Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Rebel6381
  • 1 Post By bgc42169
  1.    #1  
    There are endless reasons why Java on webOS would be an awesome plus! Personally I need it to connect to my company's wireless network that uses Cisco Clean Access. While the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client does connect, Clean Access requires Java to verify the operating system.

I have read the thread about the Chomper JVM that's available for webOS 1.4.5/2.0 and while that is great and all, it's not a solution from HP.

HP, please HELP!!!
    tomheron, pezman726 and avonpok like this.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have the same issue here getting stuck by the Clean Access Java requirement. While it isn't an ideal solution, is there a way we could modify the user agent string to make the server think the Touchpad is actually an iOS device? I know we don't want to generate more iOS traffic online but that seems to be the only solution until either a homebrew or HP java solution rolls out.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I would like the JVM so I can use WebEx for meetings on the touchpad. That would make it very useful for me. Hell they want to make this a business tool that is a major requirement for my work position.

anyone from homebrew want to take this on I will be a guinea pig.
    LewisL77 likes this.
    I have JRE6 running on my touchpad using xecutah and the ubuntu chroot. I wanted to be able to monitor my production servers with a java app I helped write and use remote desktop. Ubuntu on touchpad lets me do it, maybe it can work for you.
    Java is garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Java is garbage.
    Too true, but lots o' folks be needing it for their apps...
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    I have JRE6 running on my touchpad using xecutah and the ubuntu chroot. I wanted to be able to monitor my production servers with a java app I helped write and use remote desktop. Ubuntu on touchpad lets me do it, maybe it can work for you.

How did you go about installing it? I dont have SSH installed. I did get Preware installed other other day using my Windows7 machine, could not get it installed using Windows XP though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc42169 View Post
    How did you go about installing it? I dont have SSH installed. I did get Preware installed other other day using my Windows7 machine, could not get it installed using Windows XP though.
    It's a bit more complicated than just installing preware.

Go here for more info..

webos-internals UbuntuChroot

Follow the instructions to get ubuntu running. once you have that, you can install whatever linux packages you need. start with some sort of desktop environment (lxde for me) and go from there.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    Pezman,

How did you get JRE6 to run on your Touchpad. I got ubuntu chroot working fine and LXDE. What repository did you use. I installed openJDK but there is an error with icedtea6.....and i cannot find a sun-java6-bin that will work?

Thanks in Advance
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    @marpol. Did you ever get this to install? I am in the same boat and can not get a working copy....