Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Used it last night. Very nice, simple and fast to use, I especially liked the fast bookmark process, made flipping back and forth between passages much easier.

Sometimes simple and fast has a value all to itself.

About the only thing I missed was an integrated way to take notes.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hi cthetford,

It looks nice!

Are you using the ESV API? Whenever I contacted them for an API key (back when I was working on a Bible for my original Pre) they would never give me one. Have they changed?
    Thanks so much for developing this app, and the offline KJV is most appreciated!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by elyon View Post
    Hi cthetford,
    Are you using the ESV API? Whenever I contacted them for an API key (back when I was working on a Bible for my original Pre) they would never give me one. Have they changed?
    I am using the API.. I used their request form and I was a little surprised that when an automated system sent me back a key immediately. Just out of curiosity, did they ignore you or reject your request for a reason?

In my next update, I think I'm going to go back to using the 'IP' key though. I re-read their rules and the IP key allows 5000 queries / day from the same IP address which should be more than sufficient (since every TP user would have their own IP address unless there are 100's of users coming through the same access point at a mega-church or something like that) and should keep me out of the business of having to update the key once / year when it expires.
    Last edited by cthetford; 08/04/2011 at 09:59 AM.
  5.    #25  
    Version 1.1.1 is now available with the feature to lock the screen on.
    Got the update. Great app. Liked you on FB
  7. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cthetford View Post
    Cantafforit: Yes... afraid so. I've been using 'BibleReader' on my Pre Plus. I put this one together specifically to address the issue that there are still a very limited number of Bible Apps available on the touchpad. I'm still counting on someone to come along with offline reading and highlighting capabilites.
    I use Biblez on my pixi, it has offline KJV and some note taking abilities. Also allows you to highlight verses. Like cthetford stated earlier, most of the bible texts are copywrited so you can't include them in free apps, but biblez has other versions other than the KJV. There is also a paid version but i think that just offers more utilization of the app, not additional texts.
  8. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Must also say thanks to cthetford for making this application available to us.
    Regarding downloadable content I found it curious when I found a Crossway ESV for free in the kindle store. Are they simply acknowledging that the kindle is sooooo phenomenally unsuitable as a Bible reader that they're willing to give that away for free? I considered simple bible, but Laridian wants $20 for the ESV and, simply put, their reader isn't as good as the one you knocked together.

So far I've been able to sit on the side of the sanctuary with good WiFi strength...lol
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    Regarding downloadable content I found it curious when I found a Crossway ESV for free in the kindle store. Are they simply acknowledging that the kindle is sooooo phenomenally unsuitable as a Bible reader that they're willing to give that away for free? I considered simple bible, but Laridian wants $20 for the ESV and, simply put, their reader isn't as good as the one you knocked together.
    I've wondered about that myself.. they also have a free version for the iPhone. I guess maybe I should ask the question... I'd even give them the source code if they would release a free version with their text included.

I'm looking forward to Simple Bible after the enyo port. I'm hoping that some of what I've learned and some of the comments posted here with respect to quick navigation will eventually make their way into products of companies with the resources to build a more full-featured version (in particular, I'd like to have highlighting and note-taking, but just don't have the time to dive into it that deep).

So far I've been able to sit on the side of the sanctuary with good WiFi strength...lol
    I've even managed to use it tethered to my PRE via freeTether a few times.. it's a little slower, but it works.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12