Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sorli
  1.    #1  
    Whenever I visit Precentral.com I keep noticing ads for Audible.com prominently displayed on the home page. I know that the Audible player is still not available for WebOS but just for grins, I decided to click on the ad. Right after I landed there, up pops an invitation to chat with a support (read "Sales") rep.

Here's a transcript of our conversation:

Thank you for choosing Audible. A representative will be with you shortly.
    You are now chatting with Alex.

Alex: Thank you for contacting Audible. My name is Alex, how can I help you today?

You: Hi Alex, this is Jimi

You: I clicked on an online ad for Audible.com that I saw on a website - precentral.com.

Alex: I will be more than happy to assist you.

You: PreCentral is all about HP's WebOS phones. Since I see this ad all the time on the PreCentral website, does that mean that the Audible player is now supported on WebOS phones?

Alex: Is this phone a Andorid or iphone cell phone?

You: No, it is a smart phone made by Hewlett Packard running the WebOS operating system. It does everything that Android or iPhone's do.

You: But it is a different operating system so it runs many different apps, just not all the same ones that Android or iOS runs.

Alex: What OS System does it run? Is this a Windows Mobile 7?

You: No - the OS System is called WebOS. It is made by HP.

Alex: Not a problem, one moment as I research this information for you to see if we are compatible.

Alex: Thank you for waiting. At this time, we are currently not compatible with an WebOS system and I do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. But you will still be able to burn it to CD, play it in your computer or import it into a compatible device.

You: That's too bad. WebOS is an up and coming new phone and tablet OS. It is now being sold by HP, one of the largest Enterprise Technology vendors in the world. I'm surprised that Audible does not support such a large technology vendor as Hewlett Packard.

Alex: Again I do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. But if you were still interested in trying our service our to see if you will like it. I can provide you with a link for our 14 day free trial that will provide you with 1 credit which is good for 1 audio book of your choice. How does that sound?

You: But if it doesn't run on my portable device that doesn't do me much good.

You: Why does Audible keep running ads on the PreCentral site if they are not supporting WebOS devices? PreCentral is only about WebOS devices.

Alex: Again I truly do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. At this time, we are currently not compatible with this Web os system and we do not have an estimated date as till when or if we well be compatible with them in the future. Thank you for understanding the situation and for your time and patience with us today. But besides this though, is there anything else I can assist you with today?

You: Can you pass along my request that Audible consider supporting Hewlett Packard's WebOS operating system? It would make sense given how much presence HP has in the technology market.

Alex: Definitely and we are trying our best to get new OS systems to be compatible with us. Thank you for your time and patience and understanding. Have a wonderful day and take care.

Alex: Thank you for chatting with Audible.com. We value your feedback. Please click the CLOSE button at top right to answer a few questions about your experience with us today.
  2.    #2  
    Wow, I thought I might get at least one response to this thread. Guess all the Audible fans that used to hang around here have already given up on WebOS. Am I the only one left? Does that make me a "******"? Do I talk too much?
    Last edited by TexZenFool; 07/13/2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Why is "f@nb0y" a banned term?
    I just noticed this thread. Thanks for sharing the interesting exchange. I had a similiar e-mail exchange with Audible last year after I bought my Pre and then had to go get a Sansa Fuse MP3 player since I couldn't listen to Audible programs on the Pre as I had on a Blackberry.

I haven't given up on WebOS, just taking a 22 month break, until my next Sprint upgrade, and hopefully they will have a new awsome WebOS phone then. It's not because of a lack of an Audible player, haven't had that on the phone for the past 15 months. It's more the lack of a good interactive four function (contacts, schedule, action list, memos) PIM such as Agendus, a office documents editor, a relational database that has bi-directional synchronization with a desktop database (including Access). To be fair there are a couple of nifty database programs for WebOS but they don't directly sync with anything on the PC so they are not as useful or convenient as HanDBase. All of the above I had on the Pre through Classic. HP, for reasons that are completly elusive to my logic, decreed that I would not be allowed to have Classic on my future WebOS devices, including the TP I had planned on buying. So, for an interium solution I have an Evo 4G and a rooted Nook Color. I do hope to come back to WebOS when it developes the core functionality for my work life. I hope it also has Audible by then but I'll return to WebOS even if it doesent - I can always use a MP3 player for the books.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Doesn't surprise me really and I've given up asking for software support from anyone locked into Android and IOS. If they want my business they'll either develop software for the phone I use or I'll use another service that does.

I personally love our public library district and all they provide for free...additionally funded by donations and tax payer dollars. Perfect example is this weekends Harry Potter fest and last movie. I've listened to the audio version of all of the Harry Potter series of books for years and all provided through my local library, CD audio book checkout, conversion to MP3, and played back through my Pre- and iPod that I use occassionally.

This is not very convenient, but then if I could afford convenience I wouldn't be stuck waiting on Sprint to "get off the pot" per say. Sorli...
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Yep, if Audible can't provide a linux app, why should we expect them to make one for webOS. They don't seem to want me as a customer, so I'm not going to seek out their service. Especially when there are alternatives out there.

-M
    Quote Originally Posted by TexZenFool View Post
    Wow, I thought I might get at least one response to this thread. Guess all the Audible fans that used to hang around here have already given up on WebOS. Am I the only one left? Does that make me a "******"? Do I talk too much?
    No. We're here. We've just given up on audible. Perhaps something will happen now that the TouchPad is out.
  7.    #7  
    Whew! Thanks for the replies - thought I was talking to myself for a while. If I ever get a different response from Audible I'll try to let everyone here know.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Tired of waiting, Audible has been reading the same script for 2 years. ....no webOS on Sprint? Then, sadly, I'm off to Android and the Mororola Photon, at the end of the month.... if my dissolving, selff-destucting, launch day Pre can make it that long! :-)
    I honestly hope everyone who's leaving for Android does well, since I haven't seen much hope in their tablet platform.

Actually, I'm sure it will come around sooner or later, but I'm not going to jump ship to Android to simply replace webOS. It would have to be MUCH Much better for me to deal with the crap integration they are providing in the tablet space.

Actually, from what I've this weekend, developer are not very happy with Android either and I guess it is anyone's game for second place. Actually, I'm gunning for webOS and IOS to finally get their act together. Hopefully, Steve Jobs doesn't continue to sit on his laurels and only bring a slight bumps innovation wise ever other year.

I guess we'll see sooner or later with iPhone HD coming just around the corner. Sorli...
    I have accumulated quite a collection of unlistened to yet Audible books and I'm thinking of taking a break from them for awhile (and put the money saved into a "future WebOS device fund"). When I leave I will tell them it is because they won't provide an interface for WebOS devices. However, while I'm irritated with Audible over this I am much more irritated with HP/Palm for taking the Classic application away from us. After seeing the 13 pages and 251 posts about "homebrewing" Classic onto later WebOS devices (has anyone tried it on the TP?) I'm not going to waste my time with that.

Regarding the previous poster, no I don't love my Android tablet (a "rooted" Nook Color) as much as I'm sure I'd love the TP I've spent a lot of time checking out at Wal-Mart (that's not where I would buy one but it was the only place locally I could look at one). But besides communications I need my phone and tablet to have three things: a really good 4 function (contacts, appointments, tasks, memos) Personal Information Manager that has direct (i.e. no "cloud") bi-directional sync with a desktop counterpart; a really good relational database that has direct (i.e. no "cloud") bi-directional sync with a desktop counterpart (or with MS Access); an office documents editor. I have those three things on my Sprint Pre (1.4.5) with Classic. I have those three things on my Evo 4G and "rooted" Nook Color. I don't see where those three things are currently available for the TP or the current generation of WebOS phones. If Classic were still natively available I'd sell the Nook (if a Nook reader application were available for WebOS) and get a TouchPad, and I would have saved my upgrade for the next WebOS phone on Sprint. Unfortunately, in my "real world" work day function has to trump the "pretty interface".
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Thanks for taking the time to do that with the CSR. I know no one believes it, but enough of those kind of calls get noticed. What I have never understood is why no one has homebrewed a closed source appp. When I looked into it a while back to see if there was any interest there was absolutely none in the homebrew community. I am not in any way dissing the homebrew guys, they are the only reason I have stayed with web OS as long as I have.

OTOH, this is one of the "have to" apps that any mobile OS that hopes to make it should ship with, even if HP has to pay to get it done. Audible, Kindle, even Nook, and Gmail should be part of the basic loadout of webOS devices. I would include email and PIM as well. You know, email and PIM that worked as well as Classic did.
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill
    I've read somewhere that there's a way to translate the Audible file format into mp3. That's what I'm probably going to do.

I've been to Android, I still have my Galaxy S2, but I'm back in WebOS with my Pre 3 and TP and I probably won't leave again for another year or so. So if you hear of any solutions, let me know.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    As much as I find Android "clunky" and nowhere near as fluid and smooth as webOS was - the power, customization possibilities and rapid development of the Android OS, and the glut of really fun and useful apps (some mentioned above), makes it immpossible to consider webOS anymore

I had high hope the webOS ecosystem would thrive, but HP took care of that :-)

I've said it before though - I've had cell phones for years (Moto bag phone, anyone? :-).. and most were just tools to do a job - the Pre and webOS was more, I LOVED that phone - using it was a pleasure - multitasking was a breeze...

But I use Audible, nook, Tweetdeck, Google maps/nav and Voice commands daily. (I hardly ever use the keyboard for texting/searching/navigating anymore), ...and I could never listen to music (on-board mp3s), for hours on end withiut needing to charge. (Solid 20 + hours of use between charges), I also use my banking app, shazam, soundhound, Skype, Tripadvisor, Kayak - I've used them all and the are useful and are constantly updated.

I loved and miss "cards", touchstone charging and a real keyboard - (although, I 've found a virtual keyboard that I've customized and am getting much faster with - but, it's so easy to just hit the mic button and just speak.) :-)

So, unless someone revives development of webOS, I'll stick with Google, Android and Motorola for now.

Now, I've got to get back to listening to Stephen King's new book "12/23/63" during my drive to Boston....

Oh, and I also miss THIS place - the Photon forums are a "ghost town"
    compared to this place at it's peak - but, I used to HAVE to come here before, in order to get my Pre to where it should have been out of the box - the Homebrew community here is the best! - but, this phone does pretty much everything I need/want without rooting etc.

I SO wanted a Pre 3 and a TouchPad, but I'm content with a phone that does everything I need, quickly, and does it all day (and night) w/o a charge.

Cheers, ToddK

Sent from a Motorola-Photon using TapTalk for Android
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I guess I should have posted this in te goodbye thread - but I'm not leaving - just using another phone/OS -

I hope someone is successful at getting Audible working on webOS. - I never was able to figure out the whole conversion thing - too time consuming

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    Yep, if Audible can't provide a linux app, why should we expect them to make one for webOS. They don't seem to want me as a customer, so I'm not going to seek out their service. Especially when there are alternatives out there.

-M
    They do support some models of both the TomTom and Garman GPSs, primarily the ones with built in FM transmitters. They both use Linux (or a small subset) as the operating systems for their GPSs.
    And of course, Android is Linux based.
    I think its more a matter of will.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    It's really a matter of installed user base - an sadly for webOS, it's tiny, (by comparison to iOS, Android, and even Windows Mobile), and therefore it isn't worth the development cost, never mind the cost of supporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    It's really a matter of installed user base - an sadly for webOS, it's tiny, (by comparison to iOS, Android, and even Windows Mobile), and therefore it isn't worth the development cost, never mind the cost of supporting it.
    So you agree that it is a matter of will?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    No, it's a matter of money - if it's not cost effective they won't do it. They may WANT to do it - but understand it's a poor business decision.

Ok, I get it. There is no desire to develop it because it wouldn't be a financially sound decision.