pre2 owners are doomed? (grin)
  5.    #5  
    Cantafforit: Yes... afraid so. I've been using 'BibleReader' on my Pre Plus. I put this one together specifically to address the issue that there are still a very limited number of Bible Apps available on the touchpad. I'm still counting on someone to come along with offline reading and highlighting capabilites.
    I too have noticed the lack of a decent bible apps for the touchpad. Right now they're all online only and the On-the-go (hah when online only is it really?) one is hard to use IMO.

It's to the point I'm considering developing myself. I don't really know Javascript but I'm a quick learner.

Is it an issue of getting the text? The open song site has links (HERE) to xml versions of bibles for use with their presenting software... I don't see why that couldn't be used.

If you'd like a suggestion... there should be a way to see which book you've already selected. For example you pick one and then use a bookmarked one, it's possible you'd forget which you were in first and there is no indication of which is selected. For me at least, it wasn't reassuring that each pick didn't get highlighted in a way.
    Anyone know if there'll be a YouVersion for touchpad?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Olivetree has NO INTENTION of adding Web OS. I have tried at least 3 times and they have no interest.
    I'm also keeping an eye on Bits o God software working with Laridan on providing on-board bible modules. I think they are getting close with Simple Bible Pro...not quite out of beta yet. Here is a page talking about their progress:

Bits Of God Software News

One thing I didn't see in there was autoscrolling. This was something I really enjoyed in my PalmOS days....not having to tap or flick all the time.

ESV will be available for purchase in the Pro version it looks like.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/14/2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

kingskid likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xwing View Post
    It's to the point I'm considering developing myself. I don't really know Javascript but I'm a quick learner.
    If you decide to take something on, I'll be happy to share the source with you so you can make enhancements.

Is it an issue of getting the text?
    This is the issue for the copyrighted versions. The King James Text is available in HTML / XML etc and if I can ever get the WebView object to read from a local file, I could probably build a version that reads the KJV locally.

If you'd like a suggestion... there should be a way to see which book you've already selected. For example you pick one and then use a bookmarked one, it's possible you'd forget which you were in first and there is no indication of which is selected. For me at least, it wasn't reassuring that each pick didn't get highlighted in a way.
    Agreed.. I'll tinker with that when I get a chance. Currently, when you select a book, the book name shows at the bottom of the screen, but you lose it once you load a page via bookmark because I'm showing the URL (which probably isn't necessary.. I should have just left the book name up there). Still, better would be to change the color on the selected item or something like that.

This started as a "I-want-to-see-what-it's-like-to-learn-Enyo" project and I figured I'd at least build something I could make some use of so it may be a couple of weeks before I can carve out another weekend to get something done, but I'll try to address the selection issue (again, if anyone doesn't have three kids and has more time than I do and wants access to the source code, I can make that available).
  11.    #11  
    I've incorporated the suggestions above and submitted to the HP catalog. Hopefully you'll see it soon!

I'm including offline reading of the King James text as well with this update.
    Last edited by cthetford; 07/16/2011 at 06:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I was able to use Simple Bible @ church today. You download versions then can utilize them offline. I understand they are working on better optimization on the TP. Just an FYI. Still hoping for an offline NIV.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Thanks for the work & the app seems great.

Once the Kindle App arrives, wont there be a number of Bibles to also choose from?
    cthetford, your app looks nice and clean, It's the best Enyo Based Bible reader out there so far IMO.

Not here to hijack, but Simple Bible Pro Beta is coming along nicely. As for a touchPad Version of either Simple Bible or Simple Bible Pro, that's next. For now, both apps are fully compatible Mojo Versions that do Full Screen on the TouchPad.

As for You Version, I bet they will go Enyo eventually too. They have a great FREE bible reader so long as you have an Internet connection while your reading, it's a good choice.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/18/2011 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Thanks for the work & the app seems great.

Once the Kindle App arrives, wont there be a number of Bibles to also choose from?
    Yes, there will be. But they will be books, not study Bibles. I imagine the Kindle app will have bookmarks and highlights. But I'm not sure about notes. More importantly, they will not likely have the features that a full featured Bible app will have such as concordance Linking, User data that is persistent across multiple translations, Bible Study and Reading plans etc.
    waw outstanding App, it seems interesting....
    there is only Bible or anything else you provide?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Yes, there will be. But they will be books, not study Bibles. I imagine the Kindle app will have bookmarks and highlights. But I'm not sure about notes. More importantly, they will not likely have the features that a full featured Bible app will have such as concordance Linking, User data that is persistent across multiple translations, Bible Study and Reading plans etc.
    I've tried to use my kindle device in church for a while, and while it's a great reading device, it is not a good reference device. Even with the shortcuts built into some of the Bibles, I find that I just can't navigate quickly enough to keep up in a class or a sermon.
    Last edited by cthetford; 07/18/2011 at 07:22 AM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
    I was able to use Simple Bible @ church today. You download versions then can utilize them offline. I understand they are working on better optimization on the TP. Just an FYI. Still hoping for an offline NIV.
    The difficulty with an offline NIV is that the text is copyrighted. That makes the text difficult to incorporate into a free app (someone would have to establish a relationship like OliveTree has done to allow the product to be sold). I did manage to get an offline KJV in the soon to be posted release. It turned out to be a good bit easier than I thought it might be to get a usable version of the text.

The folks at SimpleBible and Biblereader already have relationships and infrastructure in place for downloading a bunch of different Bibles and I think they have (or are in the process of creating) relationships with publishers to allow licensing of the copyrighted Bibles. I don't really plan to build out that functionality, but hopefully am just providing a useful substitution until those products have been converted to the Enyo framework.

My main goal was to allow navigation with as few touches as possible and I'm hoping some of that philosophy will make its way into those products as they do the conversion.
    Last edited by cthetford; 07/18/2011 at 07:19 AM.
    By the way, thanks for this app, I appreciate that there are developers working on apps like this, one of my favorite uses of my Pre! And thanks Frankos72 for info on Simple Bible Pro beta status. I'm looking forward to that, and maybe bringing my old "The Message" paraphrase over from my old My Bible days on my Tapwave Zodiac (which sits in perpetual stasis on it's charging dock...a testament to forward thinking devices that never caught on!).

Hey, I want some OK BBQ! I just took a look at the link in your signature Frankos72...Van's Pig Stand...I gotta get to Oklahoma!
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/20/2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Need BBQ
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

20.    #20  
    The latest version is now in the app catalog.. I noted that in my original post above, but wanted to make a special mention of it here because I made the decision to rename the app to 'Easy Bible Reader'. I decided that 'SimpleESV' might be confused with Simple Bible at some point, and I figured it is best to avoid the confusion.

I'll have one more update coming with some improved error handling and the ability to lock the screen on so the device doesn't turn off while you're teaching a bible class or something like that and go 10 minutes without touching the screen (particularly annoying if your company, like mine, requires me to enter a pass code every time I turn it back on).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast