Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    hello my friends from across the pond. spotify is reportedly coming to the US and you can register for an invitation at:
    Spotify is coming to the U.S. Sign up to get your invite now - Spotify.

i use it in the UK on my pre plus and it's awesome.

fingers crossed for a touchpad version
    sketch42 and bausti25 like this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    hello my friends from across the pond. spotify is reportedly coming to the US and you can register for an invitation at:
    [url= is coming to the U.S. Sign up to get your invite now - Spotify[/url].

i use it in the UK on my pre plus and it's awesome.

fingers crossed for a touchpad version
    Thank you for the heads up!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I just hope they didn't need to make too many concessions to the US labels to do this. Signed up, keeping fingers crossed...
    I signed up this morning.

Isn't there a flash version?
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post
    I signed up this morning.

Isn't there a flash version?
    I think it's only a desktop client with the various mobile clients. Grooveshark is the one with the flash version.

I checked the app catalog and it still says the app is not available in the U.S.

I'll keep checking over the coming days.
    Spotify is opening tomorrow in beta at 8 am to all those who preregister
    Spotify launching in the US at 8AM tomorrow, open to all pre-registered users | This is my next...
    Sounds great to me, now the question is... will the existing webOS app in the European catalog come to the US too?

Especially since it's the only webOS music app I know of that's supposed to have caching.
    You mean offline songs? Grooveshark does that too.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Please make sure to tweet Spotify to have them make this available on the US app catalog.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You mean offline songs? Grooveshark does that too.
    Forgot about Grooveshark adding that recently, but I'm way more interested in a free service (ad-supported) that does it. I was hoping Slacker on webOS would eventually add it, but clearly they abandoned their app support a long time ago. Though of course Spotify is going to be a monthly fee for mobile access. Then again, maybe the fact that I won't have to spend so much damn time looking for properly tagged stuff in Grooveshark is worth the cost. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    Please make sure to tweet Spotify to have them make this available on the US app catalog.
    If all else fails, there's always Impostah, as long as the current app still works. Who knows if it can access the US server though.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/14/2011 at 02:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Subscribed to Spotify this morning and sent some messages along to Spotify regarding US app catalog access.

Great way to start Thursday.
    You got an invite? I hope I do, don't see anything in my inbox.

See tweet below, looks like Spotify app is coming to webOS

"richardkerris
    richardkerris richardkerris
    #Spotify is up and running... welcome to the US. Love that they are working on the #hpwebOS version - as everyone should be"
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I "jumped the queue" by signing up for a Premium account. On the main Spotify page, there's a link below the orange "Request an invite" box to do this.

Also hopefully the webOS app will be available soon: When will Spotify be available on webOS in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    You got an invite? I hope I do, don't see anything in my inbox.

See tweet below, looks like Spotify app is coming to webOS

"richardkerris
    richardkerris richardkerris
    #Spotify is up and running... welcome to the US. Love that they are working on the #hpwebOS version - as everyone should be"
    I saw that tweet and was a little surprised. From what I can gather they already have an app for webOS that is just geo-restricted. Can't HP just make that app available in the U.S. as well?
    If you jump the queue with a premium subscription and grab the app with Impostah, it does work.

It can't have the same breadth of catalog that Grooveshark does since Grooveshark allows users to upload It also picks up files you have the device, does last.fm, radio, offline (automatic, for example, you can set it to offline any song added to particular playlists), and for right now, appears to be reliable (no random decoding errors, taking forever to load songs, etc etc). For the mobile experience, if I had to choose between Grooveshark and Spotify, I would choose Spotify (unless the Android/iPhone Grooveshark apps are dramatically better), but since Spotify is cheaper than I expected at $10, I can pair it with a grandfathered Grooveshark subscription.

The wireless syncing works too, launch the app while both you and your PC are on the same wifi and the phone will show up in the Spotify desktop app. Spotify also has a "secret" Linux desktop app that you can only get with an Unlimited or Premium subscription cause they can't figure out how to play ads on it. Also, they haven't gotten local playback working reliably, which is a shame since it appears Spotify can wirelessly sync local files, too.

Edit: Actually local song playback does work, you just have to check to add your songs. Not sure why the official page says it doesn't work.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    If you jump the queue with a premium subscription and grab the app with Impostah, it does work.

It can't have the same breadth of catalog that Grooveshark does since Grooveshark allows users to upload It also picks up files you have the device, does last.fm, radio, offline (automatic, for example, you can set it to offline any song added to particular playlists), and for right now, appears to be reliable (no random decoding errors, taking forever to load songs, etc etc). For the mobile experience, if I had to choose between Grooveshark and Spotify, I would choose Spotify (unless the Android/iPhone Grooveshark apps are dramatically better), but since Spotify is cheaper than I expected at $10, I can pair it with a grandfathered Grooveshark subscription.

The wireless syncing works too, launch the app while both you and your PC are on the same wifi and the phone will show up in the Spotify desktop app. Spotify also has a "secret" Linux desktop app that you can only get with an Unlimited or Premium subscription cause they can't figure out how to play ads on it. Also, they haven't gotten local playback working reliably, which is a shame since it appears Spotify can wirelessly sync local files, too.

Edit: Actually local song playback does work, you just have to check to add your songs. Not sure why the official page says it doesn't work.
    I'm a little confused. Can I use it on the TouchPad for $5 monthly or is that a "mobile" subscription?
    I have some kind of beta spotify app on my Pre, can't remember how I got it. I'm guessing from your post the $5 sub it won't work on the Pre unless I am on the same wireless network as the TouchPad.
    An exclusive invitation to join Spotify from Trent Reznor - Spotify

Here's an invite to Spotify from Trent Reznor.

You click on it and it says it's all out of invites...(after you've entered your email), but it says it will get you spotify as soon as it can.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I'm a little confused. Can I use it on the TouchPad for $5 monthly or is that a "mobile" subscription?
    I have some kind of beta spotify app on my Pre, can't remember how I got it. I'm guessing from your post the $5 sub it won't work on the Pre unless I am on the same wireless network as the TouchPad.
    No, $5 subscription is for unlimited and ad-free desktop listening. I think the free ad-supported service has a 10 hour/month listening limit. The $10 subscription is the one that lets you offline songs and get Spotify on mobile.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I paid for a month to try it out, I don't know if I'll keep paying or not.

However, the PC client seems to be separating a ton of my local albums into separate entries, which is annoying and means I wouldn't play local music through its player. And this is stuff legitimately purchased through Amazon MP3.

Also, no idea why some tracks are grayed out in the PC client, despite seemingly being available for streaming. Couldn't find an answer to that anywhere.

The webOS client does work using Impostah to install it, I'd have to imagine that they'll put it in the US App Catalog in the next few days. My qualms about that are with offline mode. It seems you need to pick specific playlists to sync for offline playback. To me, it'd make more sense to additionally start caching my queue. For example, I start an album for playback when I get on the bus, and by the time I'm on the subway (hopefully) the rest of the album has cached enough so that it'll keep playing without interruption. The only way that works now is to take the album, add it to a playlist, wait for it to download the entire album, and then play it back from the local storage.

Grooveshark does have better selection, but it's like being back in the days of Kazaa where things are often mislabeled, missing tracks, or just otherwise don't always sound great. With Spotify, yeah some stuff is missing (Tool and Metallica seem to be the two big ones missing in Spotify after it scanned my local stuff) but what's there is all correct, and it all sounds great.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/14/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I paid for a month to try it out, I don't know if I'll keep paying or not.

However, the PC client seems to be separating a ton of my local albums into separate entries, which is annoying and means I wouldn't play local music through its player. And this is stuff legitimately purchased through Amazon MP3.

Also, no idea why some tracks are grayed out in the PC client, despite seemingly being available for streaming. Couldn't find an answer to that anywhere.

The webOS client does work using Impostah to install it, I'd have to imagine that they'll put it in the US App Catalog in the next few days. My qualms about that are with offline mode. It seems you need to pick specific playlists to sync for offline playback. To me, it'd make more sense to additionally start caching my queue. For example, I start an album for playback when I get on the bus, and by the time I'm on the subway (hopefully) the rest of the album has cached enough so that it'll keep playing without interruption. The only way that works now is to take the album, add it to a playlist, wait for it to download the entire album, and then play it back from the local storage.
    Very helpful feedback. I thought I read somewhere that HP is also debuting a music service, maybe plans are not fully baked yet so perhaps I will wait awhile to see what develops.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast