Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FenrirWolf
  1.    #1  
    Why doesn't box.net have their webOS app plastered on their web site like they do their Android and iPad apps?

It's almost like they're ashamed to have it =(
    What?
    They made a pretty glowing post on their blog. I guess the rest of their web team didn't get the memo yet.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    I've noticed the same thing on a few platforms. I would say it is likely due to the NDA just being lifted less than a week ago. I don't know how fast people get around to making updates to website data.
    Could someone tell me the benefit of box over dropbox? I use dropbox religiously and have all my files stored on there already. Is there any way I could integrate the two?
    Sprint Love
    How about a much more specific TOS regarding what they can do with your stuff over dropbox?

How Does Dropbox's Terms of Service Compare to Those of Other Companies? - ReadWriteCloud
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Could someone tell me the benefit of box over dropbox? I use dropbox religiously and have all my files stored on there already. Is there any way I could integrate the two?
    Sure. The benefit appears to be 50GB of free storage for life. You could just upload all of your files to box.net and use that in the future. I doubt that either side would want to integrate a direct competitor into their service; if anything, both companies would like you to switch away from the other one and come use their service instead. I'd say box.net giving TouchPad users 50GB of free space for life is box.net's attempt to lure you AWAY from dropbox.

As it is now, cloud storage is not directly integrated into webOS... but I can easily imagine a near future where you'll have Cloud Synergy and a native Internalz/file explorer type app that simply integrates any of your cloud storage solutions into the system (i.e. you have a 'device' drive, a 'box.net' drive and a 'dropbox' drive you can navigate to). But that's all just optimistic speculation; for now, we've got nothing of the sort.
    I mean, 50 gigs is awesome, but I have 10 free gigs at dropbox and all I've really been using it for is documents for classes and what not. So, unless I fill it up with a billion spreadsheets, word files, etc... I won't need 50 gigs. Maybe I'll start using it just for audio or something. I guess that could work.
    Sprint Love
    box.net and dropbox in my mind are fundamentally different. Dropbox allows synchronization locally and box.net is more pure cloud (although I see an app on box.net that appears to allow box.net act more like dropbox and you can use dropbox in a more pure cloud manner. Also, we have only been given the the free version of box.net (albeit 50gb worth) - the more advanced features are in their pay offerings - so obviously the box.net strategy is to hook people thru the free offering and then upsell them to the more extensive features of their pay offerings